dilbert said:
ishdakuteb said:
- neuro: have shared knowledge via discussion and have contributed times to provide good examples.
- aglet: nothing but trying to bash canon, talk crap and take crap images (A2BArt.com - moving your imagination )
- dilber: ditto (same exact the next previous one, aglet, except link to website)...

note: beside canon, i also like nikon, fuji, pentax... but NOT sony and hp

Let me put it another way:
neuro: bashes every camera/lens manufacturer except Canon, regardless of how good/bad the product is.
dilbert: bashes any company that dilbert sees as having a weak product

i am not sure as if week product simply because i:
1. do not have enough tools and information to judge/test (note: field test should be tied if correct exposure)
2. do not know from a to z, another word, in and out of it

but i know for sure that you do not know what you are talking about? do you involve in designing sensor, integrate sensor, testing sensor... especially you do not know what you were saying in this following post:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8105.msg404923#msg404923

post your or raw file with meta data files here so that people know what i am talking about.... "Unfortunately it gets converted to sRGB for the web" <-- if this in rgb format, it look much like CRAAAAPPPPP

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Nikon put zebra striping on their second tier pro body? And you can calibrate the LCD, and they're upgrading their RAW editor? Sounds like they've been doing some listening.

I almost wish I had some Nikon glass right now.
This camera is to the D800 what the 5D3 was to the 5D2, pretty awesome... and about two years too late.

When the 5D4 launches next year with built in Wi-Fi, radio flash command (fingers crossed), and whatever crazy new tech Canon is cooking up to be revealed this fall, it'll be back to square 1.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Aglet said:
The changes between the d800s and d810 are not insignificant

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o/57qXCcC4VtbrorNNsWOsXvKoNmM/PDF/D810-D800-D800E_Comparison_Sheet_en.pdf

but neither at they significant enough to convince me to upgrade my stable of 800/e at this time.
The improved battery life is big. and the increased fps, AF, metering, etc.
And if the 64 ISO is real then maybe we'll see DxOmark results showing it a wee bit closer to 14 stops worth of DR at the pixel level.

Some more insight: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3735622860/nikon-d810-what-you-need-to-know?slide=2

Upvote 0
You shouldn't be afraid of Internet forum trolls, I like to think of them as holes in your favourite pair of pants, but what are you going to do? Not wear your pants? C'mon son.

Anyway back in topic, if I was a Nikon shooter I would be annoyed at so many incremental updates to their cameras as in certain cases I would feel I have to upgrade ie an oil splattering d600 to a d610

This upgrade looks like a good upgrade to the d800 I just wonder how long Nikon is planning to keep this model before a new upgrade or if this is the peak of the d800 series.

And I hope everyone on the forums likes my pictures, I share them because I enjoy them and hope to use criticism to improve my photography:)

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, calm down please!

Everybody has his own photographical taste! Please do not be narrow-minded and fundamentalistic, there are many different opinions in this forum, and this ist good so! There is no reason to attack someone.

Back to the topic:
My husband told me via skype that he met two Japanese managers in his Brasilian hotel yesterday, who proudly photographed with the D810. They wore expensive shirts saying D810... Good advertisement for Nikon.
Maybe Mr. Dilbert is rihgt, cheaper and easier production, and earning as much money from one product as possible. Nikon learns from Canon.

But he Japanese told my husband that there are many things made better. Summed up, the D810 is quite an worthy evolution. My husband will buy one too ::) (As he owns the D800)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sagittariansrock said:
neuroanatomist said:
sagittariansrock said:
Can someone (I am thinking of you, jrista) explain why no low-pass filter is better than a non anti-aliasing one (except to Nikon, who can probably save some money).
Thanks

No OLPF is better in that there are fewer layers of material over the photodiodes (the OLPF is two layers of lithium niobate plus a 1/4-wave plate, not sure of the material, maybe quartz?). Same idea as using a top quality UV/clear filter vs. no filter – probably not much of an IQ hit, but maybe some under certain circumstances. With the D800/E, the 'inactive' OLPF was in there so everything else could be the same (image sensor mounting, piezo drive for the self-cleaning sensor, etc). Standardizing on one model means they can eliminate the OLPF entirely.

There's still the IR cut filter over the sensor to protect from dust and to vibrate for the self-clean.

Thanks, Neuro.
I was also under the erroneous impression that it is the OLPF that does the dance.

I'm not sure about Nikon, but on Canon cameras it's the IR-cut filter and one half of the OLPF that are moved, while the other half of the OLPF stays with the fixed sensor.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
sagittariansrock said:
neuroanatomist said:
sagittariansrock said:
Can someone (I am thinking of you, jrista) explain why no low-pass filter is better than a non anti-aliasing one (except to Nikon, who can probably save some money).
Thanks

No OLPF is better in that there are fewer layers of material over the photodiodes (the OLPF is two layers of lithium niobate plus a 1/4-wave plate, not sure of the material, maybe quartz?). Same idea as using a top quality UV/clear filter vs. no filter – probably not much of an IQ hit, but maybe some under certain circumstances. With the D800/E, the 'inactive' OLPF was in there so everything else could be the same (image sensor mounting, piezo drive for the self-cleaning sensor, etc). Standardizing on one model means they can eliminate the OLPF entirely.

There's still the IR cut filter over the sensor to protect from dust and to vibrate for the self-clean.

Thanks, Neuro.
I was also under the erroneous impression that it is the OLPF that does the dance.

I'm not sure about Nikon, but on Canon cameras it's the IR-cut filter and one half of the OLPF that are moved, while the other half of the OLPF stays with the fixed sensor.

Yep and Canon will end up selling about 10 cameras to us lot on forums and totally kill their regular sales with such a niche product. The beauty of the 5DIII and 1Dx cameras is that they are increadibly versatile, more than any other DSLR in history...is it no wonder they are selling so well and for such a premium?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
Up until the point where you mentioned that you wanted/expected a pat on the back, I might have believed you (that your goals weren't ego driven.)

'Pat on the back' was meant as a trivial expression of no significance...something to put in as the opposite of being banned. Also, I stated it would go to the person receiving the most votes in the hypothetical poll...sounds like you've capitulated...

dilbert said:
neuro: bashes every camera/lens manufacturer except Canon, regardless of how good/bad the product is.

So, you admit that your raison d'être on these forums is to bash companies. Mine is not. Maybe you missed the several posts where I explicitly stated the D800E/14-24 combo is ideal for landscape shooting, and if that were my main focus I'd already have bought one? So you are wrong...as usual.

I do frequently point out the logical and factual errors made by those bashing Canon (your posts are replete with such errors), and the fact that most of those bashing Canon's sensor performance are in what is a very tiny minority of dSLR buyers...and I support my statements with facts (correct ones, something else you seem to have difficulty accomplishing).

I suggest you go and crawl back under your bridge.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
I don't quite understand Nikon's strategy i.e. introduce faulty products and expect those you bought those faulty units to shell out more money to buy the replacements ... case(s) in point: SB 900, D600, 800E ... no wonder they are rapidly losing market share ... the only company that seems to benifit from Nikon's mistakes is Sony, who seem to be gaining some of Nikon's market share.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
ishdakuteb said:
post your or raw file with meta data files here so that people know what i am talking about.... "Unfortunately it gets converted to sRGB for the web" <-- if this in rgb format, it look much like CRAAAAPPPPP

I've looked at the images you've posted to CR and if you're proud of them then I'll just say that we have very different tastes in photographs or what makes a photograph good.

I am proud of them when comparing to yours ONLY...

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
R1-7D said:
You approach every thread relating to sensors with your DxO "score book" and you rattle on and on about dynamic range. We all get it -- the Sony sensors DO have better dynamic range; but I can list off a bunch of things the Canons still do better than competing brands, including Nikon. If your Canon isn't meeting your needs, and you need all the DR you claim, and print the size of a school bus then why don't you switch already? Nikon seems the most reliable for delivering what YOU want. Canon will continue to make all-round "meet-most-of-consumer-demands" style cameras and be very successful until the market indicates they need to change. So far, their approach is winning and Nikon's recent updates show they aren't. Bummer.

Whatever aglet does is his own concern. Maybe it is neuro's alter-ego ;)

Also, just to defend Neuro a bit here: he has spent countless hours posting on this forum, and his technical knowledge is second to none. To be honest, I don't know how he does it sometimes, because watching you argue with him is a bit like watching someone hit their head against a brick wall; he refutes your claims and your so-called "facts" and then you either misinterpret or ignore a point he has made and continue to prater on with Aglet in-tow. Neuro does deserve a pat on the back if for only having the patience to politely continuing to respond to you.

It is one thing for you say he deserves a pat on the back but it is completely different for him to say that of himself. I hope you recognize why. Actually, most of the time neuro criticises me he picks on me for mistaking a rather large lens for being a complete camera.

But I will say this - I almost never criticise a person for what they've said, my beef is always with the companies that produce the stuff we consume. I find little to no reason to get personal in arguments because it will never end well. Finally, I'm not going to get into a conversation about personal behavior or posting. If you think I'm an idiot for posting what I do, good for you - it won't make any difference to me or my life. (Nor will anyone else saying that or whatever other opinion they have.)

You may not often directly criticize people, however you very often come off as berating them. You are constantly antagonistic. People are here on CR forums to talk about, and rumormonger a bit about, CANON cameras. Were all happy, having a fun time doing that...until you come along. Then it's just antagonize, antagonize, antagonize. You just can't let it rest, despite the fact that 90% of the time, you only account for ONE IQ factor, and ignore all the rest, and that 90% of the time, your claims about cameras are FLAT OUT WRONG.

So, why do people criticize YOU personally? Because your antagonistic, because you directly and purposely interfere with the benign and otherwise enjoyable experience that people come to these forums for. Your the anti-Canon guy, you personally have decided, not just for yourself but for everyone, that there is only ONE thing that has any meaningful impact on IQ, and by god your GOING to FORCE people to acknowledge YOUR view on why Canon just flat out sucks, and is unworthy of ANY admirers.

Seriously, Dilbert...you actually wonder why people criticize you personally when ^^ THAT ^^ is your M.O.?

Why not let people do what they came here to do, without having to fear being berated by you because they like something you personally consider inferior? The explicit purpose of THIS place specifically is CANON brand discussion. It is NATURAL for people who have an affinity for CANON to come to THIS forum, and ENJOY talking about THEIR PREFERRED brand. They also have a RIGHT to be able to chat about their preferred brand WITHOUT fear of someone, like you, coming down on them for it.

Oh, and, just for the record...while you may not "directly" or "obviously" criticize anyone, you are a master at inferring that criticism when you want to, and in the case of Neuro and often myself, it's often quite obvious.

So...why not just back off for a bit. Give the people here a chance to breath and speculate on CANON-dedicated forums (even if it's the "Third Party Mfg." forum, were still all primarily Canon fans here, and we have a right to express our preferences without being ridiculed or berated for it).

Upvote 0

Pieces Of E

Canon owners and operators
Dec 10, 2011
www.piecesofeonline.com
When somebody comes out with a DSLR with a global shutter, then we can all say "wow", because that will be something, video-wise that is. Until then, rolling shutter is the bane of the DSLR.

We try and keep our equipment as mint as possible and we shoot as much as we can. Why? 'Cause we can't afford to easily replace it. I would be crushed if I dropped or damaged any of my kit and we have all the boxes and shipped doc for every piece of equipment we own too. I would venture to guess a lot of us here do, hell, it's nice stuff and like someone earlier said, it helps in re-sale when those of us get ready to upgrade.

neuro is about as concise and technical as any person on this forum and I trust his knowledge and judgement, but I also read, listen-to and enjoy everyone's comments, wisdom, experiences and photos as well. Even the heated banter that erupts! Like someone said, "That's Entertainment!" :)
Have a great weekend everyone.

Upvote 0
Rienz, I don't think D800/E was defective in any way...

Another question- so the D810 supposedly has electronic shutter. I know a lot of people were saying implementing this would have removed shutter shake in A7r. What relevance does it have for a dSLR? I suppose it is only useful for mirror lock situations- even then, people generally do fine using 800mm lenses with regular shutter. So what advantage will this electronic shutter produce? Is it relevant for normal people?

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
Upvote 0
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
dilbert said:

So, you admit that your raison d'être on these forums is to bash companies. Mine is not.

Well what do you want me to do, applaud Canon for failing to deliver sensor performance improvements?

If you're happy to accept whatever Canon dishes out to you as gold, fine, but I'm not.

The problem isn't that Canon has failed to deliver sensor performance improvements. The problem is that Canon has failed to deliver sensor performance improvements that match or exceed one particular brand's one particular camera line that you personally in particular have an infatuation with.

Canon HAS been producing improvements in their sensor performance. Canon's High ISO performance across the board has improved DRAMATICALLY since the introduction of the 5D III and 1D X. The 6D's high ISO performance trounces pretty much everything out there (and as a result, is rapidly becoming one of the DSLR cameras of choice for entry-level night sky & astrophotography...it has exceptionally low noise.) The problem here is that the performance improvements Canon HAS made are simply not the improvements YOU want.

You've whittled down the "acceptable performance improvements" argument to ONE SINGLE factor of sensor performance: LOW ISO DR. That's it. Everything else is 100% completely meaningless as far as you, Dilbert the Magnificent, are concerned. You, personally, yourself, have decided hat Canon falls into the top of your bucket of "Bad companies that deserve to be bashed (and, bashed without repercussion or retaliation of any kind upon yourself on a CANON-CENTRIC FORUM full of CANON FANS, BY GOD!! *!!smashfist!!* *stern face*)" because of ONE SINGLE IQ factor.

The problem here is not Canon.

Nor is it Neuro. Nor is it the throngs of Canon fans who like to exhibit their brand preferences or affinities here in Canon Rumor central. No...none of these things or these people are the problem...

dilbert said:
Maybe you missed the several posts where I explicitly stated the D800E/14-24 combo is ideal for landscape shooting, and if that were my main focus I'd already have bought one? So you are wrong...as usual.

Here's a tip for you: rent the D800E and 14-24 from a place local to you in SFBA, drive over to Yosemite, take just that camera and that lens (along with battery, cards, etc.) See if it really is the "ideal" combination for yourself because you won't believe me if I say you're wrong. (Hint: Yosemite is one of the ideal locations to do landscape photography so it should be a match made in heaven ....)

And yes, it is entirely possible I missed where you said the D800E/14-24 is (in your words) ideal for landscape photography simply because I don't make a point of reading every post that everyone makes.

Neuro has said that so many times on these forums I've personally lost count. How can you miss someone saying something so frequently? Unless it's just part of your highly selective process of eliminating the evidence that doesn't support your argument...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I read this:

dilbert said:
But I will say this - I almost never criticise (sic) a person for what they've said, my beef is always with the companies that produce the stuff we consume. I find little to no reason to get personal in arguments because it will never end well. Finally, I'm not going to get into a conversation about personal behavior or posting.

And then I saw this just a few lines up:

dilbert said:
I've looked at the images you've posted to CR and if you're proud of them then I'll just say that we have very different tastes in photographs or what makes a photograph good.

And then I remembered this:

dilbert said:
I can't believe how many of these images have blown highlights.

So, I wonder if someone else is posting under the same "Dilbert" name...if Mr. Dilbert has multiple personality disorder or if he considers it acceptable social behavior to make rude, denigrating comments to insult the abilities of others.

I've certainly been critical of Neuro in the past for some of his sarcastic comments, particularly when they are directed at novice posters. But, I will say this: he has demonstrated the capacity to ratchet down the sarcasm when he's gotten out of line. Mr. Dilbert seems to thrive on making outrageous, rude and insulting comments. To now pretend to be an injured party when he has never hesitated to launch into cruel (and I might add, generally off-base) critiques is pretty much the epitome of hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
neuroanatomist said:
Aglet said:
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
Nikonian linguistic analysis: the -10 suffix translates to 'fixing a problem'. The SB910 fixed the thermal issues of the SB900. The D610 fixed the oil spatter and banned-from-sale-in-China-debacle of the D600. The D810 fixes the problem Nikon had of producing both the D800 and D800E.

I wonder if there is a neuroanatomist-10 in the nikon forums...

+1
perhaps we can start a poll for the most requested/needed feature changes and improvements ;)

I propose a poll to see who among the CR members neuroanatomist, dilbert, or Aglet has provided the most helpful/useful/beneficial information to the other members of the forum. The one with the most votes earns a pat on the back, the other two are permanently banned from CR forums. I'll abide by the results if you two agree to do so as well. What do you say, gentlemen...are you ready to put your reputations on the line?

Where do we sign up ?

Upvote 0