D850 moons the 5D4 with its tilt-screen

foo

Sep 10, 2016
Sharlin said:
Can you? I mean, IIUC many cheaper LCD displays resort to pulsing the backlight at low brightnesses (PWM, pulse width modulation) exactly because fully analog dimming is not feasible even within the narrow range the brightness can typically be adjusted. Both LED and older fluorescent backlights.

Cheaper displays are likely still using flourescent backlights. Those typically can't be adjusted to the same degree as LED and require a high voltage inverter anyway.
Using PWM for LEDs is simply an efficiency thing, the LED is simply fully on, or fully off. You're not having to dissipate power elsewhere. Using a PWM controlled buck regulator to get an analogue voltage for the LED still means additional components and a less than 100% efficiency, getting these things to be equally efficient over a wide range isn't necessarily simple or cheap. Direct PWM control of the LEDs is much easier.

Upvote 0

foo

Sep 10, 2016
rfdesigner said:
Pulsing can be fairly trivially controlled to a 100ns pulse every 1millisecond.. and no one is ever going to see that.. that's only a 10MHz bandwidth.... DC-DC converters can switch at those sorts of speeds.. I've designed a built some like that.

There'll be some EMI related concerns that will have them limiting the range. Laptops are always difficult to get through EMI testing.

anyway.. I'd hope the illuminated buttons on the D850 could be dimmed.. it would be a bit of an oversight if they couldn't be.
I'd hope they're fully adjustable from all the way on to all the way off. At least that caters for everyones personal preferences.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
pwp said:
snoke said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Now that the 5D IV has a touch screen, its very easy to format cards.

What you use My Menu for?

The first thing I do with any new body is set up "My Menu". It a fantastic feature, often overlooked. The first item I program at the top of the list is Format.

-pw

Agreed!

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Jopa said:
privatebydesign said:
What I, personally, would like is a 5DSR II with on chip ADC low ISO noise levels

Lots of people want this ^
Tilt (but not necessary touch) screen actually would be nice for such a fine camera.
Low power camera's Wifi isn't really usable for transfering 60MB+ files, maybe for remote control only?
it's what everyone wants.

Upvote 0
Mancubus said:
I bet this D850 will absolutely destroy the 5D4 in specs. Seems like Nikon is nothing holding back and I wish Canon would do the same on their next camera (but I'm sure they won't).

These are some of the things I'm jealous about (rumors, but very possible):
- sd card slot supports uhs II
- 4k uncropped, and I bet a much better codec than some 90s nonsense
- no AA filter, it's not confirmed but I doubt they will want to make the images soft
- high fps, maybe 9 or 10
- improved low and high ISO, I bet it will blow the 5d4
- 120fps full hd video

I'm also expecting a new record for DR or at least a similar number to the D810.

Canon has other advantages, most related to glass, but imagine how awesome it would be if Canon actually wanted to make a camera to match the competitors.

Another person did this so I will too

- sd card slot supports uhs II (I prefer CF cards so this means little to me --- have fun over paying on those xqd cards too!!!)

- 4k uncropped, and I bet a much better codec than some 90s nonsense (whats video nd why am i using it ever at all????????)

- no AA filter, it's not confirmed but I doubt they will want to make the images soft (sure, this one wouldn't be too bad, but with the MP count on the mk4 it's not really an issue ---that's more a 5ds/R issue)

- high fps, maybe 9 or 10 (I really really really don't need more fps --- 99% of the time I'm on silent mode anyway. If i shot sports more then sure, but, for the low amount of sports I shoot the fps on the mk4 is fine)

- improved low and high ISO, I bet it will blow the 5d4 (I don't buy this one, we're hitting the edge of how far these sensors can go. My guess is the d850 will see improvement but it would be more incremental - not a giant leap.)

- 120fps full hd video (see above - I never use video so this means zero to me)

I'm also expecting a new record for DR or at least a similar number to the D810. (see above, i think the giant leaps forward on DR are done, it's little steps now)

Canon has other advantages, most related to glass, but imagine how awesome it would be if Canon actually wanted to make a camera to match the competitors.

(I guess it depends on what your looking for, what you shoot and how you shoot. Most of these differences aren't things a client will even consider noticing.)

Upvote 0