DARE WE DREAM? Given how good the R5 is, what's left for the R1 to do?

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Obviously, there could be a high-res model: 80MP or something.

I'm hoping for a sensor with built-in ND, 16-18 stop dynamic range, and no rolling shutter. They have a patent for a dual-well sensor that could do all this.

Physical strength of course.

But what else?

• Haha
Reactions: Michael Clark

Aussie shooter

@brett.guy.photography
Dec 6, 2016
Robustness obviously. More battery to drive the big whites faster. better focusing and metering etc due to more powerful processors. All the usual stuff that pros want for professional work flows. But just like the 1dx it will be designed for working pros and will have some cashed up enthusiasts buy it because of the sheer quality. The R5 will be the legendary workhorse that sells in big numbers and will do everything that 99.9% of photographers will ever need.

tpatana

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 1, 2012
Things that have to be done on R1X (or whatever the name is) to make me jump for sure:
-indoor dim gym AF tracking
-viewfinger lag
-battery life

When they make those work on mirrorless body as good as they are today on 1DX lineup, I'm all in.

Battery life I could compromise to some level since carrying more batteries is always possible.

Viewfinder lag I don't know how far I could compromise without testing.

AF tracking needs to be uncompromised stellar performance.

Bennymiata

EOS 6D MK II
A built in SSD, mainly for video, but also in case you forgot a memory card.

IMHO having say a 500GB drive built in would obviate the need for expensive fast cards. You could use plain SD cards and the SSD just copies the files to it when the camera is not so active.
It would make downloading pretty fast too.

Reactions: navastronia

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
EVF latency reduced down to 10ms. Is all what is still has not been confirmed. Canon understand ergonomics, connectivity and build quality requirements perfectly. So ...

Reactions: SwissFrank

marioslrzn

I'm New Here
Mar 11, 2019

IMHO having say a 500GB drive built in would obviate the need for expensive fast cards. You could use plain SD cards and the SSD just copies the files to it when the camera is not so active.
Putting a SSD that’s fast as a CF express built in is not cheap, there’s no way that happens, it would drive the price way to high. I would of prefer dual cfexpress , but I know Canon add it SD for people that didn’t want to buy cf express, but since the price of the camera is $4k doesn’t make since, if you got $4k to buy a camera then hopely you have $200 for 128gb cfexpress.

padam

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 26, 2015
I think the R5 remains the flagship for now, and they will wait for yet another jump in sensor technology to do an even higher tier flagship. And they will come out with super telephotos in the meantime, as I can't see potential buyers relying on EF adapters all the time. The 1DX III hardware is certainly good enough as a basis for the first model, if they want to do one, but I think they prefer to shift some 1DX III bodies for now.

Treyarnon

EOS T7i
Jan 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Visit site
We need to see the 'finished product' on the R5 and R6.
For me the big challenge on the R5 is the price - will it be able to hit a realistic price point?
Here in the UK, the Sony A7R4 currently retails at £3k - If Canon can get clost to that for the R5, then let the party commence.

Reactions: Chris.Chapterten

Aussie shooter

@brett.guy.photography
Dec 6, 2016
We need to see the 'finished product' on the R5 and R6.
For me the big challenge on the R5 is the price - will it be able to hit a realistic price point?
Here in the UK, the Sony A7R4 currently retails at £3k - If Canon can get clost to that for the R5, then let the party commence.
It will cost more than the A7r4. It is a major step up but apparently they are suggesting under 4k US dollars. So still very very competitive considering what you get.

Reactions: pj1974

canonnews

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
Obviously, there could be a high-res model: 80MP or something.

I'm hoping for a sensor with built-in ND, 16-18 stop dynamic range, and no rolling shutter. They have a patent for a dual-well sensor that could do all this.

Physical strength of course.

But what else?
hmm..

24MP
30 fps electronic shutter
Bird, Animal, Alien,Human eyeAF
1 series ergonomics
1 series build quality
LP-E19 battery, thus better battery life
4K240p
1DX Mark III's joystick
dual CFE

I doubt global shutter,etc. current sensor technology is more than fine.

the big draw of course, is that it will smell, feel, handle, and taste like a 1 series camera body to get the pros to convert over. I mean that's the main thing, other than that it has to match or exceed the 1DX Mark III's specifications in such a way to draw over the pros. your ideas on the sensor? not really necessary because most of the pros shoot jpeg that use the 1 series. I can't see that as a big migration draw from the 1DX Mark III. Sorry.

I think what will determine if the 1 series RF camera body migrates the pros well will be the lenses. I suspect dual linear AF super telephotos with extremely fast focusing - even faster then their EF counterparts. Probably not much size or weight savings, but simply faster. They may do some tricks such as matched DLO profiles for the super's so that each super telephoto has it's own generated DLO profile instead of a stock one. They may even pull out the DO stops with matching DLO .. that may make things alot better there as well. so you have the size savings of DO with the computational correction of DLO. Delicious.

what would be compelling is a 5G connection module that allowed for a continuous image.Canon connection and automatic distribution of images,etc. If they could pull that off .. well, that would be game over Nikon and Sony. Just call it a day, and make consumer cameras.

Other than that the main feature needs to be how this camera is for the working professional. EVF, performance, etc has to be top notch and better than anything else out there.

Last edited:

canonnews

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
I think the R5 remains the flagship for now, and they will wait for yet another jump in sensor technology to do an even higher tier flagship. And they will come out with super telephotos in the meantime, as I can't see potential buyers relying on EF adapters all the time. The 1DX III hardware is certainly good enough as a basis for the first model, if they want to do one, but I think they prefer to shift some 1DX III bodies for now.
R1 was scheduled to come out in 2021.

That was mentioned in a legit japan newspaper a while back.

With the olympics postponed to 2021.. you can bet your lucky silver dollar that Canon will move heaven and earth to make those games about the R5 and R1 now. Releasing 3 super telephotos at once is nothing for Canon.

Codebunny

EOS RP
Sep 5, 2018
Key things that will separate the R1 will be:
  • Start up time
  • Screen startup and latency
  • Battery life
  • Ports (Ethernet comes to mind as a must have)
  • Lower resolution for more “real-time” processing at an event
  • AF speed (Not just software but the bigger battery to drive some lenses faster as previous 1D models did)
  • The better ergonomics of the 1D including the build in grip, larger grip, and heavier body so your gimbal is easier to balance with a big white.

Reactions: canonnews

Treyarnon

EOS T7i
Jan 11, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Visit site
It will cost more than the A7r4. It is a major step up but apparently they are suggesting under 4k US dollars. So still very very competitive considering what you get.
Will it be??
It's only a major step in video features. So we come back to that age old question - does video specs cause the price to increase?
Because if it does, can I have one without the video please?
(Assuming the usual $1 = £1) If the R5 is priced at £4k, I can see that being a very tough sell to stills shooters.

As far as I can see, the R5 is looking like an A7R3 with better ergonomics, and a few extra bells and whistles. The A7R3 can be had for £2.2k now. I would much rather have an R5, but £1800 is a lot of cash. The value proposition of the R5 will have to make sense, or Canon will need a camera aimed at stills shooters.

• Haha

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
The Canon 5 Series are basically wedding cameras. They are certainly usable for general purpose cameras and many use them for sports and wildlife, but Canon usually changes the series number when they change the basic underlying marketing target for a body. Higher end video plays into the current wedding usage, and the 5D MK II opened up a secondary market for cinema that Canon did not expect. They will certainly be making sure those two areas are covered.
Canon reserves higher end features for 1 series models, don't expect them to put everything they know how to do in a 5 series model.

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

SSDs are not the best choice for permanently installed non-volatile memory, where write cycles eventually wear them out. Especially not for bodies designed to bang away, day after day, week after week, for many years up to and exceeding 1 million shutter actuations.

A CFExpress card is essentially a portable SSD in small form factor that can be easily replaced by the end user if they need more storage or to swap it out due to approaching the expected end of life cycle. It costs no more to use a removable memory card than to solder the same amount of memory with the same performance characteristics into a camera's guts. But it certainly would cost a lot more, both in terms of money and down time, to replace memory installed inside the camera.

The memory installed in a camera used for the buffer is volatile memory, which does not retain any information when power is interrupted. Though volatile memory can also eventually wear out due to the number of write cycles, it's more durable in this respect than non-volatile memory is. No one wants to place their images in volatile memory any longer than absolutely necessary, due to the chance of a momentary power interruption causing the total loss of all stored images.

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020

Not a fan of built in storage solutions. What happens if you outgrow the capacity? It's the same thing with current generation smartphones, you go in thinking you don't need that much storage, and then you realise post-purchase that you actually do need a lot more capacity. CFexpress is good enough.

Aussie shooter

@brett.guy.photography
Dec 6, 2016
Will it be??
It's only a major step in video features. So we come back to that age old question - does video specs cause the price to increase?
(Assuming the usual $1 = £1) If the R5 is priced at £4k, I can see that being a very tough sell to stills shooters.

As far as I can see, the R5 is looking like an A7R3 with better ergonomics, and a few extra bells and whistles. The A7R3 can be had for £2.2k now. I would much rather have an R5, but £1800 is a lot of cash. The value proposition of the R5 will have to make sense, or Canon will need a camera aimed at stills shooters.
It has far more benefits than just the video. As you mentioned the ergonomics are better and most photographers would pay more just for that. But is also has access to better lenses. Likely better build quality and reliability(although that is just an assumption based on historical performance). Better support(although how that plays out after covid who knows). Resolution is lower but TBH 45mp is a better sweet spot for most than 60odd so the resolution is neither here nor there. Providing it does not simply fall apart straight out of the box then in my opinion it is a big step up from an A7r4. Still. there are a few things we need to learn before that can be said definitively. Most notably the AF performance. That could change things but if the 1dx3 is any indication then again I would say the AF will be neither here nor there compared to the sony. No better or worse.

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Will it be??

Sorry not happening. Why would Canon do that just to appease a segment (IMHO a small segment) of the customer base? Better to charge as much as possible (without putting off the majority of customers) from the widest slice of the customer base. It's all about the $$.