Data Security And the Kamikaze Pilots in Canon Rumors

axtstern

EOS M(ediochre)
Jun 12, 2012
Reading trhough the forum posts I sometimes get scared how brutal some members here violate the basic protection of themselves or others with their pictures.

A much respected and gentle forum user here has posted so many pictures of his home, his family his high value photo equipment and other little details like which locks are on which door.... well

In the 'where has the 80D thread gone' post a user is bragging about how sharp his pictures of licence plates from cars passing by are, giving multiple examples and by this making the people of Landkreis Kleve in Germany known to the world.

keep pressing the shutter button folks but do the Vanilla Ice exercise before clicking on publish

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
Ryananthony said:
I call that paranoia.
Worrying about license plates, which are openly visible to the public on the street everyday, may be a little over the top. However concern about public display of expensive equipment with enough information to locate said person and equipment, may be a healthy level of paranoia in today's world.

Upvote 0
Old Sarge said:
Ryananthony said:
I call that paranoia.
Worrying about license plates, which are openly visible to the public on the street everyday, may be a little over the top. However concern about public display of expensive equipment with enough information to locate said person and equipment, may be a healthy level of paranoia in today's world.

I think it would be a lot easier for me to follow one of the hundreds of birders I see locally home one day. That's if I was actually interested in stealing ones gear. Sure if you wanted to go through all the effort locating ones address based on a few pictures of the interior of someone's house, and a couple license plates, the chance of that person being in any sort of reasonable distance of me is ridiculous. You better not take your own vehicle any more when you go out with your expensive gear. Someone might take down your plate, and look up where you live. Yea, I'm going to go follow someone with a 1dxii and 600f4 home, BRB.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Don Haines said:
Fortunately for me, I do not have high end cameras, plus I have a very short tempered old cat with long sharp claws to defend my home.... and even if you get away with the crime, you will be picking cat hair off your clothing for the next three years.....

So it's your cat that attacks the postman delivering mail in that youtube vid Don? :D

Upvote 0

axtstern

EOS M(ediochre)
Jun 12, 2012
Maybe I deserve the ironic comments.
My job was for many years to fight organized crime.
In the case I described you do not need to be organized because the future victim delivered all the intel for free

If a middle aged man posts pictures of himself wearing the yearly income of an middle class citizen in equipment over his shoulders, the picture containing the Gps information and reading other posts of him showing his house in a variety of angles like a walkthrough for a computergame.... I do not need to be a Canon fan who walks on the dark side, being a regular gangster is probably sufficient

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
axtstern said:
Maybe I deserve the ironic comments.
My job was for many years to fight organized crime.
In the case I described you do not need to be organized because the future victim delivered all the intel for free

If a middle aged man posts pictures of himself wearing the yearly income of an middle class citizen in equipment over his shoulders, the picture containing the Gps information and reading other posts of him showing his house in a variety of angles like a walkthrough for a computergame.... I do not need to be a Canon fan who walks on the dark side, being a regular gangster is probably sufficient

It is just easier to find a local victim.

Guido probably isn't looking for the next big camera heist.

My name is Charles Diaz. I live in Mesquite, Nevada. I drive a POS Suburban with a Nevada plate reading 781 YAB.

The local Salvadorian MS13 gang members are far more interested in getting their drugs into Utah and the I-15 and I-70 corridors than my 5D Mark III and L lenses.

That is the organized crime around here.

LDS said:
Old Sarge said:
Worrying about license plates, which are openly visible to the public on the street everyday, may be a little over the top.

There's a reason why, for example Google Maps blurs them. Because some people may not like being recorded they were some place some time... and may sue you if he or she has damages.

People's license plates are displayed all day long every single day and are probably recorded by dozens of different cameras on each trip to include parking garages, ATM's, the local Walmart security system, etc.

Google blurs things out because of nuts who file frivolous lawsuits which must be defended whether the case is good or not (Or for regulatory reasons). There are 310,000,000 potentially frivolous
lawsuits in this country alone.

In Canada a woman sitting on her front porch (face blurred out) won $2,500 because the street view car caught her with a partially exposed breast.

Getting bent over license plates is nuts. They are always exposed. So is a person's address. So is a person's face and children's faces. Filing a lawsuit because one allowed one's breast to be partially exposed and it got caught on camera is just plain stupid. That's like wearing a low cut blouse with no bra and then getting angry because I notice. Cover them up!

Now go google my name and city, state and see what Google doesn't cover up. Google yourself.

License plates and your photo are the least of your worries, as is photos of the house and kids.

I'd be more worried about bank personnel and government agency employees than some hood on the street. That and your own family.

BTW: Your house floor plan is available at the local building inspector's office.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:

People's license plates are displayed all day long every single day and are probably recorded by dozens of different cameras on each trip to include parking garages, ATM's, the local Walmart security system, etc.

Getting bent over license plates is nuts. They are always exposed.

I'd be more worried about bank personnel and government agency employees than some hood on the street. That and your own family.

BTW: Your house floor plan is available at the local building inspector's office.

These are all true, but miss a basic point of safety: while there is no way to be 100% safe, the goal of safety is to put up impediments to crime that will slow down the criminal and make it more likely he (usually it's he) will be caught. Although you are correct that all of this is public information, it's also true that not all of it is easily searchable. We're aware of how "big data" uses thousands of tiny pieces of info about us to make guesses about our lifestyles; likewise, if there were such a thing as a searchable database of information that criminals could use, then it would be easier for slightly-sophisticated criminals to determine which house is the most vulnerable.

As you correctly point out, keeping YOUR data safe doesn't appreciably make YOU safer -- there are other things you can do for your personal safety. On the other hand, keeping EVERYONE's data safe does appreciably keep EVERYONE safer. For example, you point out bank and government employees: the reason they're in a position to commit crime is that they have access to a database of victims to choose from. The same holds for "big data" companies that have enough information about you to determine when you're likely to be home, what items you've recently purchased, etc.

Data privacy is for the collective good, not so much for individual good. Of course, you should also take appropriate action for your individual security.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
In Canada a woman sitting on her front porch (face blurred out) won $2,500 because the street view car caught her with a partially exposed breast.

That's like wearing a low cut blouse with no bra and then getting angry because I notice. Cover them up!

I'd have to see the offending image :)

No, don't cover them up :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
danski0224 said:
CanonFanBoy said:

That's like wearing a low cut blouse with no bra and then getting angry because I notice. Cover them up!

I'd have to see the offending image :)

No, don't cover them up :)

:D :D :D

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Orangutan said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Getting bent over license plates is nuts. They are always exposed.

These are all true, but miss a basic point of safety: while there is no way to be 100% safe, the goal of safety is to put up impediments to crime that will slow down the criminal and make it more likely he (usually it's he) will be caught. Although you are correct that all of this is public information, it's also true that not all of it is easily searchable.

If I am your neighbor or friend all I would need is your name and age (not even your birth date and within a year or two in age), know you wife's or ex-wife's name and in a very few minutes I can have nearly your family tree. I can also pay $20 and find out your criminal record, etc... I can find all kinds of things that are freely searchable and cost nothing. Just a few tidbits from casual conversation and that's it.

Like I said before, photo's of a guy's home interior and what kind of locks are on the door is nothing. There are plenty of people close and not to close to a person who can find out all they need to know. Most people have no idea how to apply GPS coordinates and Jimmy the burglar isn't going to that extreme to plan his next drawer rifling session.

Here's the kicker: Most people don't care. They don't. The other thing is that recidivist criminals have an IQ (on average) 10 points lower than the population average of 100.

A guy coming after your camera gear and planning a home invasion to get it is not searching forums like this for your gear. He isn't looking for GPS information on photos, and he couldn't care less about which locks are on your doors.

Online security is one thing. Being paranoid is another. Saying a guy has the yearly equivalent of a middle class income hanging around his neck is an exaggeration.

One is far more likely to be robbed doing street photography or at the local park.

The thug isn't willing to work hard enough nor is he motivated enough to do all the cyber sleuthing sifting through forums and traveling all over the country to steal cameras. He most likely doesn't have access to license plate information either.

I live in an apartment complex the cops visit nearly every other day. There have been lots of arrests here, mostly drug related. Nobody has ever approached me about the gear hanging around my neck. Nobody has even asked about it. I've been stuck here for three years and never had a problem. Think I worry about some yahoo cruising obscure forums who may live a thousand miles away? Nope.

The point is that when it comes to forums... the chance for a crime being committed because of posts is slim and none.

Talking about cyber security is one thing. There is a point to that.

Worrying about license plates, gps coordinates, and addresses, floor plans, door locks, etc. is quite another. I can enter anyone's address into Google maps and get the gps coordinates. So what? I don't need to go through the door to get in the house. I don't need the fricking floor plan once inside. Why? Because even a doofus knows it is best to go in when you ain't home.

I've just got to wait outside for you to come out carrying $40,000 worth ::) (very lower middle class yearly income for two people) of camera gear around your neck and rob you then. :eek: Doh!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
What is more likely to happen is that you are on your way home from a job, park the car, go into a store for a coffee, groceries, whatever...... And when you come out you find your car window smashed and all your gear gone....

And done by someone who never had an online clue that you existed.......

This is particularly common during the Christmas shopping season when they cruise the malls looking for loot in cars.... so, as a reminder to all, NEVER leave your gear visible in a car and never around a mall during "shopping season".

Upvote 0