Deal: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM 1.4x $8799 (Reg $10999)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon USA has the refurbished copy of the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM 1.4x for $8799 (Reg $10999). This lens does not come refurbished direct from Canon very often,
Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM 1.4x features:

Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 200-400mm 1:4 with extender off, 280-560mm 1:5.6 with extender on
Lens Construction: 25 elements in 20 groups (incl 1 rear filter) with extender off, 33 elements in 24 groups (incl 1 rear filter) with extender on
Diagonal Angle of View: 12°-6°10′ with extender off, 8°50′-4°25′ with extender on
Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system
Closest Focusing Distance: 6.6 ft. / 2m
Filter Size: 52mm drop-in
Max Diameter x Length, Weight: 5.0 x 14.4 in/128mm x 366mm, 127.7 oz/3620g

Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM 1.4x $8799 (Reg $10999)

Continue reading...

From its introduction, I thought that the price of this lens was a very temporary branding strategy. It seemed twice as expensive as it’s relative value to the 100 to 400. But I did not estimate the market correctly. It turns out that this is a very popular lens among a few sub segments, including Safari users and sports shooters. That said, it still puzzles me that this lens commands such a high price.

I was able to borrow the lens for a week, and I found it to be about as good at the long end as the F/4 400 DO II, with the added benefit of the zoom but the added problem of a unexpectedly enormous size.

I had expected the retail price to go down just below and 8 or 9000, and the use price to come to something similar or just above the used price of the 400 DO.

In retrospect, I suspect that canon was smart in knowing that the sports shooters have relatively unfettered budgets. This makes it all the more puzzling that they haven’t made a new body for those people in a number of years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I 've used this lens before for wildlife and can vouch for its sharpness. It is indeed comparable to most primes. The only real issue is the weight and the balance which makes it a challenge to handhold and zoom at the same time. Top class lens (especially with the attached TC)...but does require excellent technique to get the max out of it.

Upvote 0
I got the chance to borrow one of these while shooting an event and I really liked it. For me, it was the first time that I was clearly mounting the camera on the lens rather than the other way around. It is great for sports, and I would love to have one on safari. The only problem is that $8799 doesn't include the price of a monopod, a gimbal head for the tripod, the additional hand luggage allowance (you won't want to put this in checked baggage), or the porter that you are likely to need to carry it around for you. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0