Deal: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM $189 (Reg $279)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
One of the few great bargains in the Canon lens lineup is now an even better bargain if you’re willing to go the refurbished route.</p>
<p>The Canon USA Store has the refurbished EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM for $189 compare this to the new price of $279.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://bit.ly/2scM3D4">Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM $189</a></strong> (Reg $279)</p>
<p><em>All refurbished gear from Canon comes with a 1 year warranty and free shipping.</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Apr 23, 2018
i sold all my EF-S glass and moved to EF and EF-M, but wow - this is an incredibly good price for the 10-18!

no other brand in the market offers such value. even before ultra discount offers. Not Nikon, not Sony, not Fuji. availabilty not only of expensive hi-end lenses but also of "very decent IQ lenses at very affordable prices" is a real advantage of the "Canon ecosystem".

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
stevelee said:
I have the EF-S 10-22mm lens. It works well, but I had considered getting a 10-18 for times when I wanted to carry something less bulky than the 10-22. At that price, if I hadn't got my 6D2, I would order this lens right now. The reviews have been very positive.

It isn't that easy a decision between the two. I had the 10-22 prior to buying my 5D3 and sold it when I made the move to FF. (The 10-18 was not available then, if memory serves.)

The 10-18 is a hair sharper, has IS, is less expensive and doesn't require a massive diameter petal hood like the EF-S 10-22 (which can be a pain to put in your bag). However, it has perception/stigma of being cheap with a plastic mount.

However, the 10-22 has a quicker max aperture (2/3 of stop?), has ring USM (a lovely feature we won't see in EF-S again, I think), a distance scale, has a proper metal mount and runs to 35mm FF equivalent on the long end. When I owned mine, it also took the 77mm filters my 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 used, which was a really nice convenience. But it is older, less sharp, lacks IS and costs a lot more.

Perhaps Canon should (ahem) update it's old EF-S USM lenses and actually make this a clearer Good for $279 / Awesome for $799 buying decision. (I won't hold my breath ::))

- A

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I bought the 10-22 when a neighbor was going to be moving to a retirement home, and I took interior pictures for him and gave them to his realtor, also a friend and neighbor. The realtor thanked me with a gift card for an Indian restaurant and hired me to do interior shots of other houses. I think I broke even on Schedule C, so probably also in real life, and I still have the lens. The realtor retired several years ago, and I was stiffed by a retirement home in Salisbury, NC, for whom I did a shoot, so I never made any more money off of it. No regrets, since I'm happily retired and not rich, but not insolvent. For now, I would get out the Rebel and the 10-22 if I needed anything wider than the 24mm side of the kit zoom on my 6D2. That hasn't happened, so I am not itching to get the 16-35mm f/4 too quickly, but I do see it in my future, and there is no motivation to get any EF-S lenses any more. So I'll save my $189 to apply to the 16-35. But that really is a bargain for that lens for anyone still using APS-C cameras.

Upvote 0
I've taken 100's of home interior shots with the 10-18mm lens on my 80D and T6i (I own a custom cabinet shop). This is really a very good wide angle lens and worth every penny (even at $279).
It's a decent landscape lens too. (very sharp)

I now use the 16-35mm f/4L on the 6D2 for all my cabinetry interior shots and have actually notice a bit more distortion with this L lens than the 10-18mm.

The 10-18mm is also really great for videos too as it focuses great and pretty much completely silent when focusing. I would say it's basically a steal at $189

Here's a landscape shot I took with the 10-18mm about 2 years ago.....

Attachments

• IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2222.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
Upvote 0