Deal: ikan IB508-v2 Bi-Color LED Light $319 (Reg $549)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>B&H Photo has the ikan IB508-v2 Bi-Color LED Light in the DealZone for $319 (Reg $549) today only.</p>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal upper product-highlights-header">PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS</p>

<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">Variable Color: 3200-5600K</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">10-100% Dimming</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">LCD Display with Digital Readout</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">1x Diffusion Filter</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Built-in Reflective Barndoors</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Two Sony L-Type Batteries</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Battery Charger Included</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">5/8″ Stand Mount</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">One-Inch Thickness</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="https://bhpho.to/2zBeQau">ikan IB508-v2 Bi-Color LED Light $319</a></strong> (Reg $549) | <strong><a href="https://bhpho.to/2AdCBl1">ikan IB508-v2 Bi-Color LED 2-Light Kit $699</a></strong> (Reg $1199)</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
This sounds like the first low cost LED kit I'd be interested in. Low light output, of course, 1962 lumens which is about what a 32 watt CFL will put out, so its not going to be bright, but they will run on batteries.

There is no way for a low cost led equivalent to my 18,000 lumen output of each of my studio CFL lights. (4 lamps/ fixture). They take 300 watts too, so batteries would be a big issue.

Upvote 0
on led vs cfl:

i'm new to the lighting game, but from my understanding of this, the leds radiate forward with a 120deg sector, while cfls radiate in all directions and at least half of the light output must be reflected to radiate forward...

so is lumens an apples to apples comparison here? or would we need to measure lux reflected off a white target?

my experience here comes from a cheap set of 5x45w head fovitech diffusers vs a single 25 watt forward radiating led lightbulb, and while the 10x45w cfls were 3 stops brighter than the the led, comparing lumens i was expecting the led to be another few stops dimmer.

thoughts?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
kaws said:
on led vs cfl:

i'm new to the lighting game, but from my understanding of this, the leds radiate forward with a 120deg sector, while cfls radiate in all directions and at least half of the light output must be reflected to radiate forward...

so is lumens an apples to apples comparison here? or would we need to measure lux reflected off a white target?

my experience here comes from a cheap set of 5x45w head fovitech diffusers vs a single 25 watt forward radiating led lightbulb, and while the 10x45w cfls were 3 stops brighter than the the led, comparing lumens i was expecting the led to be another few stops dimmer.

thoughts?

I and most others install CFL's in reflectors, I have used LED's, and they are much dimmer, as a person would expect. Do you use CFL's with no reflector?

Upvote 0