Deal: Samyang 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye $145 (Reg $279)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Adorama has the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye for $145 (Reg $279), this is the best price we’ve ever seen on this lens.
This is a great fisheye lens for Canon APS-C shooters, as it’s optically good and definitely won’t break the bank.
Key Features

Ultra wide-angle 8mm fisheye lens
Ultra-wide 167deg
Lens is constructed
Lens features super multi-layer coating to reduce flare & ghost images
Lens has a minimum focusing distance of 12″ (30.48 cm) for enhanced close-up shots
Petal-style lens hood can be removed so as to not interfere

Samyang 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye $145 (Reg $279)

Continue reading...

This mentions this is good for an APS-C camera.

Will this also be well suited for a FF camera like a 5D3?

Or is this just for crop sensors?

TIA

cayenne

On crop sensors, the image will fill the frame completely. On 1.5x crop, it's supposed to give a 180 degree diagonal angle of view. Since Canon is 1.6x crop, it's supposed to give about 167 degree diagonal angle of view. It's a great fun lens, but maybe you have to adjust to focus, i.e. focus scale may not match actual focus distance. https://photonius.jimdo.com/samyang-8mm-fish-eye/

It will fit on a FF camera. The newer version (which seems to be the one shown on Adorama) has a removable hood - the lens as shown on the Adorama site lacks the hood. Thus, you will get a partially circular image, it will be cut at the top and bottom, at the left and right you will have partial circular hard vignetting (you can find samples by searching the internet). When you crop, you should get a 180 degree diagonal field of view, if you want that.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I wish it could give me a full circle like the Canon 8-15 which costs more than $1000, which is a little expensive for me for a lens that I would not use very often.

So the 8mm of Canon seem to be different from the 8mm of Samyang. Otherwise you should get the same circle on both lenses. Of course you can always crop to a circular image, but that would not look the same, as the edges of the circle the Canon lens produces are especially interesting.

The other solution I can think of is taking a photo, than turn the camera 90 degrees and than take another photo. Than you could reproduce the whole circle. That only works with non moving subjects though.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I got a chance to try a 5d4 body last night, and I put this lens on it for a bit. The lens is not a short back-scatter design (so there's nothing jutting behind the mount), so there are no issues with the mirror hitting the rear of the lens.

The image circle is not large enough to cover the entire sensor, but it's also not small enough to show as a complete circle on the full-sized sensor. If you take the hood off, you can get a partial circle where the top and bottom are chopped off.

When I get a chance to look through my photos, I'll try to attach something representational.

Upvote 0