Death of DSLR?

Nov 17, 2011
Film to digital was a paradigm shift.
Taking the mirror out of a DSLR isn’t.

Incidentally, you’re analogy is perfectly spot on, although probably not in the way you intended. There were about 11 million ILCs sold last year. But there were also close to 8 million Fuji Instax camera sold last year and they use...film. So, while I suspect you meant your analogy to suggest that people will stop buying DSLRs just like people stopped buying film...they didn’t. So, an analogy for your analogy is a rake, one that you step on and the handle flies up and smacks you in the face. Well done! ;)

What is your qualification to say "Taking the mirror out of a DSLR isn’t" "paradigm shift"? Are you represent the photography world with that statement???

Did you count number of photos taken with SmartPhones in 2017 yet???

Let's not start a discussion at 5th grader level Neuro.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
What is your qualification to say "Taking the mirror out of a DSLR isn’t" "paradigm shift"?
What is your qualification to say that it is?

Did you count the number of photos taken with P&S cameras in 1997?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
What is your qualification to say "Taking the mirror out of a DSLR isn’t" "paradigm shift"? Are you represent the photography world with that statement???

Mirrorless cameras have been about for over 100 years - in fact the very first cameras were mirrorless and you have to view on the rear screen ;) Since the first days of photography around the late nineteenth century there must have been a tiny amount of reflex cameras made compared with those that didn't use a mirror. In terms of digital there were loads of mirrorless before the dslrs came along. The only real "innovation" is the EVF coupled with a slimmer body that has interchangeable lenses. So the "mirrorless" was born. Took a decade for those cameras to be able to meet dslrs head on. Now they have it's a paradigm shift ? Come on !

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

I don't need to speak for the photography world, I know the definition of 'paradigm shift', and objectively MILCs don't meet it. Widely available, consumer-level MILCs have already been around for longer than the timespan between the wide availability of consumer-level DSLRs and the discontinuation of major-brand film SLRs...yet DSLRs still comprise the majority of the ILC market.

Smartphones? So in your mind, there's no difference between a MILC (which is what you get when you take the mirror out of a DSLR) and a smartphone? There's a game called "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?," that you probably shouldn't play.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

All they have done is take a camera like the Canon S90 and put a FF sensor in it and added another LCD screen as the VF. Where is the 'paradigm' in that?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
All they have done is take a camera like the Canon S90 and put a FF sensor in it and added another LCD screen as the VF. Where is the 'paradigm' in that?
And let’s not forget Olympus and Panasonic who were out there with 4/3 cameras way before Sony...... This is just making the sensor a bit bigger, and is most definitely not a paradigm shift

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
I don't need to speak for the photography world, I know the definition of 'paradigm shift', and objectively MILCs don't meet it. Widely available, consumer-level MILCs have already been around for longer than the timespan between the wide availability of consumer-level DSLRs and the discontinuation of major-brand film SLRs...yet DSLRs still comprise the majority of the ILC market.

Smartphones? So in your mind, there's no difference between a MILC (which is what you get when you take the mirror out of a DSLR) and a smartphone? There's a game called "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?," that you probably shouldn't play.

In other words, your opinions and definition are irrelevant and useless.

“"Are you smarter than a 5th grader?," I didn’t know about this game until now. Are you preparing to beat those kids???

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In other words, your opinions and definition are irrelevant and useless.
LOL. It's not my definition, it's the definition. Sorry you find it useless, but it's a rather sad commentary on you that you're arguing DSLR to MILC is a paradigm shift, but think the definition of that term is irrelevant.

Why don't you read Thomas Kuhn's book where the concept of 'paradigm shift' was described (I did, ~20 years ago) or if that's too much effort, at least read the Wiki page on the concept. Then explain how removing the mirror from a DSLR to create a MILC meets the criteria for being a paradigm shift.

But I'll certainly agree that it's less mentally taxing to just use your own personal definition of a concept than to bother actually comprehending it. So feel free to go on believing that paradigm shift means, "It's different and I think it's kewl."

Ps. Some of those 5th graders could mop the floor with me.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
LOL. It's not my definition, it's the definition.

Ah Neuro, let me explain it to you with examples.....

I had a car with 140 horsepower, now I have one with 160 horsepower.... that's a paradigm shift.....
I used to have a 16 foot Kayak, now I have a 17 footer.... that's a paradigm shift.....
A coffee used to be $1.80, now it is $2.00..... that's a paradigm shift.....

Everybody and their dog made crop mirrorless cameras, but now Sony makes one with a bigger sensor..... that's a paradigm shift....

What you fail to realize is that a paradigm shift means "just like before except slightly bigger" :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Time will show. I feel the oldies everywhere are resistant to change. Remember when digital was introduced the old timers stuck in their thinking insisted film was the only way? It is matter of time when mirrorless will take over.
Many stuck up people in this forum few months ago where saying EVF is rubbish, no need to have mirrorless etc. Canon was a cool company not to have a proper mirrorless etc. Now Canon - is launching it. It is now a matter of time. Not saying tomorrow, but in the near future DSLR as we know today will not be where they are. :cool:

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England

Which is precisely what you've done with your "I know you are, but what am I?" response.

Beemer's i8 concept car was essentially a mirrorless car - was that a paradigm shift too?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/heres-what-a-mirrorless-car-looks-like-2017-4?r=US&IR=T

We don't hear much about it, if it was...

"A different way of doing something" is not a "paradigm shift". You're using the phrase as a lazy, on-trend meme, and using it completely inappropriately.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Time will show. I feel the oldies everywhere are resistant to change.
Nope - they (we) just don't feel the urge to slavishly follow change for change's sake.

Not the same thing at all.
Many stuck up people in this forum few months ago were saying EVF is rubbish

"Stuck up" for pointing out an observable fact? At least try and understand the point before criticising it, eh? Or would I be "stuck up" for observing that I wouldn't really want a dog-crap sandwich for my lunch?
no need to have mirrorless

Another observable fact which is apparently lost on you - nobody needs mirrorless, and - right now - nothing mirrorless brings to the table in terms of the end-result is out of bounds for DSLRs.

That does not mean that people who are currently happy with DSLRs won't move to mirrorless when that's the best option for them. Is the difference really so hard to understand?
Canon was a cool company not to have a proper mirrorless

And you've made that up. Nobody's saying that. Again: Canon seems to be happy to wait until other companies have tested out the market before deciding on its final mirrorless direction.

But to accuse them of not having a "proper mirrorless" is just another work of fiction, and a ridiculous one at that, given that Canon currently has the biggest share of the market...

Just for once, it would be great if one of these threads only dealt with the bloody facts instead of becoming another lies-and-paranoia fest.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Canon only stopped selling it's last 35mm SLR this year, and I'm sure they will continue to produce and sell DSLR cameras as long as there is a demand for them.

But as this demand falls the time between refreshes will increase until we find the last DSLR manufactured by canon (A 1DX Mark III probably) will end up on extended sale for at least a decade from now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Nope - they (we) just don't feel the urge to slavishly follow change for change's sake.

Not the same thing at all.

"Stuck up" for pointing out an observable fact? At least try and understand the point before criticising it, eh? Or would I be "stuck up" for observing that I wouldn't really want a dog-crap sandwich for my lunch?

Another observable fact which is apparently lost on you - nobody needs mirrorless, and - right now - nothing mirrorless brings to the table in terms of the end-result is out of bounds for DSLRs.

That does not mean that people who are currently happy with DSLRs won't move to mirrorless when that's the best option for them. Is the difference really so hard to understand?

And you've made that up. Nobody's saying that. Again: Canon seems to be happy to wait until other companies have tested out the market before deciding on its final mirrorless direction.

But to accuse them of not having a "proper mirrorless" is just another work of fiction, and a ridiculous one at that, given that Canon currently has the biggest share of the market...

Just for once, it would be great if one of these threads only dealt with the bloody facts instead of becoming another lies-and-paranoia fest.
Ah. Yours is the lies and paranoia reply. It was clearly stated that there is no need for mirrorless, they are not worth it. Canon leads the sale and hopefully will continue with the lead - I love the reliability of Canon. But it will now soon be mirrorless. If mirrorless was not going to be the way forward, Canon would not have launched it. As I say, we wait and watch. The change is not that far away...

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I suggest that you read the review of the Z7 on DPR before writing off DSLR's. The Z7 underperforms Nikon DSLR's on almost every statistic, even low cost ones. After reading their review, I felt kind a bad for Nikon, but it illustrates what Canon has said, the current technology of mirrorless is still not good enough to match DSLR's. There may be a very limited area like weight where they excell, but once you add a lens, its not significant.
Agree. But the keyword here is 'current'.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
No, you're not the only one. But then, apparently quite a few people believe the earth is flat.

Nor are you the first. Remember all those predictions that the DSLR would be dead in 5 years? That was back in 2012. But hey, Charlie Brown...go ahead and run at that football again, I'm just sure Lucy will let you kick it this time. ;)

+1

DSLRs will be here for a long time to come.
Ok. They will be here for a while. But mirrorless will take over. We both will see that happening. And earth being flat is a stupid comparison. Stupid and idiotic.

Upvote 0