Deep Sky Astrophotography

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
The Prancing Horse nebula, Rho Ophi Molecular Cloud Complex, and Great Bulge.
Total Exposure: 22x 8.0s @ f/1.4, ISO 1600

I'm loving the new 35L lens if Canon releases a similar 135L update I'll be over the moon.

DSS has been driving me mad. It failed 7 times trying to stack approx 240 light images, every time with a different issue. With great frustration I just ended up stacking 22 tif files with with a manual vignette guestimate, so no proper calibration. I'll try and find out what is going wrong when I've gotten some sleep and have a fresh mind.

Anyway, there is such a wealth of deep sky objects in this region of the Milky way. I hope the next month or so I'll have clear skies again and get a chance to zoom in and get some good quality exposures with more pixels on target.

Attachments

• The Dark Horse Nebula.jpg
    The Dark Horse Nebula.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:

I'm loving the new 35L lens if Canon releases a similar 135L update I'll be over the moon.

DSS has been driving me mad. It failed 7 times trying to stack approx 240 light images, every time with a different issue. With great frustration I just ended up stacking 22 tif files with with a manual vignette guestimate, so no proper calibration. I'll try and find out what is going wrong when I've gotten some sleep and have a fresh mind.

Anyway, there is such a wealth of deep sky objects in this region of the Milky way. I hope the next month or so I'll have clear skies again and get a chance to zoom in and get some good quality exposures with more pixels on target.

I love the results you're getting... your processing is improving nicely.

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:

Nice work! That's a great FoV.

DSS does have a good number of bugs, and it crashed frequently with me as well. That was one of my primary motivations for moving to PixInsight, which allows me to successfully integrate thousands of frames if I need to. It is not free, but it is WELL worth the cost, IMO.

Quick note. The green cast in your image? You can eliminate that with HLVG, or Hasta La Vista Green, a plugin for Photoshop. Or, you can use the SCNR tool in PixInsight. Either will do just fine, and once the green cast is gone, your image will have much better color calibration.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Thanks RFD & Jrista.

That green cast was quite bad and the clarity is also very harsh. My laptop screen is not calibrated... so now that I've gotten to process with my desktop, the colors should be more accurate.

Here is the updated image. I selected the 100 best frames and stacked them using 3x drizzle on portions of frame using 12 portions. I then Stitched the resulting 12 images into a single image and finally cropped in to get roughly 85MP for the final image. (I scaled down for web use)

Attachments

• Great Bulge (web).jpg
    Great Bulge (web).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 226
Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Here is a wide-field shot of Scorpius Constellation including Rho Ophi Molecular cloud. I struggled a bit with my flat and dark-flat frames giving me problems so I stacked without them and manually removed vignette with radial gradient. The color was a bit off though.

Anyway, I edited to try and give as much color and detail to the molecular gas clouds. I was particularly interested in pulling some detail out of the nebula around Jabbah (IC 4592), which was out-of-frame of my previous wide-field shot of of the Scorpius region. I also wanted to get good saturation of the reds on the Cat's Paw Nebula:

Wide-Field of Scorpius Constellation by Omesh Singh, on Flickr

Upvote 0