Deep Sky Astrophotography

Wow! I'm amazed this thread is still going. Glad to see so many of you have gotten into astrophotography. (Heh, it's consumed me for the last few years...went all in on AP, so much so that I sort of wrapped my 600mm f/4 L lens in so much astro-related gear I couldn't really use it for anything else.)

Some nice stuff here, though, guys.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Wow! I'm amazed this thread is still going. Glad to see so many of you have gotten into astrophotography. (Heh, it's consumed me for the last few years...went all in on AP, so much so that I sort of wrapped my 600mm f/4 L lens in so much astro-related gear I couldn't really use it for anything else.)

Some nice stuff here, though, guys.
Welcome back, John!

It's been a long time since your last post.

Upvote 0
While I don't use Canon cameras anymore, as I switched to dedicated, cooled, mono astro cameras a while ago, here is something to get this thread going again:

c8aM4BT.jpg

HOO-styled blend

UXpu82U.jpg

SHO-styled blend

"The Great Wall", part of "North America" nebula in Cygnus. A total of 24 hours of integration, acquired with an ASI183MM Pro camera, cooled to -15C, with AstroDon Ha, OIII and SII 3nm narrow band filters. Acquired with an Astro-Physics Mach 1 GTO mount and Sequence Generator Pro for automation.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jon.
As is usual from you, 2 very good shots. For the uninitiated amongst us (me) could you decifer the jargon please, I have no idea to what you refer with all the letters. Thanks.

Cheers, Graham.

While I don't use Canon cameras anymore, as I switched to dedicated, cooled, mono astro cameras a while ago, here is something to get this thread going again:

HOO-styled blend

SHO-styled blend

"The Great Wall", part of "North America" nebula in Cygnus. A total of 24 hours of integration, acquired with an ASI183MM Pro camera, cooled to -15C, with AstroDon Ha, OIII and SII 3nm narrow band filters. Acquired with an Astro-Physics Mach 1 GTO mount and Sequence Generator Pro for automation.

Upvote 0
Hi Jon.
As is usual from you, 2 very good shots. For the uninitiated amongst us (me) could you decifer the jargon please, I have no idea to what you refer with all the letters. Thanks.

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks, Graham!

For the acronyms, HOO stands for Hydrogen/Oxygen/Oxygen, or Ha/OIII/OIII. It is a particular kind of narrow band blend that gives a "natural" look from a color standpoint (hydrogen gas to reddish or pinkish, oxygen gas to a blue or cyan.)

SHO stands for Sulfer/Hydrogen/Oxygen or SII/Ha/OIII. This is another kind of narrow band blend that is definitely "false color" in that hydrogen-alpha, which is definitely a red emission, is mapped to green. This is also sometimes called the Hubble Palette, as it is the standard blending palette often used for official hubble image reproductions.

The underlying data here is the same...I've just blended the information in different ways to give it a different look.

Upvote 0