Denizens of the Forest Floor

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
If you live in a forest, or have any photos of the forest floor dwellers such as mushrooms, lichens, mosses, etc. this is the place to post them. Macro and close-up work only. Does not matter what lens you use, whether you use extension tubes or reversed lens, etc. so long as magnification is 1:2 or larger (1:1, 2:1, ... 5:1).

Name: Puffball Mushroom (Lycoperdon perlatum)
Edible: Yes (when white inside)
Location: Long Lake, Brainard Lake Recreation Area, Indian Peaks Wilderness, Colorado
Equipment: Canon 7D + EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

denizens-of-the-forest-floor-part-1-horiz-1-of-13.jpg

Fun thread. Here are a couple snaps from recent camping/vacations (JPEG from camera*):

Name: No idea...
Edible: No idea (I didn't try it).
Equipment: Canon G12 :)

Lake_Mary_Fungus.jpg~original

Lake Mary Fungus

Location: Fern Canyon (Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park) Humboldt County, California

Redwood_Mushrooms.jpg~original

Mushrooms On Dead-Fall Redwood

*While the above photos are JPEG, I just installed Lightroom 5 last weekend to start processing RAW (been shooting mostly JPEG up to now). Love it so far...

Upvote 0
danski0224 said:
Well, I don't know what it is, but it is interesting to look at. It was overcast today, so I will try to go back tomorrow when the sun is supposed to be back. The spider off on the center right is a good 2" across.

Looks similar to a giant mushroom organism I have in my back yard. It grows every year, in this one corner of my yard. It gets bigger every year...first year I noticed it, it was about two and a half feet in size. Last year, it was about four feet in size. It seems to be rooted VERY deep (several feet), and I've been unable to kill it...looks awesome, like tiers of mushroom shelves, when it is fresh...stinks to high heavens when it gets old and starts to rot. I yank it out every year at that point, but it is incredibly resilient.

Upvote 0
Famateur said:
Fun thread. Here are a couple snaps from recent camping/vacations (JPEG from camera*):

Lake_Mary_Fungus.jpg~original

Lake Mary Fungus

Location: Fern Canyon (Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park) Humboldt County, California

Redwood_Mushrooms.jpg~original

Mushrooms On Dead-Fall Redwood

*While the above photos are JPEG, I just installed Lightroom 5 last weekend to start processing RAW (been shooting mostly JPEG up to now). Love it so far...

First one looks like some kind of cousin to the Elven Cup, although not identical. Beautiful nevertheless. Not sure what the second ones are, but its an excellent shot regardless!

Upvote 0
Famateur said:
Looks like I had one other fungus pic from that Lake Mary camp-out:

Lake_Mary_Fungus_2.jpg~original

Lake Mary Fungus 2

MMM, nasty! :p I'd guess it ain't edible....looks like some kind of slime moss, but may be something else. Huge, too.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
First one looks like some kind of cousin to the Elven Cup, although not identical. Beautiful nevertheless. Not sure what the second ones are, but its an excellent shot regardless!

Thanks for the compliments! I'm nowhere close to a pro, but my little G12 holds its own pretty well for a point-and-shoot (at least for stationary subjects :) ).

Upvote 0
Not to everyone's taste with so narrow DoF, but it was also a bit of an experiment with the 135 f/2 wide open with extension tubes, close to 1:1.

Name: Wood Sorrel
Edible: I think so
Equipment: Canon 5D MkII + EF 135mm f/2 with 68mm extension tubes

Wood Sorrel by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

And some more conventional.

Name: Tylopilus felleus
Edible: Yes (if my ID is correct :p)
Equipment: Canon 5D MkII + EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Tylopilus felleus by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Name: Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria)
Edible: No
Equipment: Canon 5D MkII + EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Young Fly Agaric by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

I'll have to dig out a couple I've done using the 100mm macro (non-L) with extension tubes, near to twice life size.

Upvote 0
danski0224 said:
Well, I don't know what it is, but it is interesting to look at. It was overcast today, so I will try to go back tomorrow when the sun is supposed to be back. The spider off on the center right is a good 2" across.
It looks like one of the bracket fungi, no idea which one though. Mst of them are associated with specific tree species, so that will help to identify it.

Upvote 0