• 5D mk 2.01

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Yawn

Votes: 29 14.1%
  • Meh

Votes: 46 22.4%
  • I'm excited! (no, really.)

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • $1400 (as in, if it cost that much I might be excited).

Votes: 35 17.1%
  • FF Rebel

Votes: 47 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zlatko said:
It's not "a Rebel body".

It appears to be a lighter, smaller version of the 5D2, with an SD card slot instead of CF. It is almost the same size as, and a little lighter than, a 7D. It likely offers much better high ISO than either a 7D or 5D2 (it has the ISO range of the 5D3).

I'll be interested to learn more about the autofocus: how good overall, how many cross-type AF points and does it offer AFMA?

Keep in mind that the 5D2 was introduced at $2,700 and is now $1,900. That's a 26% price reduction over 4 years. If this new 6D has the same price reduction, it will drop to $1,475 over four years.
In four years the D600 will still be same price as this camera, and will still have much better specs. And I won't be using a DSLR(hopefully), and instead will be using a very similar spec'd D600, but in a mirroless, interchangeable lens body.

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

Every time Canon introduces a camera, there is whining about alleged "greediness" and building things "just for profit". As usual, people are screaming "that's the last straw" and saying they're switching to another brand.

I tried two other brands for an extended period of time, spending quite a lot of money and time on them. My theory was that the grass must be greener across the fence. But working with the other brands made me realize that Canon's stuff is really outstanding, and the other brands weren't any better; they were actually worse in some important details.

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

EchoLocation said:
In four years the D600 will still be same price as this camera, and will still have much better specs. And I won't be using a DSLR(hopefully), and instead will be using a very similar spec'd D600, but in a mirroless, interchangeable lens body.
Good luck with that. But not everything is in the specs. You have to use a camera to really see if it's better or worse.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
itsreallyscott said:
Man 'Screw-Canon' (hyphen to make "one word")
SO basically I spent $1500 for weather sealing on my 5Diii. Plus the $800 on wifi; and to get GPS another $280. The release of the 6D is my tipping point, Canon camera only cares about profit, not innovation. The 5Diii was not the best camera Canon could have released at that price, they intentionally hold back just for profit. The iPhone5 was just released only one year later with better everything then its predecessor and at the same price point; not only that it has better tech then my 5Diii and only cost $167 in material to make. http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4396139/IPhone-5-bill-of-materials-comes-in--167-50?itc=edit_stub
More evidence is the dumbing down of sensors, I'm sure the 6D picture will be 'almost as good' as the 5Diii. The new T4i with Digic 5 should outperform the 7D but Canon wants to keep the out dated 7D selling at least for another year given the recent firmware updates.
I'll keep my Canon cameras because of the lenses, but the fact is others have already beat Canon for less and Canon releases this.

Do you think it's something new that electronics companies (or any company for that matter) has different products at different price points in their line up? They're all cameras so there has to be some differentiation in features, quality, etc. to justify the price.

Upvote 0
I reckon it will make a great 2nd body to my 5D3, even if it is mainly used for video.

Now I can retire my overworked old 60D with over 100,000 shutter actuations and still going strong!

There is always new tech in every new camera.
Some of you are whining because it has GPS and wireless, but I could imagine how much you would whine if it had nothing new in it!

You can't please all of the people all the time...................................

Oh yes, and the price will come down within 6 or so months and then it will be quite affordable too.

Upvote 0
this thread makes me think about how the fanclub of Mac is reacting to everything new. They start crying of joy and lining up to buy stuff, no matter what they release. Hard core Canon users are almost always disatisfied with what canon bring to the market, still they keep using their stuff.

The big reason why canon can afford to dissapoint their user, is that the market for DSLR are booming. Even though they are loosing market share, they are still increasing their production. So, they have probably made their choice, earn money now, hold back the best and when the rising dslr market has been mature its time to shock release inovation again. Or, it is just stupidity behind it. They have grown like a dinosour and have lost the inovation culture, like Sony has done. If so, then the other brands are going to eat a larger part of the cake in 2-3 year. Nikon is definently going to be the big winner here.

The price will fall. As soon as production is up, it will fall with some hundred. It will probably end up right above the 7d price before the summer.

Upvote 0
As usual the complaining starts because either it has something a more expensive camera does not have, or it does not spray unicorn poop and flowers.

This camera is not meant to replace the 5D2, that was the 5D3. The recent pricing of the 5D2 was done to sell off the stock that Canon had in channel and warehouses, as well as serve as a temporary place filler. For those of use who have a 5D (like me) this camera is an upgrade, for those who have any crop camer this is a bridge camera designed to get people into full frame. For the 1st time both Canon and Nikon have full frame cameras in the 2k range!!

For those who complain that the 6D isn't a D600, who gives a rats ass other than those who chew specs. I own 5 full frame lenses and have an IR converted 20D. This new camera becomes my standard color body and my 5D gets IR converted. Perhaps I will get two and IR convert one. The point is that my price point just got sweeter for full frame. 5D2 used bodies will drop to around 1500 so maybe I get two of those, either way I have more options.

Rejoice and stop bitching people.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
EchoLocation said:
insulting.
if they think i'm going to pay 2100 dollars for that, then i am definitely insulted. As someone who owns a 5DC and a 24-105(with some other stuff too,) I can honestly say that the D600 destroys this camera spec wise. And based on the sensor/DR ratings of the D800 vs 5DIII I don't have much faith that the sensor will be as good as the Nikon's.... much less surpass it.
I don't even consider this as an upgrade to the 5DII, and that camera was $1900 new a year ago, with tons of free stuff from Adorama(and I didn't buy it then.)
This camera is DOA for me.

Exactly my feelings.
When the best you can say about a 2100$ camera is that it has built-in wi-fi, there's definitely something wrong. I'm sure Canon fans will try hard and see one drop of water in the glass like a half-full glass, but to what extent can you do that? This camera should cost 1300$.

Upvote 0
B

baronng

totally agree! piece of ****
11 af points and 97% VF, no built-in flash.........really amazing
I cannot imagine a 2100 USD piece of camera has such "features"

AvTvM said:
piece of cr*p!

20D, 5D I ... AF .. all over!

For USD 999,- it would have been a lame "FF-Rebel". At USD 2100,- Canon is committing sppuku.
Double homerun for Nikon. D800. ANd even the weak D600 scores big time.

Canon ... go home!

Upvote 0
So I guess the intro-FF line is here to stay. While the 5D2 fits quite well in this bracket, it is after 4-years old technology. While it is cool to see a replacement in this category, it is a pity that they remove the CF card slot.

In a way, this is like the expected replacement for I'd expect back in March... if that was the case, there would have been less complaints in the price area.

Upvote 0
photogaz said:
Embarrassing!

What do you mean with embarrassing; the whining that's going on here in the forum, or something else?

Most interesting is, that people are complaining about the camera, befor they were able to hold it in their hands, and were not able to take pictures with it. I'm sure, it is a nice camera, and will make great pictures in the hands of a skilled photographer, like any other dslr that comes out at the moment.

There are three points I do not like about the 6D though. I miss the "vari angle display" of the 60D, the autofocus systems seems downgraded from the 7D, and the built in flash is missing (as bad as the pictures with built in flash look, sometimes it is the only possibility to take a shoot).

Upvote 0
One word? Unremarkable.

Definitely not about to shake the world. Canon need to realise that Nikon have returned from their years in the wilderness and are producing cameras with real advances. Sleepy valley bodies using existing tech will no longer cut the mustard.

I hope Canon have in fact woken up, it may just be that the lead time on these products is long, predating Nikons re-emergence. So are Canon scheming behind the schenes?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.