Design Your Own Canon Body

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

richy

1dL mkI (L for landscape?)

+6x12 140mp sensor (would keep pixel density relatively low) (6x17 would be nice but crazy big)
+3-4 fps
+16 bit, 16-18 stops dr.
+radio flash built in
+5 inch 1366x768 touch screen on reverse and get rid of a multitude of the buttons
+sensor cleaning
+55 2.8, 90 2.8 , 110 2.8, 180 4.0, 250 4.0 & 400 5.6 mm lenses with IS.

Would be happy to pay 40k for that if canon had the cahoonies to make it.

Upvote 0
O

Osiris30

Ok this is pretty easy:

Take a 60D, upsize the body to support a FF sensor and mirror box, leave pretty much everything else unchanged control wise. Because you're upsizing the body add a slightly larger LCD. Leave it on the hinge, that thing is just *nice* to shoot in the studio with. Clean up any of the minor weather sealing gaps (I don't care it's plastic or mag alloy shell, just don't go Nikon and use a plastic frame).

The sensor should be ideally 28-32MP and support 4:1 (2x2) pixel binning on chip in an optional high sensitivity mode (resulting in 9mp output). If possible I'd be curious to see a WRGB CFA. Failing that a much narrower (spectrum wise) CFA in the red channel would be great.

Burst speed should be around 5 or so FPS. AF system should be a hybrid of the current xxD/7D system. 17 cross type (9 cluster in the center and 8 spread points). Fill with supporting line type expansion points.

Optional battery grip ofcourse, pc sync, hot shoe, ideally integrated wifi support, wireless flash controller (maybe 802.11 flash controller with matching flashes.. please.. Canon.. please!).

Price - ~$4K, product name 3D.

For those wondering what I would do to keep the 1Ds alive with something like the above;

1Ds: 8 FPS, same sensor and goodies as above, 4K video mode, 16 bit ADC for extra bit depth in binned mode. Enormous LCD on the back (come on that's a BIG body). Configurable video codec options.

And what of the 5D Mk iii you ask:

Same sensor as above, without the binning mode. 3.5-4 fps, same AF system as the 3D. No integrated wifi support (for file transfer). Similar design to current 5D physically. Improved sealing (this seems to be a Canon thing now anyway). Same hybrid AF without expansion points.

Oh and all 3 would integrate (somewhere) a speedlite like focus assist beam. Pro or amateur that should be a standard feature. 'My' 5D3 would also have an optional mode that would lock the mirror up, go into live view mode and support EF-S lenses in an on camera crop mode (live view only) to make the upgrade path for the crop users a little bit less painful (seeing as there are now some pretty pricey EF-S lenses out there). All three would support dual cards. The 5D3 would be dual SD (and allow crossfire, interleave file saving, so file 1 on card 1, file 2 on card 2, file 3 on card 1 and so on to overcome SD speeds). 3D and 1Ds would be dual CF.

7D-MkII changes would include a new APS-C sensor featuring a BSI like construction to maximize sensel area. A minor improvement in resolution by an increase to ~22 MP, a much weaker AA filter (which soft anti-moire assist.. note this is not the complete removal of the AA filter, just weaken it). Again a narrower CFA band pass. Improved ADC circuitry to drop read noise. Frame rate increase to 9. Interleaves file save across two card slots. Integrated wifi functionality noted above.

That would leave room for the 70D to regain it's 6.3fps speed. The 70D would inherit the 7D AF system. 70D would share a revised 18mp-2 sensor with the new '600D'. Same technology improvements from the 22mp 7D above, but at 18MP. (then the 80D and 650D can use the 7D-ii sensor while it moves on).

The 600D would inherit the 60D AF system.

The xxxD line would be remade into a mirror-less line with support for EF/EF-S lenes via a converter.

And while I'm at it... Canon would make an aps-c and FF rangefinder like design with very basic lens options (4 primes each equalling 20mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm ff equivalents).

But hey.. you asked :p

Upvote 0
S

stefsan

As I like the size and ergonomics of the 7D I would base my design on that camera body. As for features, I would go for something between 1D, 5D and 7D. So you could call it a 3D :) I would like it to have

- 16-18 MP full frame sensor with a better dynamic range, REALLY low noise and without artifacts (7D RAWs do show a
strange sort of artifacts looking similar to JPEG compression and/or sharpening artifacts)
- Dual Digic V
- ISO 50-25600 with options for 25 low ISO and 102400 high ISO
- Manually adjustable auto ISO
- New 1D-like autofocus system
- 8 fps (10 fps with an optional battery grip)
- Bright 100% viewfinder
- Dual card slot (preferably CF)
- Radio flash controller
- Flash speed synchronization up to 1/500 second
- Weather sealing like 1D
- Option to see the electronic level in the viewfinder instead of the LCD (just like the gridlines in the 7D viewfinder)
- Battery grip with GPS
- $2500

And (as this is a wishlist) as an outdoor walk-around lens I would like an EF 15-85 f3.5-4 L IS USM coming with that body (add $900).

Upvote 0
It shall be interesting to see what the sensors will be like in the coming future. Many seems to like the pixel count reduced to increase S/N ratio, much like Nikon's philosophy. However, ideal pixel size is not really easy to state. Large pixels are indeed less noisy on high ISO, but you cannot trust as much on averaging as you can with higher resolution either. I personally believe that high resolution is a valuable feature, ideally I'd like optics and airy disc be the limiting factor on resolution, not image sensor -- assuming there's not too much compromising with noise and dynamic range. With postprocessing algorithms like lens correction, perspective correction, sharpening etc it's great to have a capture at or beyond optics limits so postprocessing is possible without reducing actual resolution.

I'd like to see new techniques with having multiple simultaneous readouts. If electronic shutters could be made better one could get several shutter times at once, great expanding dynamic range, like bracketing but in one shot. With multiple amplifiers one could read out at low ISO and high ISO simultaneously, and mix them to get lower shadow noise in low ISO images (where read noise tends to be higher than corresponding high ISO readout darkened to the same light level as the low ISO readout). With these techniques combined the RAW files would get extremely large though. DSLRs are quite large though, so I think the size should be used to pack in high performance electronics, large memory buffers etc.

Oversized ram buffer, and option to write to two CF cards simultaneously would be great, to maintain full RAW speed for many seconds. Design the camera so that you are not tempted to use JPEG to get more performance - RAW should be fast enough to be possible to use in all situations. Actually, I think it would be cool with a RAW-only camera too, or at least be able to turn off all JPEG-related features and settings to clean up the user interface.

And yes, radio flash controller should be standard by now. IR/flash triggering feels really really low tech.

It also like to see some new ideas on how to make photo inspection better, something more/smarter than histograms. I'm not sure what, but it feels a bit limited currently, at least for I as an amateur, still it happens that mistakes are not discovered until I look at the photos on a computer screen.

Oh, better remote triggering too. It should be standard to be able to modify ISO, aperture, shutter speed from the remote, in these days of HDR...

Upvote 0
S

sjprg

I like the 1DL concept (landscape):
My design is based on the Lieca S2 format. This should work with the existing Canon Lens EF mount, and should support up to about 75MP sensors. This should hold us until the lenses get updated.
The next iteration definitly needs 16 bit files. 1FP/2S HDR 3 shot burst should be plenty for landscape work. Battery life doesen't need to be in the 2000 image range, 500 would be enough. Cost would stay within the current range as there is no major technology change

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

I won't need a new body. I'd rather like to have a digital-unit in size of a casual 35mm catridge to fit in each eos-film-body. Iso-Controll settings on the left part of the interiour, so you just have to open the back, pull the switch and go on shooting. Sensor-size should match FF, so I'd guess somethin like 16 to 18 mp should go fine, considering it has to be able to capture up to 10fps-bursts...
Nothin more would be needed for me. :-D

Upvote 0
S

scalesusa

unexposure said:
I won't need a new body. I'd rather like to have a digital-unit in size of a casual 35mm catridge to fit in each eos-film-body. Iso-Controll settings on the left part of the interiour, so you just have to open the back, pull the switch and go on shooting. Sensor-size should match FF, so I'd guess somethin like 16 to 18 mp should go fine, considering it has to be able to capture up to 10fps-bursts...
Nothin more would be needed for me. :-D

Kodak made a 5mp model in 1990 that adapted to a Nikon N90. I have one.

Of course the price was $35,000.

863351237_Aqype-L.jpg

Upvote 0
N

NotABunny

Setting ranges for shutter speed, F-number, ISO. Or "TAv" mode (so called Auto ISO), Time-Aperture priority mode, where the shutter speed and F-number are set and the ISO is changed to create the correct exposure.

Recording the Spectral Power Distribution (of the light) for better white balance in post-processing. (Could this be done with a grip, if the sensor is too big and expensive?) (I am very curious if this would work better, that is, if software developers would implement algorithms to "reverse engineer" the correct colors.)

Upvote 0
E

Endri Sejdini

Since Eos 50D is gone, the whole x0D prosumer generation is gone becoming an xD generation (eos 7D), a new step is through the Canon Eos hierarchy with the entry of eos 60D, The Advanced Rebel.

This wish maybe an EOS 5D Mark III or an EOS 3D ... It should be a Pro range for sure, for people who lives by image quality and not running after tanks of megapixels or toy-like bodies just for fun....

Techinical Specs

- Full Frame, 16.1 Mpix (any pixel more will destroy dinamic range and will run out of the sensor surface capability for pixels. Need more pixels? Make a bigger sensor!)

- 16 bit color depth (no more 14 bits, hasselblad is far away with its 16 bits)

- ISO 25 - 50'000 (True ISO optically sensivity, without putting 2, 4, or 10 processors to play the photoshop inside the camera giving a fake, no-noise image)

- 6.3 Frames /sec Burst speed (is quite enough)

- Silent shutter sound ( I shot on films sets and theater shows and whats the truth, I envy the silence of Nikon bodies. Why my dear Canon bodies sound always like kalashnikovs?)

Architecture Specs

- Left Strap Mount - should not extend horizontally out of the body! I'm used to mostly balance the weight of camera with the left hand. When I shot vertically that metallic strap kills my inner part of the left wrist, right to the pulse zone

- Integrated grip design (when the grip is mounted, the body should look like an whole and solid one, the grip should be organically integrated! Do you think this is such a difficult problem?!!!)

- Bank Button ( like C1 / C2 / C2 on the dial menu to bank custom settings. This button means to give more practicity than the dial, just one touch memo...)

I think the next Eos 5D Mark III or Eos 3D whatever will be priced $3500

Upvote 0
J

Joaaso

scalesusa said:
If you crop the 5D MK II to APS-C size, you have a 30D, 8MP. If you crop it to APS-H, then you have about 12.4 MP.

Lots of people think that the 5D MK II has a high pixel density, but it is the same as the 20D / 30d.
you're right, I mixed up the numbers.. anyway, you see where I'm going; I want a crop camera with an actual noticeable improvement in ISO-performance over the current models and not just more MP..

Upvote 0
J

Joaaso

Jan said:
Joaaso said:
you're right, I mixed up the numbers.. anyway, you see where I'm going; I want a crop camera with an actual noticeable improvement in ISO-performance over the current models and not just more MP..
ISO-perfomance wouldn't increase much (on equal output size). Dynamic range would increase...
output-size performance doesnt matter much too me, I prefer having the increased iso-performance as an actual improvement at 100% viewing, rather than to waste it on increasing the amount of MP.. and it is pretty clear that the 5D's iso-performance is noticeably better than the 7D-generation-sensor -somewhere around 1 stop better, so I'd like to have a crop sensor on that same level..

Upvote 0
N

NotABunny

Joaaso said:
I prefer having the increased iso-performance as an actual improvement at 100% viewing, rather than to waste it on increasing the amount of MP

If you don't want to store that many megapixels, you can use pixel binning (sRAW, mRAW); then you get the same noise level per pixel (as if you were shooting with a sensor of that low resolution).

Joaaso said:
it is pretty clear that the 5D's iso-performance is noticeably better than the 7D-generation-sensor -somewhere around 1 stop better, so I'd like to have a crop sensor on that same level

If they can do that with a crop sensor, they can do the same with a full frame, so you would still get the same difference in noise level per image (because of the bigger sensor).

Upvote 0
J

Joaaso

well I mainly want better ISO to be able to push handholding a step further (I live far north, not much light here these days, so my shutterspeeds are on the limit all the time) + I often need max dof for studio work, where diffraction starts to become quite visible.. but if you can prove that going to mRaw allows me to comfortably up my ISO say 1 stop without sacrificing anything compared to an equally low res sensor, then...ok, maybe i'll reconsider my future investments..:p I (obviously) dont know exactly what mRaw/sRaw does, but from what I've read so far, it seems like going via a high res sensor and then mRaw to get better iso-performance, is kinda like going around the river to get water -at best (if you have that expression in english:p)

Upvote 0
Jan said:
My 700D wishlist:
monochrome lcd

Why would a monochrome LCD be beneficial? I understand the exposure value would be easy to determine based on a monochrome, but your WB could be totally jacked up. I don't think there is a cost benefit to manufacturing monochrome displays anymore, it might actually be more expensive than a 65K color display.

Upvote 0
S

scalesusa

KyleSTL said:
Jan said:
My 700D wishlist:
monochrome lcd

Why would a monochrome LCD be beneficial? I understand the exposure value would be easy to determine based on a monochrome, but your WB could be totally jacked up. I don't think there is a cost benefit to manufacturing monochrome displays anymore, it might actually be more expensive than a 65K color display.

+1

Putting something like that on a expensive new camera model would make it a sure failure and lose millions for a company.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.