Destroying brand-new filters

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
We all know that many new Canon lenses, L lenses too, can have a plastic-made filter thread.
But even aluminium threads are quite fragile.
So, in order to protect them, I usually buy the cheapest filters available, remove (destroy) the glass element, and screw them on my lenses. Out of experience, I can say this saved my 24 TSE II from a major damage, when I stupidly dropped it on concrete...(had to send it for repair nevertheless :cry:). Of course, I do use lens-shades, but some are to voluminous to keep mounted on the lens in the bag (24 TSE !)

Reactions: 1 user

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
You can buy a step up or step down ring for less if you just want a tiny abount more security. The glass in the filter stabilizes it, and resists bending, I'd bet it provides 90% of the strength.
Trouble is, with a step-up ring, one cannot use the standard lens-cap, or the lens-shade.
As to the filter's glass, if it breaks...
And strength is just what I don't want, a "softer" protection can absorb an impact, that's what I experienced!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I prize compactness, and at least for lenses strioving to be compact, would welcome protective filters that didn't even take a lens cap but were entirely received in the threads (requiring fingerprints or a suctiony tool to screw in and remove). I like the 2mm Sirui ultra slim but can't find them anymore.

Upvote 0