Did Canon confirm the 45mp resolution of the Canon EOS R5 sensor?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thanks for this. I was wondering if it would be possible to determine the likely resolution for stills from the video resolution. Now I have the answer. And, honestly, it makes perfect sense for the next generation of 5 Series sensors. This would also give the camera about 17 mp in crop mode if I'm doing the math right.

Now, when will the 5D V rumors start?

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Let's review. The R5 knocks it out of the park for all things video. So yes, the R6 will be the video body. /s

Seriously, It won't be, it will be the 6D equivalent.They have pretty much made it crystal clear they are following the dslr nomenclature. It will also be less expensive and what more people might buy. Unless of course, a lot of those people don't mind debt. I didn't say you, or you or you...I know everyone here is fabulously wealthy, will buy 3 R5's to complement their stable of 1DXlll bodies.

Can't wait to buy the R5. My money is sitting in my bank account not doing anything as of late.

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
To be fair, the 1DC was a DSLR that was video-centric. :p

Agreed, though, that the R5 and R6 segmentation is not about one being video-centric and the other stills-centric. As SLClick and others have said, the monikers communicate a similar segmentation and positioning as the EF-mounted 5D and 6D, respectively.

Price-wise, I've expected the R5 to be consistent with 5D pricing at $3,299-$3,499. The mind-blowing specs, though, have me wondering if they'll push it to $3,699 or even a little higher like they did the 5DS(R). I see $3,999 as a hard ceiling for the 5 series and would be surprised if the R5 even got close to it. Given the well-established positioning of the 5 series, along with the current global economic landscape, I'm still feeling confident it will be in the mid-$3K range (USD).

I know everyone is drooling over the video specs, but on the stills side, the R5 has me drooling, too:

> 45PM
> 12-20FPS
> Articulating Screen
> At least 5DIV, or better, ISO and DR performance

The announcement can't come soon enough for this stills shooter!
Likewise! As the owner of a 1DC (which I use 99+% for stills), I have all the video capabilities I need for at least the forseeable future.

Now, if only it had the build quality of 1D series camera. I quickly parted ways with a 5D Mark II because I felt it was too fragile.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Now, when will the 5D V rumors start?
It is laid out pure and simple, apart from having EF-mount, a mirror and an OVF, it won't be too much different from this camera, same sensor, same processor, same CFExpress UHS-II SD dual card slots setup (it probably won't shoot 12fps with mechanical shutter, but it will do 20fps electronic shutter).
The only big question mark if it is going to have IBIS or not, and the screen, which is probably going to articulate in some way, while keeping the durability as much as possible.

Upvote 0

MVPhoto

EOS 5D mk3
CR Pro
Sep 15, 2018
AL
This camera literally checks everything off of my wish list!
High resolution, Eye AF, 4K60, 10-bit, 4:2:2, C-Log, RAW! I wonder if it will be CanonRawLight?
My biggest question now is what lenses to get for it?! Sadly, my 8 year old Macbook Pro would probably die if I tried to get it to even play anything out of this camera. "You want me to do what?! HA!" ... so going to have to budget for a new Mac too.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I don't give a rats ass if I go from 22 mp on my 5D3 to 20 on something new if it gives me more of, well, everything except megapixels. Not getting hung up on the numbers here (stills guy going off!)

I can't see this being a 20mpx sensor 6D series camera because unfortunately most people don't think like you do.

They'll see the comparative tables showing that the Sony model has 24mpx, and this one has 20mpx, and assuming the Sony has to be better. The reviewers will bemoan the "poor resolution". And an EOS RP owner with a 26mpx sensor will have to think long and hard about the "downgrade" to 20mpx.

So, either the 20mpx figure is wrong or this is a camera aimed at a different market segment. Clearly the R5 is being promoted heavily for its video features, so I expect the R6 to be no different - the 4K-only version of the R5.

Perhaps outside of the bubble of CanonRumors the reality is that video features are more important commercially than photographic features? I have no idea. I don't follow the industry that closely. But clearly Canon are betting big on this now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Remains the question what lenses you would need to get exposure to the extreme left and right ...

The extreme sides would be vignetted, but not any more than corners are with current sensors. They’d still be inside the image circle. Lenses like the RF 24–240mm are an exception, not the rule, and even that one would not behave too badly because its vignetting is due to barrel distortion which primarily affects corners.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I mean really. Can't it be a great video camera and a bad-ass stills camera too? Why do some think they are mutually exclusive?
It is sort of the reverse of people being bothered because they think Canon is crippling their cameras by leaving out stuff they want. Now they think Canon is screwing them by forcing them to pay more by putting stuff in a camera they don’t want.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Personally I am not happy with this DCI 8k/4k thing. It means UHD will be slightly cropped. I do not have use for the extra width, all the displays I think my content will be watched at will probably be 16:9 anyway. But well, some other people will be very happy with that. Anyway, if it has a 1:1 pixel HD mode (with crop factor 4!), that would be great. Small files with additional reach.

Awesome camera, probably too much for me, though, in terms of capabilities and cost anyway.

But in relation to R6 this is interesting. I predict R6 will also support no-crop 4k DCI; and to make things easy, there would be 2x supersampling (or pixel binning) for 4k, which would make it have a 22-23 MP sensor.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
It is sort of the reverse of people being bothered because they think Canon is crippling their cameras by leaving out stuff they want. Now they think Canon is screwing them by forcing them to pay more by putting stuff in a camera they don’t want.

I mean, why can't Canon just make a camera that has exactly the feature set that I want?!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Quite a few stills shooters feeling neglected right now (myself among them) with all the video spec excitement at least until the R5 price is announced.

I'm not sure why you would feel that way. it's going to be an insane stills machine from what we already know.

- 44.7MP
- 12FPS mech / 20 fps electronic - all with AF
- AF includes human, dog,cat and BIRD (body, head and eye)AF
- dual card slots (CFE, UHSII) - ie: fast buffer clearing.
- IBIS with IBIS+IS offering up to 8 stops of stabilization that also includes EF lenses.
- 1DX Mark III (this sensor generation) is VERY good in terms of noise and DR.
- AF Joystick control ie: 5D IV style.
- Articulating screen (no 5D / 7D class body hand one before)

APS-C size is around 17.5MP - which means this is nearly a 7D packaged inside it, well, a 7D on steroids.

You feel neglected with that?!

What we don't know . is this going to put the hammer to DR once and for all? will Canon do dual ISO like on the C300 III? curious about that. Even without it, this is a crazy good stills camera.

of course, Canon leading up to NAB was going to talk about the video - it's NAB - it would be VERY weird if Canon talked about the stills performance.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Why all the secrecy from Canon on EOS R5 ? Maybe they haven't finished the specs yet ? Seems rather odd and annoying to Canon users :mad:

It's the exact opposite to what you think. Regular Canon modus operandi is that they don't tell us anything about incoming models until the release is actually imminent. With the R5 they've been the opposite of secretive.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
I'm not sure why you would feel that way. it's going to be an insane stills machine from what we already know.

- 44.7MP
- 12FPS mech / 20 fps electronic - all with AF
- AF includes human, dog,cat and BIRD (body, head and eye)AF
- dual card slots (CFE, UHSII) - ie: fast buffer clearing.
- IBIS with IBIS+IS offering up to 8 stops of stabilization that also includes EF lenses.
- 1DX Mark III (this sensor generation) is VERY good in terms of noise and DR.
- AF Joystick control ie: 5D IV style.
- Articulating screen (no 5D / 7D class body hand one before)

APS-C size is around 17.5MP - which means this is nearly a 7D packaged inside it, well, a 7D on steroids.

You feel neglected with that?!

What we don't know . is this going to put the hammer to DR once and for all? will Canon do dual ISO like on the C300 III? curious about that. Even without it, this is a crazy good stills camera.

of course, Canon leading up to NAB was going to talk about the video - it's NAB - it would be VERY weird if Canon talked about the stills performance.

True!
There are many things we don´t know yet from the camera and yes, Canon is giving importance to video specs, but like canonnews said, of what we know it is already an impressive camera! We have a fast shutter, we have an improved AF, the so wanted IBIS....etc...! For sure when the camera will be presented we will know more and more! But damn...as far as I can see we have a camera that potencially can give us the best of two worlds in quality and speed! (5d and 1dx) For my use (wildlife) I totally can see myself dumping the 1D bodies and go for mirrorless 100%. This EOS R5 gives me all I need in speed! Lets see about image quality, but with the new sensors and 45mp I expect nothing but greatness in image quality! Also for vídeo, well let´s wait to see the bitrate and codecs but i am considering changing from my cinema type cameras to this one!! This one have literally everything I want (120FPS/HDR PQ/8k....just WOW!!)

This EOS R5, at least as far as we know from the spec list, it will be a HELL of a camera for stills and video! I think Canon is putting a lot on this one and they will have a camera for the next 5 years!

I know who wants one really bad!! :D :D

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2019
I still have this feeling that the R5 is the "everything" camera, but still room above it for the mirrorless "1DX" that slots above it in the line. They're literally throwing everything they can at the R5 to seal the deal for a lot of people.

The R6 is still going to be seriously impressive. Its going to be priced more for the common man... built and spec'd as such. It will easily be better than the Canon EOS R, even if the build materials are equal or a tad less. (poly frame instead of magnesium, etc) I highly doubt it will do 8K or RAW internal. I would say it maxes out at 4K, but does EVERYTHING 4K that the R5 does and with DPAF. I still think the R6 will be a hit as well. It will be a very tough choice for people once they are both on the market. Do you really NEED RAW? Do you really NEED 8K? Do you really NEED 45MP?

Vote with your wallets, ladies and gents.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Video tends to follow two ratio: 16:9 for UHD and 17:9 for DCI #K

Yes. So you would have an 8208 x 5472 (plus masked and "edge" pixels needed to be able to demosaic to 8208 x 5472) sensor using 8192 x 4337 pixels for 8K DCI video. No one is going to consider only using 99.81% of the width of the sensor as "cropped" video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0