Did Canon confirm the 45mp resolution of the Canon EOS R5 sensor?

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Thanks for this. I was wondering if it would be possible to determine the likely resolution for stills from the video resolution. Now I have the answer. And, honestly, it makes perfect sense for the next generation of 5 Series sensors. This would also give the camera about 17 mp in crop mode if I'm doing the math right.

Now, when will the 5D V rumors start?
Given the current state of the global economic situation my guess is there will not be a 5d5. Even if there was going to be one that idea would be scrapped now and there will be less products overall to reduce R&D costs

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It's only more profitable for Canon to sell two bodies for $7,000 than one body for $5,000 if the unit cost of production is below $2,000. If the cost of production is $2,100, the margin is $2,900 off one body at $5,000 and only $2,800 off two bodies at $3,500 each. Of course R&D, administrative support, worldwide transportation, customer service, publicity/advertising, and repair support are all overhead that must come out of the margin between production cost and retail price. The overhead for transportation and repair support also double for two bodies compared to one.

All valid points. Thanks for adding to the discussion!

Makes me curious what actual per-unit cost is, both production cost and per-unit COGS...

Also makes me curious what the sweet spot is, if there is one, where two bodies purchased are better for Canon than one more expensive one...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Given the current state of the global economic situation my guess is there will not be a 5d5. Even if there was going to be one that idea would be scrapped now and there will be less products overall to reduce R&D costs
I have to disagree. Now is not the time for Canon to surrender a huge segment of their customer base. Instead, I think they will want to hold on to every customer they can and DSLRs are still very popular with many users. If they offer only a mirrorless 5 series camera they will lose some customers, guaranteed. It's just not possible to transition everyone over to mirrorless in a single generation. Indeed there are probably many customers who will never transition to mirrorless. If you follow this forum at all, you know that many birders and wildlife photographers prefer DSLRs and they alone constitute a lucrative base for Canon.

The R&D for a 5DV is likely to be pretty minimal. It will use the same sensor as the R5. Much of the autofocus system of the 1Dx III will likely carry over, just as they did with the 1Dx II and 5D IV. If they include the 1Dx III touch button control or some variant, the R5 sensor and up the frame rate to 9-10 fps they are good to go.

As long as there is a market for DSLRs, Canon will make them and the market remains strong.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
So why not each professional Canon Camera will get illuminated buttons? I don't get it ;P

Because not everybody needs this and/or likes this.
I, for example, can (and do this often) operate my camera in darkness, dont need my eyes to locate buttons. In fact, if had to first look at it, it would cost valuable time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I have to disagree. Now is not the time for Canon to surrender a huge segment of their customer base. Instead, I think they will want to hold on to every customer they can and DSLRs are still very popular with many users. If they offer only a mirrorless 5 series camera they will lose some customers, guaranteed. It's just not possible to transition everyone over to mirrorless in a single generation. Indeed there are probably many customers who will never transition to mirrorless. If you follow this forum at all, you know that many birders and wildlife photographers prefer DSLRs and they alone constitute a lucrative base for Canon.

The R&D for a 5DV is likely to be pretty minimal. It will use the same sensor as the R5. Much of the autofocus system of the 1Dx III will likely carry over, just as they did with the 1Dx II and 5D IV. If they include the 1Dx III touch button control or some variant, the R5 sensor and up the frame rate to 9-10 fps they are good to go.

As long as there is a market for DSLRs, Canon will make them and the market remains strong.

This is hardly about R&D. Fact is that more models are larger overhead with more parts; production line needs to be shared etc.
The general questions is: Who needs an 5DV?
- the 1DXIII already serves all who need a rock-solid DSLR
- the R5 will beat the 5DIV in almost all aspects (except, maybe not in bulkiness if that is needed) and it works with RF as well as EF.
- and for those who still like the 5D series: No problem, it will still be produced when R5 is out.
Not sure what one expects beyond all these options ...

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Let's review. The R5 knocks it out of the park for all things video. So yes, the R6 will be the video body. /s

Seriously, It won't be, it will be the 6D equivalent.They have pretty much made it crystal clear they are following the dslr nomenclature. It will also be less expensive and what more people might buy. Unless of course, a lot of those people don't mind debt. I didn't say you, or you or you...I know everyone here is fabulously wealthy, will buy 3 R5's to complement their stable of 1DXlll bodies.
Well the R certainly didn't follow the DSLR nomenclature. And another difference is that M series is for cropped sensors which wasn't the case in the DSLR series.
It seems to me the R6 replaces the 7D but without a crop (i.e. sports and low light oriented and more affordable than 5D). If they could upgrade the R to a Mark 2 with IBIS and AF joystick that would be great 6D replacement.

• Haha
Upvote 0
I understand the sync speed issue. Yes, global shutter would also be of tremendous value in video, but the I think the biggest issue is the amount of power and in turn, heat, that would entail. At least for video. Global shutter for
Video you usually see in dedicated video bodies which tend to be much bigger and can more easily dissipate the heat. I dont think there are global shutter video MILC bodies out there as of yet. As far as stills go, isnt that what X-Sync is for? There is way to high speed sync if you have the right stove that can talk to your camera to do it. It basically fires a multistrobe to align with your rolling shutter readout (i think is how that works)
What your talking about is High Speed Sync or in some systems Hyper Sync (slightly different solution for same result) and that’s what I use now or sometimes I’ll use an ND filter. But all of those solutions drain battery power, efficiency, and recycling time from the strobes so you need larger more powerful lights on location to compensate. If you could flash sync at any speed with a global shutter you wouldn’t have to pulse your strobes in HSS mode or use an ND filter and could get away with smaller more portable strobes, or get all of the power out of your big strobes with no compromise.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
This is hardly about R&D. Fact is that more models are larger overhead with more parts; production line needs to be shared etc.
The general questions is: Who needs an 5DV?
- the 1DXIII already serves all who need a rock-solid DSLR
- the R5 will beat the 5DIV in almost all aspects (except, maybe not in bulkiness if that is needed) and it works with RF as well as EF.
- and for those who still like the 5D series: No problem, it will still be produced when R5 is out.
Not sure what one expects beyond all these options ...

That may depend on where they source the mirror/drive motor from. If it comes from China, the mirror SLR may disappear since Canon, like most Japanese companies, will be home-shoring their supply chains (the gov't is planning to help fund that). You can expect that such a complex piece made in Japan would be more expensive than one made in China. Hence it would be reserved for the camera that can bear the market pricing, the 1D series.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
That 4k 120 is far more impressive than 8k 30. There are some good possibilities if 1080p can also scale up accordingly.

1K at 480 fps would be amazing, and would make this an even better seller to the video crowd.

640x480 at ~3000 fps would make this camera a slow motion tool that would open a whole new world of such things.

• Love
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...The general questions is: Who needs an 5DV?...
Need has nothing to do with it. The only relevant question is, will people buy a 5DV? I believe there is ample evidence that there will still be a substantial market for a 5DV even after the R5 is released. I think it is insane to believe that the market is going to disappear overnight and that 100% of 5D customers will be content to buy a mirrorless version. Spend 10 minutes reading this forum and you will see many DSLR users who simply do not like or want a mirrorless body.

If you need fast, accurate autofocus, you are still better off with a DSLR. And as Canon states in the referenced article:
Despite the growth of the mirrorless market, DSLRs still make up more than 53% of today's camera sales (according to CIPA's figures for total worldwide shipments of digital cameras with interchangeable lenses, January to December 2019).

As I stated in my earlier post, Canon is not about to abandon half of their market. Even assuming that they can convert half of all DSLR users to mirrorless in a single generation (which would be an astounding accomplishment) that would still leave a quarter of the market open. Canon is not going to leave that money on the table.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

I could accept that they may do a 5d5 on the proviso that the body does not change from the 5d4(ie zero R&D costs for body) They literally take the r5 gut(minus IBIS) and shove it in. So yes. if they could basically keep R&D at or near zero then fair enough. But this is not the time to keep a large product line for anyone as people are not going to be spending as much for at least a decade now. Lenses with seamless adaptation to RF will be enough to keep most people loyal to canon even without a DSLR available. A global economic depression is not the time for people to be swapping systems willy nilly

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
1K at 480 fps would be amazing, and would make this an even better seller to the video crowd.

640x480 at ~3000 fps would make this camera a slow motion tool that would open a whole new world of such things.
True, that would be useful even with real world recording limit to couple of seconds. There are things that I want to shoot with high speed video(frog inflating vocal sack for calls, snake striking, etc...) and since most of that action takes place under a sec or two. I dont have to carry another camera in bag for this purpose.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I dont see how Canon makes a video spec machine in an RF body that beats this thing.

I mean, what... a 1:1 pixel readout (12MP like the sony a7s) but with all the same specs otherwise as the R5? Why bother?

i think Canon intended this to be the absolutely everything camera. I dont know what else you Viably could cram into a dedicated video MILC body that the R5 doesnt already sport.
An EF mount! But don't tell anybody :D

• Haha
Upvote 0