Dinan Viaduct by Night

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Peter.
A lovely shot, but it have to say my eye is drawn straight to the construction fencing with hazard tape around the tree, to me this causes a fight with the rest of the scene, as in it is a fight to see the beauty, as you don't have the whole viaduct in the shot could you have cropped in a bit to loose it, or perhaps change it to a widescreen aspect ratio to loose the foreground?
Let me be clear about this, I'd love to have taken this shot, it is good, and I know you are stuck with stuff like the fence when it is there. You have always seemed to be in a different league from me, you set your bar so high, and this one seems to just dip a little below your usual standard, and I mean that in the nicest way.

Cheers, Graham.
Ps, know that I really wrestled with whether to post such a comment.

petach said:
This viaduct is always beautifully lit. Located in Dinan in Bretagne. Railings have been fitted to try to stem the number of suicides by local youths (averages 1 per month, sadly)

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Peter.
A lovely shot, but it have to say my eye is drawn straight to the construction fencing with hazard tape around the tree, to me this causes a fight with the rest of the scene, as in it is a fight to see the beauty, as you don't have the whole viaduct in the shot could you have cropped in a bit to loose it, or perhaps change it to a widescreen aspect ratio to loose the foreground?
Let me be clear about this, I'd love to have taken this shot, it is good, and I know you are stuck with stuff like the fence when it is there. You have always seemed to be in a different league from me, you set your bar so high, and this one seems to just dip a little below your usual standard, and I mean that in the nicest way.

Cheers, Graham.

petach said:
This viaduct is always beautifully lit. Located in Dinan in Bretagne. Railings have been fitted to try to stem the number of suicides by local youths (averages 1 per month, sadly)
[/quote

Hi Graham, I appreciate your full and frank comment. I understand where you are coming from. I rarely remove street furniture etc from my photos simply because they are part of the landscape at that moment in time.

In this case, I thought that the uprights in the roadworks echo'd the viaduct supports and the hazard bar matched the new barriers atop the viaduct. Consider the story of the beauty of the viaduct and the dark history of frequent suicides. The photo (for me) is also a ting and yang. You see the beauty.....then the pimple.

Thanks for stopping by to comment, I really do appreciate it.

Pete

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Pete.
I now see where you are coming from, I sort of get it. It is sad that people feel the need to end it all, and that does seem like a high rate.
I'm so glad you didn't take my comments too hard, I really did agonise should I say anything or not.
Thank you for explaining.

Kind regards, Graham.

petach said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Peter.

Cheers, Graham.

petach said:
[/quote

Hi Graham, I appreciate your full and frank comment. I understand where you are coming from. I rarely remove street furniture etc from my photos simply because they are part of the landscape at that moment in time.

In this case, I thought that the uprights in the roadworks echo'd the viaduct supports and the hazard bar matched the new barriers atop the viaduct. Consider the story of the beauty of the viaduct and the dark history of frequent suicides. The photo (for me) is also a ting and yang. You see the beauty.....then the pimple.

Pete

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Pete.
I now see where you are coming from, I sort of get it. It is sad that people feel the need to end it all, and that does seem like a high rate.
I'm so glad you didn't take my comments too hard, I really did agonise should I say anything or not.
Thank you for explaining.

Kind regards, Graham.

petach said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Peter.

Cheers, Graham.

Never fear to critique my output. I always appreciate it when someone is offering a valid point of view. If you said, just ......."awesome" I really would be offended. :0)

petach said:
[/quote

Pete

Upvote 0