Disassembly of the Canon RF 50mm f1.2L

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/12/disassembly-of-the-canon-rf-50mm-f1-2l/
Intriguing teardown by Roger: It is the best of lenses, it is the worst of lenses, it is the lens of perfection, it is the lens of complexity, it is the lens of new technology, it may be the lens of non-repairability
Yikes! And thanks for the link!
(This tear-down would make a great movie!)

And I love the last line (before the African proverb): "This level of engineering didn’t all happen in the last year, they’ve been working on this for quite a while."

I wasn't one who thought RF was rushed. And I still don't think it is intended as an "addition."

And thank you, Roger, for the fascinating look into the magic tube!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Is there a takeaway from this? Does the lens offer too many complications for a rental business? Are consumers going to find it to be a "high-maintenance lover" too? My first reaction was, "Maybe I should (for the 50th time) reconsider the simple little ef 50mm f/1.2L USM." But the IQ and AF of the RF monster seem to hold so much promise (as opposed to the known issues of the EF 1.2).

I like the way Roger presents the facts without conjecture, without sounding alarms based simply on so much new tech jammed into the tube.

And this is just the first generation of RF lenses.

Upvote 0