DJI Launches The Ronin-S Gimbal Stabilizer

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><em>DJI has just revealed final details for its highly-anticipated single-handed gimbal stabilizer—the Ronin-S. This exceptionally capable device will help smooth footage when working with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras up to 7.9 lb. For now, the Ronin-S will be exclusive to B&H </em></p>
<p><strong>NEW YORK, May 29, 2018</strong> – B&H Photo would like to share the official announcement of the DJI Ronin-S 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer, a lithe, single-handed tool used to smooth movement when shooting video with a DSLR or mirrorless camera. DJI is daring us to move, and the Ronin-S makes that dare easy to accomplish with its clean and high performance, for camera systems weighing up to 7.9 lb. It also offers one-handed design, enabling simple, intuitive operation, and a slimmer profile for working in confined spaces with ease.</p>
<p>Among the major advantages provided by the Ronin-S is a design that moves the roll axis to a 45-degree angle, ensuring there is a clean line of sight to the camera’s rear screen for monitoring purposes. Also, it is a part of DJI’s constantly growing ecosystem, and will offer immediate support for plenty of their accessories, including the Master Wheels and Master Force. It has a dual handle system, multiple types of wireless receivers, a focus control setup, and more. Also included are standard mounting points for attaching useful tools like microphones and lights.</p>
<p>Three operational modes are available for added versatility—underslung, upright, and flashlight. Each of these is determined by the desired grip and angle of the shot, and make it more comfortable to operate for longer periods of time. The gimbal can even be removed from the handle and mounted on other supports, such as a jib or RC car, for which there is a dedicated mode to ensure silky smooth motion. A Sport Mode can be enabled for moments of fast-paced action.</p>
<p><strong>Product Highlights</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Three-Axis Motorized Gimbal Stabilizer</li>
<li>Holds DSLR or Mirrorless Cameras</li>
<li>Offset Roll Motor for Screen Visibility</li>
<li>One-Handed Operation</li>
<li>Interchangeable Parts Ecosystem</li>
<li>Accessory Dock</li>
<li>Customizable Parameter Groups</li>
</ul>
<p>To provide an excellent operating experience, the Ronin-S offers multiple control options, including a precise joystick located on the handle, with multiple customizable parameters. Users will enjoy support for camera control as well, with the ability to connect to select Canon, Sony, Nikon, and other systems where they can adjust focus settings, initiate recording and more without taking their hands off the Ronin-S. Other settings include a Virtual Joystick option, Time-Lapse, Track, and Panorama modes.</p>
<p>A wide range of movement is possible with this gimbal, including continuous 360 degrees of rotation, tilt from -95 to 185 degrees, and a complete 360 degrees of roll in a Roll 360 mode that will come in handy for rapid movement and repositioning of your camera. Additionally, it is powered by a rechargeable 18650 2400mAh Li-ion polymer battery pack that will operate for hours on a single charge, while Bluetooth 4.0 and USB Type-C connections permit the stabilizer to be connected directly to mobile devices and computers.</p>
<p>The DJI Ronin-S will be exclusive to <a href="https://bhpho.to/2kwEnYN" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener">B&H Photo</a> for a limited time. It is already open for pre-order, and will soon be available.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mt Spokane Photography said:
One handed operation with a 7+lb DSLR plus the weight of the gimbal too! I just don't have the strength to hold 10 lbs out in front of me for more than a few seconds, maybe a minute or two. Not even 5 lbs with one hand.
I guess these are for video, but I was thinking possibly stills while walking around.

Ditto. Maybe it will come with a workout video. :p
As I approach 70, my FF bag seems to have taken on the gravity of Jupiter. I'm really liking the M5.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
KeithBreazeal said:
One handed operation with a 7+lb DSLR plus the weight of the gimbal too! I just don't have the strength to hold 10 lbs out in front of me for more than a few seconds, maybe a minute or two. Not even 5 lbs with one hand.
I guess these are for video, but I was thinking possibly stills while walking around.

As I approach 70, my FF bag seems to have taken on the gravity of Jupiter. I'm really liking the M5.
Yes, 70 is in my rear view mirror.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
KeithBreazeal said:

Even for someone who sees 30 on the horizon, this kind of setup (Crane 2 + 1dx + L lenses) for 20 minutes or so is a serious pain.

I'm guessing they are releasing this to compete with the Crane 2. Although I haven't seen anything saying this new Ronin will be able to support a camera as big as the 1dx.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It is meant to be held with two hands, and you only use it for the shot you are trying to take.... you are not going to holding it up in the air by one hand for a half hour, it will typically be for tens of seconds, not minutes...

If I had one of those, it would be mounted on a tripod in my canoe to stabilize the footage.....

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Re: DJI Launches The Ronin-S Gimbal Stabiliz

ethanz said:
KeithBreazeal said:

Even for someone who sees 30 on the horizon, this kind of setup (Crane 2 + 1dx + L lenses) for 20 minutes or so is a serious pain.

I'm guessing they are releasing this to compete with the Crane 2. Although I haven't seen anything saying this new Ronin will be able to support a camera as big as the 1dx.

Yes the Ronin S can support the 1DX MkII. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EpUDB-max70

I actually had a Crane 2 for a very short time but it appears it has been lost in shipping, as the Ronin is $50 less and doesn’t need an additional $20 gravity arm for the 1DX MkII I am thinking of getting the Ronin to replace it.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Don Haines said:
It is meant to be held with two hands, and you only use it for the shot you are trying to take.... you are not going to holding it up in the air by one hand for a half hour, it will typically be for tens of seconds, not minutes...

If I had one of those, it would be mounted on a tripod in my canoe to stabilize the footage.....
From the press release "... for camera systems weighing up to 7.9 lb. It also offers one-handed design,..."
Thats why I said one handed. I realize that the advertising people play fast and loose with reality, which is why I posted the doubt that one handed use was practical.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It is indeed challenging to walk around (think hiking) with the Crane 2 but my solution is to tuck the tri-feet into my belt and steady the gimbal with one or two hands and it is pretty easy. You can even shoot like that. Managed about 45 minutes hiking like that last week and 70 is getting very close for me.

This Ronin looks appealing but where is the base support? I did one shot the other day from a pier with it sitting on the feet and using the pan button and would not want to give up the support. The offset is good but for wide angle I don't find the view I presently get to be problematic, so I'm not wishing for the Ronin (yet). ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
It is indeed challenging to walk around (think hiking) with the Crane 2 but my solution is to tuck the tri-feet into my belt and steady the gimbal with one or two hands and it is pretty easy. You can even shoot like that. Managed about 45 minutes hiking like that last week and 70 is getting very close for me.

This Ronin looks appealing but where is the base support? I did one shot the other day from a pier with it sitting on the feet and using the pan button and would not want to give up the support. The offset is good but for wide angle I don't find the view I presently get to be problematic, so I'm not wishing for the Ronin (yet). ;)

Jack

Jack, it comes with the same type of tripod as the Crane 2, it’s just that a lot of the promotion images don’t show it. But of much more interest to you, and I suspect you might be selling your Crane for, it looks like it might have wireless remote control! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Kusls2yhc#fauxfullscreen

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Jack, it comes with the same type of tripod as the Crane 2, it’s just that a lot of the promotion images don’t show it. But of much more interest to you, and I suspect you might be selling your Crane for, it looks like it might have wireless remote control! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Kusls2yhc#fauxfullscreen

It does have bluetooth 4.0 for remote control via a Android App. It also adds 4.1 lbs to your 7.9 lb camera / lens for a 12 lb total. I tried to hand hold my 600mm lens plus 1D camera a few years ago when I was stronger. I could barely hold it still for a minute or so before it started wavering.
I noticed in the video that it was always two handed operation by holding the tripod. It could concievably be held one handed by one of those Russian athletes that held their flag out by one hand at the Olympics many years ago.

I'm not into video, but this does look like a reasonably priced component for those needing a gimbal, I was wondering about using it for stills to get all kinds of angles, low and high, but I don'[t see a easy way to trigger the shutter except by the buttons on the unit itself or a Android Device, holding a phone in one hand and the Stabilizer in the other would not be possible for me. I'll be watching for other remote shutter triggering options.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Yes, remote control is pretty important to me and so I suggest Scott that you pre-order and verify all the features for me on the 1DX2, and I'll jump ship! Looks like the price of accessories could be a factor but the Crane 2 sure did give Ronin a kick in the butt to compete and it looks like they've acted with vigour. Very interesting.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ethanz said:
Don't jump ship and leave me hanging here Jack.

There is always the impulse but it's not unlike Canon to Sony - the fine print matters ... and for me the cost of the add-ons does too. It's a little heavier bare but only about 1 1/2 lb. The main item for me will be the wireless. since my one disappointment has been my previous Camranger purchase relative to my gimbal.

Ethan, What we have is VG - do we have to have the "best"? One thing I don't like on the Crane is the transition from slow to fast on the pan/tilt button; it's far too finicky. I think I'll just slow down "high speed" and go with the single setting.

Mt Spokane, keep in mind that you don't have to be particularly steady holding that weight since the gimbal counters the movements so it's not as bad as you're thinking, plus you'd only go up to about 200 mm max with it but more likely be shooting wider than that where movements aren't as problematic. I'm curious now to try some hand held night photos at say 1 to 10 seconds shutter.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Don Haines said:

Don, I can all but guarantee you'd also have it in your hands, assuming they were free, aiming here and there, but I get your point. I'm not a fan of photos via LV but I guess one can get used to it. Touch focus is really helpful for video along with tracking and the gimbal will stay pointing at a subject as you float along, which could be really handy.

Jack

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Don Haines said:

I agree, for the most part shooting video,it is not one long continuous shot, but instead.....a lot of shorter shots that are edited together.

I just heard about this last night, and the price for what they say you get is AMAZING....get this rig and the follow focus motor and is only in about the $1K range or a bit less.

Along with the phone app, you can record motion shots with it, and using the built in tripod legs, or hooking to a tripod would be a HUGE help for one man band type scenarios.

If the follow focus is also programmable, then it would be amazingly useful.

But I rarely buy something when it first comes out, wanna see a few months of real use reviews of it...but on the surface, it looks darned good!!

Upvote 0