DJI Launches The Ronin-S Gimbal Stabilizer

Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Yes, remote control is pretty important to me and so I suggest Scott that you pre-order and verify all the features for me on the 1DX2, and I'll jump ship! Looks like the price of accessories could be a factor but the Crane 2 sure did give Ronin a kick in the butt to compete and it looks like they've acted with vigour. Very interesting.

Jack

We’ll sell the Crane and the CamRanger and get the Ronin, the last video on your linked page lays out the wireless remote control and it is leagues better than the Zhiyun. Progress in these things is darn quick!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
privatebydesign said:
Jack Douglas said:
I'm tempted!

Jack

I'm trying to preorder from a boat in the Caribbean Sea, I really like the look of the time-lapse functionality and feel it could open up some new output options for me.

PDB: Great to see you!!

Please, if you're an early adopter here, please keep us up to date on what you get and what you find with it.....

You've given me some good info and advice on a lot of things here and I'd be VERY interested in your thoughts and experiences on this when you get it...

C

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Jack Douglas said:
ethanz said:
Jack Douglas said:
I'm curious now to try some hand held night photos at say 1 to 10 seconds shutter.

Jack

Low shutter speed photos are not the best with a gimbal.

Elaborate. Seems OK in theory.

Jack

The gimbal and camera are still moving, if only very slightly. You don't notice it with video, because the video keeps moving, but with a still image, it wouldn't look very still!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
cayenne said:
privatebydesign said:
Jack Douglas said:
I'm tempted!

Jack

I'm trying to preorder from a boat in the Caribbean Sea, I really like the look of the time-lapse functionality and feel it could open up some new output options for me.

PDB: Great to see you!!

Please, if you're an early adopter here, please keep us up to date on what you get and what you find with it.....

You've given me some good info and advice on a lot of things here and I'd be VERY interested in your thoughts and experiences on this when you get it...

C

Hi cayenne,

I'm not really an early adopter either, especially of this kind of thing with software etc, but I got the preorder in so if I am in the first batch I'll have it in a few weeks. I have the 15mm, 11-24, 35 IS, 24-70 f2.8 MkI, and 70-200 f2.8 IS with me so can tell people if they balance with the 1DX MkII or not.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Good man Scott. I'll be waiting to here the very first experiences. I need a gimbal by August at the latest so maybe this will work out. ;) Are you getting any accessories - esp remote??

Jack

Hi Jack,

No I couldn't see a way of ordering any of the extras at this point, besides I'm not 100% sure what comes with it as I have seen conflicting reports about the mini screen that is in so many of the videos, and I think the remote control is WiFi and App based and that works via any phone/tablet.

I'll post when I get it.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Ethan my unfinished jobs are so plentiful that just thinking about them is depressing so GAS kind of lifts me out of the doldrums. ;)

Yesterday I pulled a 68 Falcon sports coupe out of the row of cars. I started restoring it about 25 years ago and after many hours of welding etc., other things came along and well here I am looking at all the degradation - sell as is??, put the mint interior back in and clean up some of the exterior??, push it over a cliff?? Tires are now rotten, paint is pealing ... ugh. All my own doing so what can I say! :(

Jack

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I looked around the DJI site....and I didn't see the option to buy the follow focus motor....

I'd really like THAT, at which point if I heard it all worked for the ballpark of $1K or under, I"ll be putting an order in too!!!

Ugh, this may be an expensive year.....I'm hoping to get an iMac Pro in the near future too...that's gonna be just over $8K.....

:O

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
cayenne said:
I looked around the DJI site....and I didn't see the option to buy the follow focus motor....

I'd really like THAT, at which point if I heard it all worked for the ballpark of $1K or under, I"ll be putting an order in too!!!

Ugh, this may be an expensive year.....I'm hoping to get an iMac Pro in the near future too...that's gonna be just over $8K.....

:O

I saw one video where they said the follow focus setup for manual ficus lenses would be released in a month or two. But I don't see why it isn't a cable and software thing for Canon EF lenses and I'd be surprised if it isn't done via the regular wheel soon via firmware upgrade, there is no way it is going to stay Panasonic only for long.

Though I only use EF lenses for video at the moment and rely on DPAF so the follow focus isn't important for me, what swung me was the advanced movements for time lapses etc that I haven't seen done by anybody in a gimbal for close to this price bracket. Having got a DJI Mavic Air recently I have been impressed with their software so I'll see first hand if I went the right way.

In the literature it seems to show it comes with a wired focus wheel, like the Crane 2 (which works with Canon EF lenses), but a lot of the videos of the release model show a small screen module there instead, I'm interested to see what I actually get in the box.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Is follow focus something different than me just rotating the gimbal focus wheel to manually override the DPAF??

Jack

Hi Jack,

It's the same thing, the DJI only works on Panasonic cameras so far via cable and software/camera interface. They are showing a motor accessory that will work on pretty much any lens but I'd be surprised if they don't make the AF work via cable to camera, as the Crane 2 does, in time.

However, as I already said I rely on DPAF at this point and having the screen unobstructed by the back arm so I can use the touch screen easily is a big bonus.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
privatebydesign said:
Jack Douglas said:
Is follow focus something different than me just rotating the gimbal focus wheel to manually override the DPAF??

Jack

Hi Jack,

It's the same thing, the DJI only works on Panasonic cameras so far via cable and software/camera interface. They are showing a motor accessory that will work on pretty much any lens but I'd be surprised if they don't make the AF work via cable to camera, as the Crane 2 does, in time.

However, as I already said I rely on DPAF at this point and having the screen unobstructed by the back arm so I can use the touch screen easily is a big bonus.

Yes touching the screen is a mild irritant but it didn't really hamper me too much never the less why not correct it. I'm really pleased with the DPAF and how it'll automatically switch from the selected object when it goes out of sight. The gimbal has raised my desire to do video big time.

Jack

Upvote 0