Do I need the 580?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pwp said:
For external power, the options begin with aftermarket knockoffs of the Canon battery pack which takes 8 AA cells; readily available on eBay. The knock-offs are almost certain to disappoint. At the other end of the scale is the unbelievably durable, justifiably expensive Quantum Turbo series of batteries. This is what I have used for years.
I disagree about the knock off external battery packs
I have 4 yongnuo external battery packs at $46 each they are great filled with eneloops the flashes are good to shoot all day with no battery change and fast recycle time. they are a great matchup with the 580exii

Upvote 0
P

Penn Jennings

pwp said:
For external power, the options begin with aftermarket knockoffs of the Canon battery pack which takes 8 AA cells; readily available on eBay. The knock-offs are almost certain to disappoint. At the other end of the scale is the unbelievably durable, justifiably expensive Quantum Turbo series of batteries. This is what I have used for years.

Link to flash output comparo: http://speedlights.net/speedlights-power-index/

As a great mentor of mine once told me, why not travel first class? Go with the 580. Use L glass. Shine your shoes. Give flowers.

Paul Wright

I have a knock off battery pack that I got for $50 and I have to say that it has performed as well as I could possibly hope for with my 580 EX II.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049JO71G/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

With any knockoff Canon gear, you need to do some research. At a minimum read buyer reviews. EBay doesn't really support product reviews and often there is no product return. I'd recommend a site like Amazon where you can see objective user reviews. You will also have a 30 money return window. eBay is usually much more risk for slightly more savings in my opinion.

Upvote 0
What it really comes down to is do you need HSS (high speed sync) and using the flash as a master
On amazon you can get a Yongnuo 565 for 149
http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-565EX-Speedlite-Flash-Canon/dp/B005HYMUX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329877122&sr=8-1

and all that it is lacking is the two things I listed above. Its 469 to get ONE 580 EXII so you can buy two or three of the off brand flashes (just in case one dies or something) and you will still come out on top. I have a Yongnuo and it works great and I have off brand battery packs as well that work great with it. I do also have a 430EXII and with my past jobs I have used the 580EXII. To me it comes down to the HSS I need that at times but if you don't its a great alternative.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
I too am a hobbyist with a 7D which can act as a master trigger. Without repeating others' comments too much, get a 580EX II for all the reasons already mentioned but mostly because it can act as a master where the 430s cannot.

Trust me, if you think you are going to get into flash photography, you will want a second and possibly a 3rd flash. Get the 580 EX II first. I have 1 - 580 EXII and 2 - 430 EXIIs. I often use a 3 flash setup and most of the time I use the 580 as the master trigger (via an extra long ETTL cord, see link below).

Yes my 7D can fire all 3 of my Speedlights but I often don't use he master function on my 7D because I often place my slaves outside of the 7D's FOV. Also, as mention in the thread, the 430 head rotation is only 270 degrees, sometimes I wish one of my 430s was a 580 just for that reason. I love my 430s, but I love my 580 a little more.

A must have, get the 33 footer:
http://ocfgear.com/cords-for-canon-ettl/ettl-cord-extra-long/

Upvote 0
Penn Jennings said:
pwp said:

Link to flash output comparo: http://speedlights.net/speedlights-power-index/

As a great mentor of mine once told me, why not travel first class? Go with the 580. Use L glass. Shine your shoes. Give flowers.

Paul Wright

I have a knock off battery pack that I got for $50 and I have to say that it has performed as well as I could possibly hope for with my 580 EX II.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049JO71G/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

With any knockoff Canon gear, you need to do some research. At a minimum read buyer reviews. EBay doesn't really support product reviews and often there is no product return. I'd recommend a site like Amazon where you can see objective user reviews. You will also have a 30 money return window. eBay is usually much more risk for slightly more savings in my opinion.

most of the big hong kong based sellers have excellent service and accept returns and will replace faulty gear never had a problem with any of them

Upvote 0
lexonio said:
First of all I'd like to say that I'm a hobbyist, not a professional photographer, and only recently did I get into flash photography. My current setup is 550D + 24-105L, but I'm getting one of the 5Ds (ii or iii) when the latter is available. I'm mostly shooting general "walkaround" photography with some lean towards press photography (e.g. political meetings and etc.). I also shoot at weddings,

Are you shooting the weddings as the official paid photographer, or are you a guest with a camera ? One thing to keep in mind is that it's a faux pas to shoot with a flash when the official photographer is shooting the same scene, especially at critical moments (like the ceremony, the first dance, etc).

In addition to a flash, you might want to add to your lens lineup with some faster glass (e.g. 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8)

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
wickidwombat said:
pwp said:
I have 4 yongnuo external battery packs at $46 each they are great filled with eneloops the flashes are good to shoot all day with no battery change and fast recycle time. They are a great matchup with the 580exii

That's great. I'm glad someone has had success with the aftermarket battery packs. After a run of 3 DOA packs from different sources, I understandably gave up on them.

But keeping on topic with the OP, my point was that 580ex has the useful advantage over the 430ex of accepting external power.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
pwp said:
wickidwombat said:
pwp said:
I have 4 yongnuo external battery packs at $46 each they are great filled with eneloops the flashes are good to shoot all day with no battery change and fast recycle time. They are a great matchup with the 580exii

That's great. I'm glad someone has had success with the aftermarket battery packs. After a run of 3 DOA packs from different sources, I understandably gave up on them.

But keeping on topic with the OP, my point was that 580ex has the useful advantage over the 430ex of accepting external power.

Paul Wright

Ouchies! wow 3! were they all yongnuo? or another brand. hope they gave you refunds

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, I'll be getting the 580 it seems. I've been mostly concerned about the size and weight differences but as I see now it's negligible. HSS is a good thing to have, as I have told I'm a hobbyist and new to flash photography, but on paper this feature seems interesting, even if it's only useful when shooting at tele ranges. What's better is it being more powerful and having a master mode - I'm getting there, but maybe in the end I'll be using 2+ flashes. Thank you once again people, you've been very very helpful. I can't name everyone in this thread, but each and every post here has been helpful and influenced my decision. I'm happy to know that a community as awesome as this one exists :)

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
wickidwombat said:
Ouchies! wow 3! were they all yongnuo? or another brand. hope they gave you refunds

No Yongnuos in the mix. They sound fine. I got one dud from DPP in Sydney, two from eBay sellers. Can't remember the brands.
Refund was a simple matter from DPP. eBay sellers were not worth the time & trouble to follow up.

Now it's 100% Quantum Turbo. One SC and one T3. 100% dependable. Stunningly long life. Stunningly high price. Sigh...

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
Get the 580. I bought the 430ex II a while back and absolutely love it. So why would I suggest you get the 580? A couple of weekends ago I was doing some shooting at a friends wedding and quickly realized that in a larger room you need the extra power of the 580. I have also found it is very helpful in houses with high ceilings when you want to bounce your flash.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
lexonio said:
Thanks everyone, I'll be getting the 580 it seems. I've been mostly concerned about the size and weight differences but as I see now it's negligible. HSS is a good thing to have, as I have told I'm a hobbyist and new to flash photography, but on paper this feature seems interesting, even if it's only useful when shooting at tele ranges. What's better is it being more powerful and having a master mode - I'm getting there, but maybe in the end I'll be using 2+ flashes. Thank you once again people, you've been very very helpful. I can't name everyone in this thread, but each and every post here has been helpful and influenced my decision. I'm happy to know that a community as awesome as this one exists :)

+1. I love this site - I learned so much by reading the posts, especially from neuroanatomist

Have fun with the 580EX II ;)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
tt said:
If you're thinking about the 580 - how much more is it to start thinking about the Einstein?

Perhaps double, once you include the stronger stand, larger modifiers, and a Vagabond Mini-Li battery pack if portability is important.

But then...how much is good light - and enough of it - worth?

Einsteins (or other PC Buff lights) vs Speedlites are two totally different animals. For a first flash I would always recommend a TTL capable Speedlite and then move onto studio strobes if that is where your photography takes you. The Speedlite is very portable and you will use it in situations you would never consider bringing an Einstein.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

neuroanatomist said:
tt said:
If you're thinking about the 580 - how much more is it to start thinking about the Einstein?

Perhaps double, once you include the stronger stand, larger modifiers, and a Vagabond Mini-Li battery pack if portability is important.

But then...how much is good light - and enough of it - worth?

Two 580EX on camera anyone?

img_7538x.jpg

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Jamesy said:
Is that part of your wedding portrait kit?

That is my event kit - the two 580 each fire off at low power so recycle time is almost instantaneous
Right because twice the light sources equals, half the power on each strobe and therefore half the recycle time - nice solution.

Do the events you shoot have tall doorways? ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.