Do old Memory Cards slow down ?

Apr 9, 2014
www.andrew-davies.com
OK so something I am wondering having bought a couple of new CF cards for my Canon 5Dmk4.

I change the cards periodically as a wedding photographer just for safety of knowing they are not so old, the card I have just changed is a Compact Flash 64GB sandisk Extreme 120mb/s and I changed it for an identical card , both cards are genuine and verified by sandisk as I always get a check from them as a precaution and the older card is coming up to 2 years.

I did a read / write speed test between the new and old cards and there seems to be a difference of around 20-30 mbs especially on the read side between the old and new card ( the newer one reading around 80-90 mbs consistently. The same lexar pro CFR1 reader was used for both cards and test repeated a few times with the same results.

So my question is after many uses does the CF card read/write speed actually reduce with age ?

Thanks in advance

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria

Sep 18, 2019
I Think it cannot be define the CF card read/write speed reduce with age . I had a Sandisk Extreme 128 GB CF card write speeds of up to 150mb/s and read speed is slightly faster at 160mb/s, getting my images on mycomputer then I can edit.

tron

EOS 5D SR
Nov 8, 2011
ok. you can low level format CF cards in camera too. :)
How? Read the instruction sheet I attached from the instructions.

Have you low-level formated many CF cards on 5D cameras?

Last edited:

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
I think its more likely that new cards are faster. As new memory manufacturing comes online, the proportion of fast memory chips is likely to rise. As I understand it, memory of the same type is sorted by speed into different grades. Its likely that memory that exceeds the requirements for the rated speed is going into your newer CF memory. Typically, memory cards are a little slower than their rated speed when used in real world equipment, so faster memory may move it closer to rated speed.

Apr 9, 2014
www.andrew-davies.com
I think its more likely that new cards are faster. As new memory manufacturing comes online, the proportion of fast memory chips is likely to rise. As I understand it, memory of the same type is sorted by speed into different grades. Its likely that memory that exceeds the requirements for the rated speed is going into your newer CF memory. Typically, memory cards are a little slower than their rated speed when used in real world equipment, so faster memory may move it closer to rated speed.
that makes sense thank you :)