Do you go through stages of loving primes or zooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2011
willrobb said:
Axilrod said:
I bought my 5D Mark II in Nov 2011, and the madness began:
(in order)
50mm f/1.4 (first one I grabbed)
35L & 50L - paid $2400 for the pair from a wedding photographer that had switched to Nikon
85mm f/1.8
16-35mm f/2.8L II
24-70mm f/2.8L
70-200 f/2.8L IS - Traded the 35L and 85 1.8 for this one for some reason
100L
135L
35L (2nd copy)
14L II

I sold all the zooms except the 16-35 (which I'm about to sell), but I'm not gonna lie there are times I really wish I had a 24-70 to walk around with, switching lenses can be a bitch.

When I was reading you got the 35L and 50L for $2400 I was well impressed, then when I read you traded the 35L I was momentarily shocked until I saw you got a second copy ::) You certainly have did a lot of shopping, nice one.

Yeah at the time I still had the 24-70, and with the 16-35 I just felt like I didn't need a dedicated 35mm lens, so I traded it and the 85 1.8 for the 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

The guy at the local camera shop told me if I ever wanted to sell it he would take it off my hands, and one day a few months later he called telling me he had gotten a 35 1.4 and 85L II from an estate of a photographer that had died. They were both never taken out of the studio, so I went to the shop, he gave me $1600 for the 70-200 and I paid another $1200 and got the 85L II and 35L. They were both so mint, the 35L was from 2001 and looked so much better than the first copy I had from 2006. I mean it looked brand new, as did the 85L.

I never realized I had traded a 35 and 85 (1.8) for the 70-200 and ended up trading it back for another 85 and 35L haha

Upvote 0
B

branden

Oh my, the gear I've gone through over the years ... :( lament for sold gear

in approximate order:
* EF-S 18-55 (the original) - SOLD
* Tamron 70-300 (the 2004 version) - SOLD
* Sigma 10mm fisheye - SOLD
* 28-135 - SOLD and good riddance
* 24-70L - SOLD (I miss it)
* Nifty Fifty - SOLD (and then later purchased another)
* 135 Soft Focus - SOLD (outclassed by the 135L, although not to shabby itself)
* 70-300 DO - SOLD and never looked back
* EF 20mm - SOLD and not missed
* 70-200 f4L IS - SOLD because it's ostentatious
* 180L - SOLD because it weight a thousand pounds
* 85 f/1.8 - SOLD and slightly missed
* 28 f/1.8 - SOLD because it halates
* 50 f/1.4 - SOLD for greener pastures
* EF-S 18-135 - still got it! although I'll probably sell it soon
* EF 35-70 - SOLD because I don't know why I even bought this ancient thing
* 200 f/2.8L - SOLD in lieu of 135L
* 35 f/2 - SOLD and I sort of miss it
* 100 macro - SOLD and not missed
* Zeiss 2/50 - my baby <3
* 100 f/2 - SOLD and not missed
* 24L - on its way out the door
* 135L - still hanging on!
* Zeiss 18 - RETURNED within the 30 days (I'm learning!)
* Nifty fifty - not going to sell it this time
* 16-35L - on it's way here right now!
* 24-105L - will probably get this in a couple weeks

This list does not include rented or borrowed gear, which is also lengthy. I don't know why I've worked my way through half the Canon lens catalog over the years -- I mean, I know in my head that it's the photographer that makes the picture and NOT the gear. But for some reason I always feel limited by what I've got, and that if I just sell lens X to finance lens Y then I'll finally have the right gear for my shooting style.

On the flip side, I actually feel like my shooting style has evolved greatly over the years, and I've been good enough about selling what I no longer need that the gear I have tends to match my style at the time. I spent a long time in primes learning how to shoot and what works well at specific focal lengths, but now I'm coming back around to zooms just so I can have less stuff and focus more on composition and less on gear.

Upvote 0
S

shinyknights

I just got into photography last November during Black Friday. Since then, I've acquired a total of four lenses.

EF 24-105mm f/4 L
EF 100mm f/2.8 L macro
EF 85mm f/1.8
EF 50mm f/1.4

I'm finding that I am liking primes for their big apertures. I do a lot of indoor/night photography and am a big fan of getting that bokeh. I'm hoping to upgrade these primes to the L lenses as I learn more and develop more techniques.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
smirkypants said:
Zooms are practical family sedans and primes are impractical but fun convertibles.

+1 for the laugh.

For sheer practicality and a consistently higher percentage of commercially viable keepers I just keep going back to the zooms. With constant time constraints and the flexibility offered by high quality zooms, plus the minimized mass/weight of having three f/2.8 lenses in the bag that cover from 16-200mm, in my business the zooms rule.

Like others I fall in and out of love with primes. The two I find it hard to leave at home are the 24 f/1.4II and the 300 f/2.8is. Others languish in the lens cupboard, left behind because I know they'd most likely be dead weight in the bag. I know this may not be a typical experience, it's just a particular "practical family sedan" working reality.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

pwp said:
smirkypants said:
Zooms are practical family sedans and primes are impractical but fun convertibles.
For sheer practicality and a consistently higher percentage of commercially viable keepers I just keep going back to the zooms. With constant time constraints and the flexibility offered by high quality zooms, plus the minimized mass/weight of having three f/2.8 lenses in the bag that cover from 16-200mm, in my business the zooms rule.
You can't take the kids to soccer practice in that Zeiss 25/f2, but damn that 70-200/2.8 drives like a minivan and is about as sexy. The Zeiss makes me want to bust out the Chuck Taylors and hang out in coffee shops in Soho.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.