Do You Use Third Party Batteries in Your Canon Cameras?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Out of personal curiosity, I asked on last night on Twitter if you folks used third party batteries in your Canon cameras. The results so far actually shock me, it’s quite close to a 50/50 split.</p>
<div align="center">
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en">
<p dir="ltr" lang="en">Do you use third party batteries in your Canon cameras?</p>

<p>— Canon Rumors (@canonrumorsguy) <a href="https://twitter.com/canonrumorsguy/status/910303513053470720">September 20, 2017</a></p></blockquote>
<p><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script></div>
<p>If you do use third party batteries, please let us and others know what brands have worked for you on the forum or via Twitter.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
The main attraction for third party batteries is that battery technology improves but Canon never revises the older models. For example the NB-2LH is still sold new by Canon with the original 800 mAh spec but misc brands have compatible ones from 1800 to 2100 mAh. This is a huge incentive to buy non-Canon. It's not that the others are doing something sketchy to get that much power but just because the tech has changed.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I have bought 8 batteries for my 5D III and then 5DSR, all of which have been third-party (plus the two canon batteries that came with the bodies).

So far, one battery has failed entirely (as in it no longer accepts a charge) - and this was one bought in late 2012 or early 2013 for the 5D III. All the others still work fine.

On my A7RII I use a mixture of genuine and third-party batteries. I have had slightly less success with these, with three failing within a year out of maybe 10 or so. But one of those that failed was an official Sony battery (albeit an older one that came with my older NEX camera)

Never had any other issues.

On my M3/M5/M6 I have a bunch of genuine LP-E16s because at the time third-party batteries weren't available.

But after continuous heavy use over many years I have never had any issue that has made me regret saving the money.

Upvote 0
Never had a problem with third-party batteries in my cameras. Used them exclusively when I had a 400D, and now with my 700D all but 1 are third-party - Duracell, specifically. Why? Simple, the Canon originals are overpriced.

List price of Canon LP-E8 is £49.99, and at best you can expect to save 10% on that at Amazon etc., whereas when I last purchased Duracell LP-E8 compatible batteries I got 4 for £29.97. Admittedly they'd dropped in price over time, but even 3 years ago when I first bought the Duracell compatibles I got 4 for ~£45. Note I haven't needed to replace those first 4 - they still work fine - I bought 4 more because the I found that the 5 batteries I had proved to only just be enough when I was away from power for 3-4 days on holiday.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
I use third party batteries as spare batteries. I typically use them only when needed i.e if I run out of the primary one or forget it in the charger. I typically have bought the very cheapest ones in the 10 € price range. Only two of the total ten have run out and needed to be replaced. On my G9 X II I bought a more expensive one at 40 € - still half of the original. In 3.5 months I have used it three times. I would be uncomfortable with only one battery.

Upvote 0
I used to - bought 2 LP-E6s for my 6D, but when I upgraded to a 5D IV they did not work. Even on the 6D, however, I found that they would not hold a charge very well - I'd get less than half the performance of the Canon-made batteries. In the end, they weren't really worth the weight except in unusual circumstances.

Today I'd rather not risk damaging the camera so it's all original Canon batteries from here on out.

Upvote 0