Do You Use Third Party Batteries in Your Canon Cameras?

Jan 29, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
magarity said:
The main attraction for third party batteries is that battery technology improves but Canon never revises the older models.

Totally disagree, I think the main attraction for the majority of people is that third-party batteries are cheap.

Agree with Neuro. And it isn't true that Canon never revises older models, they give the higher capacity battery a new name, the LP-E4/LP-E4N are interchangeable with the higher capacity LP-E19.

Upvote 0
Of course, I do. :)
Some of them are 1/3 of the price. I own 5 Canon batteries, 3 of them "N" version. Also 5 third party batteries, some of them are "N" versions too.
The cheaper batteries are about 3/4 (two of them 100%) of the capacity of the original Canons.
Life is also not as long, mostly they were defective after 24 month. My oldest Canon batteriy is from 2011. And it still works.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Yes I do use 3rd party batteries in my cameras. Unfortunately, these days they (the ones I have tried) are not as good as the OEM packs - but at the price - who cares?

In the past, when I used the BP511 packs the 3rd party packs were vastly superior in both capacity and longevity. 3 Canon packs all dead within 36 months, five 3rd party packs (slightly cheaper than one Canon pack) were still performing better after 9 years than the Canon ones when new.

Pity the current 3rd party Lp-E4 and LP-E6 3rd party packs don't seem to be as good. I live in hope!

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
SkynetTX said:
Never. It simply makes no sense to buy a cheap battery to save $10-20 after you bought a camera for thousands of dollars. Not to mention the lenses and other accesories. :)

Not everyone pays thousands for a camera. My most expensive camera was 424 €. I bought a third party battery for 40 €, original would have been 90 €.

Upvote 0
magarity said:
The main attraction for third party batteries is that battery technology improves but Canon never revises the older models. For example the NB-2LH is still sold new by Canon with the original 800 mAh spec but misc brands have compatible ones from 1800 to 2100 mAh. This is a huge incentive to buy non-Canon. It's not that the others are doing something sketchy to get that much power but just because the tech has changed.

those power claims are wildly optimistic. sometimes I think they actually do put enough cells in the 3rd party packs to be capable of holding that much, only because they know 1/3 of them will be DOA and the battery will then be the same capacity or thereabouts as the OEM model.

Upvote 0

foo

Sep 10, 2016
neuroanatomist said:
Totally disagree, I think the main attraction for the majority of people is that third-party batteries are cheap.

I have a Hahnel HLX-E6N, main attraction was that real LP-E6N's were simply unavailable at the time. Yes it was slightly cheaper than the Canon, it's also theoretically 2000mAh rather than 1800mAh. In practise I don't find it any better or worse than the genuine Canon battery.
It's been used along with a couple of LP-E6N's over the last year or so with no difficulties.

Would I have bought a genuine LP-E6N if it had been available? Probably. At this point though I don't have any concerns with the Hahnel battery.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have tried them in years past, but they were awful. I once bought a used P&S camera, and went to replace the battery, but could not get it out, it had overheated and was bulging, stuck solid. I drilled several holes until I was able to collapse it and pull it out with some needle nosed pliers. It was a 3rd party battery. The camera came with a second identical battery that did hold a charge, but I tossed them both and bought the right one.

If its not a critical use, a brand that has a actual company behind it might be acceptable. I would not trust taking one on a aircraft, or for any use where I depended on the battery to be reliable.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I bought 4 DSTE brand LP-E6 batteries 2 each for my 7D and 7DII for <£18 a pair (£68 each from WEX) including a mains / 12v charger so I can charge them in the car, I also bought 1 spare LP-E12 with charger for Angela's 100D.
I'm not just saving a few bucks I'm saving £60 per LP-E6 battery! They are available cheaper elsewhere but I wonder if £50 paid to unknownbatteryshop.com might be a counterfeit which is even worse than 3rd party imo.
My 1DsIII came with the two batteries as supplied new so no need to buy a spare.
I have one battery that is down to 1 red square on the recharge gauge and that is a genuine Canon LP-E6, the one that came in the camera box!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0