Do You Use Third Party Batteries in Your Canon Cameras?

maves

24mm TS-e ii is life!
Sep 21, 2017
Tasmania
In some markets genuine accessories are excessively expensive. I use Genuine in my 5diii but only because I could get them at a good price. Genuine batteries in Australia often cost over AU$100 when generics can be bought for closer to $20.

With a professional camera that I rely on I use genuine, but there is no way I would expect someone with an entry level camera worth $250 including battery to spend $100 on a genuine battery.

There is also a huge difference between reputable 3rd party batteries (which are possibly made to a similar spec and standard as OEM batteries) and cheap eBay knock offs. Buying cheap generic batteries online from places like eBay is a gamble

Upvote 0
I ever used at never intend to use third party batteries. Although I made that decision quite a while ago, these articles confirmed to me what I already suspected, especially the second one where actual capacity is tested:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2016/09/07/caffeine-priority-first-party-batteries-are-expensive-but-probably-worth-it
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/10/28/counterfeit-battery-fakes-with-risks

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Re: Do You Use Third Party Batteries in Your Canon Cameras?ry

My spare batteries are all copies. I've used a lot of DTSE's batteries too. They are pretty good. They do die over time but are way cheaper than the original. I'd buy Canon batteries if they were more reasonably priced. Hahnel are good (every thing they make is good. I've met the owner in person - very clever businessman) but pricey enough.

Upvote 0
I have 4 Watson LP-E6 that I bought from B&H and they work fine. I haven't noticed any difference in performance vs. the Canon batteries nor have any of the cameras I've owned complained about them. I don't own a 5D4 or 6D2 so can't say about those. I also have one of their dual-bay Watson chargers which works pretty well and includes a 12V DC car cable which is awesome.

My only rule is that I don't mix Canon and Watson batteries in the same 2-slot battery grip. I either use two Watson or two Canon. The batteries and chargers seem to mix fine.

I only use Canon LP-E19's. They run so long that I don't need more than two. Would love to find a smaller 3rd party charger for travel. The Canon LC-E19 charger seem unnecessarily large. It has two bays but only one works at a time so not sure what the value of that is. Also no 12V.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Ive had really good luck with the Wasabi Power batteries over a variety of brands (LP-E6 and LP-E8 for Canon, NP-FW50 for Sony). They list them as being higher mAh than the OEM batteries, which hasnt been my experience. But my LP-E6 knockoffs held up as well for like 6-7 years now. My FW50's are probably still 80-90% the original after 2-3 years now.

The way Canon prices batteries, I probably paid 20-25% the OEM price. Sony, about 40-50% OEM.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It really depends on the battery. Fully decoded batteries that have been around a while like LPE6 have highly reliable after-market batteries.

So yes, on LPE6... I have 3 original Canon LPE6 batteries (that all came with bodies) and about 10+ aftermarket ones; I leave spares everywhere and they are all interchangeable to me.

For a charger: I use two dual battery chargers with interchangeable plates. Usually, only 1 slot is for LPE6, but sometimes I swap out a plate for dual charging if I have a bunch of batteries that happen to all be out. The other is for the popular Sony F530/550/570 batteries that are used in tons of devices like LED panels, field monitors, that kind of thing.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Patona, Patona Premium, VHBW, Weiss batteries in use, all with the Patona chargers.
Never had any problems with 3rd party batteries, but I have several dead originals.

Most of the casualties are BP-511 (10D), one is LP-E5 (450D), two are NP-E3 (1D MkII),
one is LP-E6.

Currently in use 3rd party batterie types:
LP-E12 Patona
LP-E17 Patona Premium
LP-E5 VHBW
LP-E6 Patona Premium, Patona, Weiss, VHBW
NP-E3 VHBW

Upvote 0
MrFotoFool said:
Canon batteries only. Given the miniscule price of a battery compared to a camera body, it seems like an odd thing to skimp on to save twenty or thirty bucks.

Someone at Canon just sent a virtual kiss your way.
It must be nice to know that no matter how overpriced you make your accessoires, there's more than enough fan boys out there that buy it CAUSE IT'S CANON.

Upvote 0
Posted this awhile ago in another thread, but thought it may be helpful for this discussion:

I own many 3rd party batteries that have been purchased throughout the past several years. By product of doing video work and needing to swap semi-frequently throughout the day between camera(s), monitor(s) and sometimes an LED light. Have several Canon, Watson, Wasabi Power, and Kastar branded LP-E6 and LP-E6N's.

Watson's are labeled as three different types:
LPE6 7.4V/1750mAh/12.95Wh (x5)
LP-E6N 7.2V/1900mAh/14.7Wh (x2, most recently purchased)
LP-E6N 7.4V/2000mAh/14.8Wh (x2)

The two Watson batteries labeled LP-E6N 7.4V/2000mAh/14.8Wh are the ones with an issue. They display the "Battery communication error. Does this battery/ do these batteries display the Canon logo? No / Yes" menu.

The Wasabi Power were purchased at different times, but they are all labeled as:
BTR-LPE6-JWP 7.2V/2600mAh/18.7Wh (x9)

The Wasabi Power are great 3rd party batteries but no where near the advertised specs. In fact, they are identical to the newest model Watson LP-E6N 7.2V/1900mAh/14.7Wh batteries and available at a much lower price.

The Kastar batteries are all labeled as:
LP-E6 7.2V/2950mAh and no mention of Wh (x12)

I would not purchase these ever again unless you only want to charge them in an OFFICIAL Canon charger. Out of the twelve I currently own, at least 5 must be charged ONLY in a Canon branded official charger. At least two (probably four) have been recycled.

Upvote 0