Do You Use Third Party Batteries in Your Canon Cameras?

Nov 4, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
... The results so far actually shock me, it’s quite close to a 50/50 split.

what is shocking about this? Given Canon's - and all other OEM manufacturers'- extreme pricing of simple batteries? Typically they are charging a multiple of 4 to what could be considered a fair price [no, i am not talking about 3,99 USD China stuff] - this is already considering that OEM batteries usually do have somewhat better selected cells and electronics so they hold their charge better.

So, of course me and at least half of all users buy less expensive batteries as well.

Personally I had one bad 3rd party LiIon battery a long time ago and zero issues since.

Upvote 0

eli452

When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
Sep 4, 2013
Israel
neuroanatomist said:
magarity said:
The main attraction for third party batteries is that battery technology improves but Canon never revises the older models.

Totally disagree, I think the main attraction for the majority of people is that third-party batteries are cheap.

Price, I agree is the main attraction. Problem is not all of them can be charged with genuine Canon charger. For me travel with two chargers is a no no.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi AvTvM.
We all like to think we might be buying DECENT third party batteries, how about Vivitar, many of us would recognise this as a well known trusted brand.
From the linked article, one battery packed with rubber and another with smaller cells and a steel plate to make up the weight so it "feels" right?
It seems the problem is finding the DECENT battery amongst the rest.

Cheers, Graham.

AvTvM said:
DECENT third party batteries are *NOT CHEAP*. they are fairly priced. Canon / all OEM brand batteries are excessively over-priced.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
of course it is a problem to find decent products at fair prices. i was sold a "genuine original canon battery" once by a dealer with excellent customer trist rating ... and it turned out to be counterfeit - very hard to notice by the way. i did get refund. i am willing to pay a SOMEWHAT higher price for somewhat better products - talking about a premium of maybe 20% - if i can be 100% sure to get the real deal, original OEM product.

i am Not willing to pay 4 or 5 times of fair value for a product when i can still be nit sure whether or not it is counterfeit and/or any better than third party offerings.

i do consider batteries for cameras like tites for cars: an important consumable, that i don't have to buy from the car maker/dealership. :)

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi AvTvM.
Absolutely agree, consumables, much like I wouldn't buy a Canon CF card and have tried and use lenses from other manufacturers.

Cheers, Graham.

AvTvM said:
i do consider batteries for cameras like tires for cars: an important consumable, that i don't have to buy from the car maker/dealership. :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AJ said:
I have used third-party batteries in the past, with good success (Sterlingtek). This was before chipped batteries.

Chipped batteries are a blatant money grab from camera manufacturers. But, sign of the times; taking a macro look at it all, nobody buys a camera (or skips one) because it uses a chipped battery, though they might do so because of battery compatibility with ones they already have. And the chipped battery ensures additional revenue, at least until the chip is decoded.

So, you could argue, all that wonderful new tech in the camera that you're getting at a lower price than the last camera is subsidized in part by overpriced accessories that they know most people will buy :p

Valvebounce said:
Hi AvTvM.
Absolutely agree, consumables, much like I wouldn't buy a Canon CF card and have tried and use lenses from other manufacturers.

Cheers, Graham.

AvTvM said:
i do consider batteries for cameras like tires for cars: an important consumable, that i don't have to buy from the car maker/dealership. :)

This is a good analogy.

However, where it breaks down a little is that most of the knockoff companies are very cheap Chinese offerings, and I would not put a cheap Chinese battery in my car. Likewise, a lot of those cheap Chinese memory cards are junk, if you care at all about write speed.

For LPE6 batteries though, I haven't ever had a problem with cheap Chinese batteries (these aren't exactly rocket science :p). Also, Canon doesn't make a dual LPE6 charger, so I use a knockoff charger, even though I have several originals.

If Canon wanted my business for premium products, I would happily pay US$150 for a 4-battery LPE6 charger 8)

I would also pay US$100 for a rechargeable lithium battery pack that fit into Canon 4-battery flashes like 600EXRT. And, I would even probably pay Canon's price for an LPE6 battery if it had significantly more mAH than third-party batteries.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
For my original 7D, I bought Hahnel batteries and have been happy with them - I still use them on my 7D2/6D and even after recharges over 10 years, I do not see any performance difference to the Canon originals. I am naturally cautious and would not buy a different third-party brand because I have no idea what I am getting - while I know and agree that many people buy batteries much cheaper and are happy with them, I see no reason to buy a £1200 camera and risk it by saving a few £ on the battery.
For my 1Dx2 it is Canon battery and only Canon battery.

Upvote 0
Only for my 1Ds MkII as the OEM NP-E3 batteries are no longer available. So I buy NiMH AA tabbed batteries and replace the NiCd cells in the old shells when they die and can still charge them with the OEM charger. Not for the faint of heart but this way it works better than after-market brands which either don't last, dont seat properly or aren't weather sealed.

Upvote 0
Colleagues: I am sort of the "simple son" here, so forgive an ignoramus' question: assuming a hypothetical equal build quality, will a 2600 mAh battery last longer, perform better, give more shots than, say, a 1900 mAh battery?

My own third-party experience has been excellent. I often shoot in harsh conditions, and sometimes 2,000-3000 images a day in a 5d3 and 5d4, with big autofocus lenses. If I carry 2-3 extra batteries with me (as I always do) I have never run out of juice. I use Wasabi and B&H. A few years ago I bought one set of batteries which didnt charge well; the company said they'd changed manufacturers and replaced the batteries (with an extra freebie) instantly.

I may be penny wise and pound foolish; but it irks me to pay 4-5 times the cost of, say, a Wasabi by buying Canon OEM. Assuming no risk to the camera --and of course I know that opinions on this differ -- I consider them equivalent.

Upvote 0
Colleagues: I am sort of the "simple son" here, so forgive an ignoramus' question: assuming a hypothetical equal build quality, will a 2600 mAh battery last longer, perform better, give more shots than, say, a 1900 mAh battery?
Yes. Two hypothetical batteries with the same quality, the one of 2600mAh will last longer until unloading, and allows to take more photos.

However it is hard to believe that in the same size as the original 1800mAh battery, a third-party battery has truly 2600mAh.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
dickgrafixstop said:
I don't believe Canon makes it's own batteries anyway. It just irritates me that Canon expects me to pay 4 to 5 times the amount the 3rd party battery makers charge just for the logo.

i use a mix of canon and 3rd patzy LiIon batteries. canon buys them from external suppluers (most likely Panasonic). i do believe that Canon has toghter specs and quality control measures in place for the cells, since they can less afford any damage to their brand by overheatibg batteries and potential massive reacalls than the Wasabi's of this world. in my experience i do get a bit more juice consistently and for more recharge cycles put of OEM batteries. but looking at maybe 10-20%, not 4-5 times as the price differential ....

Upvote 0