Do you wish your 70-200L were black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlanF said:
Near-white concrete will also feel far hotter than grass. Try it - also guaranteed. The transfer of heat is far more complicated than just colour.

Hi all!

Grass is not the kind of "material" to take into account for such a comparison. Vegetables (and all living tissues) contain water and transpire, water evaporation abstracts heat and lowers the temperature.

Neuro's first post is spot on.

C'mon Canon, how long for the first sweating lens with built-in water tank to keep the temperature constantly low? ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Yes white reflects more light than black and causes less temperature build-up. However, as far as lenses are concerned its irrevelevant. Some time ago I saw an interview with Chuck Westfall were he basically admitted that the off-white coloring on some Canon lenses is pure and utter marketing shit.

Canon uses the white coloring even on some L-lenses - e.g. 70-200/2.8 L and 70-200/2.8 L IS without any fluorite element. http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/lenses/fluorite_aspherical_and_ud_lenses.do

There are only two valid reasons for the white coloring used in many Canon L-tele-lenses and a few Minolta G-tele-lenses:
1. white lenses stand out at large (sports and other) public events
2. white color as well as the red L-ring are used by Canon and Minolta to create the impression of "premium grade" in order to charge more than for equally good black lenses

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:

I remember back in the late 80's, I believe it was, the owner of the local camera shop I frequented had a gold version of an AE-1 that I thought was really cool at the time since it was like mine, only better :)
It may have been some type of sales reward or something, but I haven't been able to find anything like it during casual web searches.

Upvote 0
Trust me, a 70-200 f2.8 attracts attention even if it is black. I have people turning and staring before bringing their own camera up and taking a photo of me. One of those lenses looks pretty massive to the average person no matter what, especially if you have the massive lens hood on (which I do because it is a sigma and flare isn't one of its strong points).

This have been my experience in London which after all is swarming with tourists at any given point in time so one would have thought people would be used to it. Even staff at the zoo were commenting on it

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.