Does a firmware update require len/camera to be AF microadjusted again

I have been doing AF microadjusting with both my Canon 5D Mark IV and 1DX II for quite some time. I even share an article with my clients about it. One client asked me today if upgrading the Firmware requires AF microadjusting again. I suspect it does, but not completely sure. Can any of you shed some light or experience on AF microadjusting and firmware upgrades? Thanks a bunch. I did not find much on the web so far, so if you have a link, please share it.

Here is my article on how I do it and my sharpness has been the best ever. These calliope hummers were done with a Canon 1DX Mark II and a Canon 600mm III with 1.4x.

https://www.gerlachnaturephoto.com/single-post/2018/05/16/AF-Microadjust-for-Sharper-Images

Attachments

• web c alliope_A9I2910.JPG
    web c alliope_A9I2910.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 135
  • web calliope_A9I3196.JPG
    web calliope_A9I3196.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 126
  • web male calliope_A9I2733.JPG
    web male calliope_A9I2733.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 119

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A firmware update should not affect AFMA values, but you should keep your values written down on a piece of paper in case of an emergency...:D
I personally prefer buying a fully functioning camera over a beta version. It is a camera not a scratchcard...
That is far too cryptic for me to understand.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You're confused? Heck, I had to Google scratchcard! And...I still don't understand the point.
The point is: I don't prefer fancy new features via firmware updates because I'm a bit old-fashioned and those cameras don't seem to be ready to me at least... I want to know what I pay for. If a camera doesn't fit my needs and/or budget then I look for something else. And not expect its flaws to be fixed in the future...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The point is: I don't prefer fancy new features via firmware updates because I'm a bit old-fashioned and those cameras don't seem to be ready to me at least... I want to know what I pay for. If a camera doesn't fit my needs and/or budget then I look for something else. And not expect its flaws to be fixed in the future...
You are certainly not old-fashioned in your use of modern idiom! Firmware upgrades do not necessarily get issued to fix flaws but they can also add new features, such as those mentioned by Neuro for the 7D and 1DXII, and the regular updates by Olympus. Sony, on the other hand, does seem to use its customers as beta testers, and some Nikon users also complain.

Upvote 0
You are certainly not old-fashioned in your use of modern idiom! Firmware upgrades do not necessarily get issued to fix flaws but they can also add new features, such as those mentioned by Neuro for the 7D and 1DXII, and the regular updates by Olympus. Sony, on the other hand, does seem to use its customers as beta testers, and some Nikon users also complain.
Thanks! Beta testing for free is bad....:D

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thanks! Beta testing for free is bad....:D
Just one more reason why you should never be an early adopter.

1DxII had the CF Card image static/noise issue with one brand of card -- unfortunately it was the brand they were including with the camera.

The R needed silent shutter and autofocus fixes with firmware. (Yeah, it depends on your perspective. Some would say they added features. Others would say those features should have been included in the first place.)

I'm fairly forgiving of many firmware fixes as it's got to be near impossible to identify every conceivable issue before releasing a product. In my view it's just the price you pay for being the first kid on the block with the new toy. Wait six to 12 months and let the price drop and others discover the bugs.

Upvote 0