Does anyone still love their old gear?

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
yungfat said:
aceflibble said:
I don't use it anymore because it's simply impractical for work (work demands a minimum of 20mp files), but the 1Dsmk2 is my favourite 35mm format camera in terms of the feel in the hand, the feel of the shutter button, and the sound of the shutter, and I sorely wish I could get that same 'shell' with a newer sensor & processor. (Er, and a newer screen, too.) It may be collecting dust due to not meeting modern requirements, but if Canon released all of their cameras in a limited edition which simply had the 1Ds2's outer case and shutter, I would gladly pay double for them. Love that thing.

The other Canon I'd give a nod to is the 5D2. It was the standard workhorse for years and other things being better now doesn't stop it from still being a really solid, workhorse camera today. It's not my main camera, but it's still my #3 backup body, and with current prices around the £550-600 mark—the same as a new SL2—I've started pushing new photographers toward buying a used 5D2 over any APS-C body, at least for stills.

Other than that, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of Canon FD gear, some of the early 90s EF lenses are still fantastic (the 100mm is the most underrated Canon lens), and my 'old' Mamiya RZ67 Pro II is still my main backup camera. (Adapted to a digital back, it takes the #2 spot behind the Phase.)

Hi aceflibber, need your advise here.

I’m currently owned a 6D. Was thinking to grab a used 5D Mark II since I will be travel to Japan in March. The reason is mainly because I found the current 6D AF point are all cramped on the Center, and limited my composition while using larger aperture when shooting. Let the AF point sensitivity one side, is 5D Mark II AF point spread further than 6D?

Also considering for 1D Mark IV, and just want to try out whether old Canon still practical for today.

I will mainly shoot street photography during vacation and maybe some landscape.

Don’t really like today’s camera as it’s too complicated to operate for my use.

Thank you.

The total "spread" of the size of the AF pattern in the 6D is almost identical to the size of the spread of the 5D's pattern. But the 6D can AF in a lot less light (-3EV) than the 5D Mark II (-0.5EV). The 6D is almost a better camera all around. The only things the 6D gives up to the 5D Mark II are flash sync speed ( 1/180 vs, 1/200, less than 1/6 stop) and minimum shutter time (1/4000 vs. 1/8000, one full stop).

Upvote 0
Michael Clark said:
yungfat said:
aceflibble said:
I don't use it anymore because it's simply impractical for work (work demands a minimum of 20mp files), but the 1Dsmk2 is my favourite 35mm format camera in terms of the feel in the hand, the feel of the shutter button, and the sound of the shutter, and I sorely wish I could get that same 'shell' with a newer sensor & processor. (Er, and a newer screen, too.) It may be collecting dust due to not meeting modern requirements, but if Canon released all of their cameras in a limited edition which simply had the 1Ds2's outer case and shutter, I would gladly pay double for them. Love that thing.

The other Canon I'd give a nod to is the 5D2. It was the standard workhorse for years and other things being better now doesn't stop it from still being a really solid, workhorse camera today. It's not my main camera, but it's still my #3 backup body, and with current prices around the £550-600 mark—the same as a new SL2—I've started pushing new photographers toward buying a used 5D2 over any APS-C body, at least for stills.

Other than that, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of Canon FD gear, some of the early 90s EF lenses are still fantastic (the 100mm is the most underrated Canon lens), and my 'old' Mamiya RZ67 Pro II is still my main backup camera. (Adapted to a digital back, it takes the #2 spot behind the Phase.)

Hi aceflibber, need your advise here.

I’m currently owned a 6D. Was thinking to grab a used 5D Mark II since I will be travel to Japan in March. The reason is mainly because I found the current 6D AF point are all cramped on the Center, and limited my composition while using larger aperture when shooting. Let the AF point sensitivity one side, is 5D Mark II AF point spread further than 6D?

Also considering for 1D Mark IV, and just want to try out whether old Canon still practical for today.

I will mainly shoot street photography during vacation and maybe some landscape.

Don’t really like today’s camera as it’s too complicated to operate for my use.

Thank you.

The total "spread" of the size of the AF pattern in the 6D is almost identical to the size of the spread of the 5D's pattern. But the 6D can AF in a lot less light (-3EV) than the 5D Mark II (-0.5EV). The 6D is almost a better camera all around. The only things the 6D gives up to the 5D Mark II are flash sync speed ( 1/180 vs, 1/200, less than 1/6 stop) and minimum shutter time (1/4000 vs. 1/8000, one full stop).

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2012
I've kept every single one of mine, starting with a EOS 500D, then upgrading to two 60Ds (bought the second one when the first one was in the service center for some repairs) before buying a 6D Mark II 7 years later.

The 500D works great for close ups and food photography, but for other stuff...nah.

The 60Ds are still solid workhorses and are still pretty good IQ-wise, and I wouldn't hesitate to take them out.

The 6D Mark II is now my primary body and I'm happy with it, despite what everyone says about its lack of DR.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
I would if I had any old gear to love. Usually when I get something new, I find somebody who loves photography and I give them my old gear. I mean, I've never really had anything too high end, but the t2i was a great starter camera and the t3i made it an even better camera as it near completely removed the banding issues. My first 7D landed in the hands of a kid who was killing it using a t1i.
A small part of me regrets giving away most of my old bodies as my more recent camera developed an unrepairable issue out of warranty. So now I'm back to a t3i on loan.

My friend just got the D850, but he still uses/ loves his D800 and his D300 like the day they were new. The D800 as the backup and the D300 for time lapse photography.

Upvote 0
Jun 13, 2012
ashmadux said:
I will always love the beautiful renderign and clarity from the old T2i sensor. It's just a beautiful thing.

Or the sharpness of my Xsi.

What i dont miss/love:

• 6D terrible focus system
  • 6D not sharp sensor

I agree that the 6D Mark I's focus system is terrible, but if one knows how to focus and recompose, it's actually quite a good camera. I don't see how it's not sharp, it's probably just your lens or the focus system hampering you.

The food picture here's was shot by my sister on her 6D Mark I, which is decently sharp (on the areas where it's focused)

For comparison purposes, I've attached a green beetle shot by myself on my 6D Mark II.

The T2i/550D shared pretty much the same sensor with the 60D and 7D, along with the 600D, 650D, 700D, 1200Dm, 1300D and 100D, except that the 60D and 7D used a different low-pass filter compared to the Rebels (apparently for better color reproduction, from what I've read somewhere).

The butterfly here was shot on my 60D (which was my primary body from 2010 to 2017) and even today, I still use it from time to time. It was a damn good sensor, even though it's dated by today's standards, but it still shoots very well.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    726.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6202.JPG
    IMG_6202.JPG
    619.9 KB · Views: 161
  • _MG_0587LQ.JPG
    _MG_0587LQ.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0
New here but I would have to say that I love what I was able to do with my 1D IV when I bought it because it was the best sports camera available at the time. While it's still a good choice for me when I'm shooting wildlife with good light (the 1.3 crop factor helps), I usually prefer my 5D IV simply because the the sharpness factor & it has a better focusing system than the 1D IV. Even though I give up 3 FPS, I get more usable, sharp shots.

Upvote 0
My 5D mark II still does everything I need it to. The mark III and S R aren't enough of an overall improvement for me to feel the money is worth spending. If/when the mark II breaks I'll probably get a mark IV, but I'd really like it to last until the mark V is out and upgrade to that. I want the sensor of the 5DS R but with the speed of the 5D mark IV. That will be enough to get me to pay up for the upgrade. Until then, the mark II is fine for work and still overkill for personal shooting.

Upvote 0
I still love my Nikkor 50mm F2. It's a great portrait lens. It's just a little too sharp at @F2.8 upwards. You can even get moire in the eyes.

This 100% crop was taken at F2.8 or F4 on a Canon 650D. I opened the raw file in photoshop and used the standard settings. I can't wait to test it on a higher resolution sensor.

Attachments

• eye.png
    eye.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 557
Upvote 0
slclick said:
Ok, calling the 5D2 and 6D old..... where's that rolling eyes emoji

Old is flash cubes, 120 film, 110 film, pinhole cameras, lol
The 5D mark II will be 10 years old this year. Even in film SLR terms, that's pretty old. The Canon A cameras were made obsolete in less than that.

Funnily enough my film camera is newer.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
benique said:
I still love my Nikkor 50mm F2. It's a great portrait lens. It's just a little too sharp at @F2.8 upwards. You can even get moire in the eyes.

This 100% crop was taken at F2.8 or F4 on a Canon 650D. I opened the raw file in photoshop and used the standard settings. I can't wait to test it on a higher resolution sensor.

+1 on the Nikkor f/2. It was a 'budget' lens in its day, but incredibly sharp when stopped down. In fact the sharpest 35mm film images I ever shot were with this lens. I remember being miffed when I bought the much more expensive 50/1.4 and found it wasn't as sharp in the f/4 to 8 region. It's soft wide open yet does produce interesting images. We often hear of the Helios 44-4, Takumar 55/1.8 etc, but this one crisper in many ways. The attached shot was taken with the Nikkor f/2 at f/2 on a Canon 5DII.

Attachments

• _MG_4235-1B&W.jpg
    _MG_4235-1B&W.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 0