Does your wife or significant other understand how much effort is required?

May 31, 2011
I think this conversation harkens back to the, "Your camera takes great photos." debate. No, it isn't the camera, it is the understanding of lighting, depth of field, perspective, etc. That isn't what I'm addressing, because I can understand perfect strangers not realizing what it takes to makes something of worth.

But what about the Mrs... or Mr... I know some just look at the final product and they are happy with the results, but do they acknowledge that the shot took a few hours of planning, then a practice shot here... Some post production there?

I volunteered to do some studio shots of my daughter and her softball teammates & I asked for roughly 3 hours to go through 11 girls which involved backdrop changes, 2 lenses changes, four lighting changes, etc... And she opined that 3 hours on a Friday was too much.

From a practical standpoint, that is only 16 minutes per girl... So it REALLY doesn't seem like a ton of time. Especially since I'm not the tilt your head and smile kinda photog.

So am I over reacting, which I'm prone to do. Or is it a systemic ignorance that most significant others simply aren't cognizant of what is involved...

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2014
jdramirez said:
I think this conversation harkens back to the, "Your camera takes great photos." debate. No, it isn't the camera, it is the understanding of lighting, depth of field, perspective, etc. That isn't what I'm addressing, because I can understand perfect strangers not realizing what it takes to makes something of worth.

But what about the Mrs... or Mr... I know some just look at the final product and they are happy with the results, but do they acknowledge that the shot took a few hours of planning, then a practice shot here... Some post production there?

I volunteered to do some studio shots of my daughter and her softball teammates & I asked for roughly 3 hours to go through 11 girls which involved backdrop changes, 2 lenses changes, four lighting changes, etc... And she opined that 3 hours on a Friday was too much.

From a practical standpoint, that is only 16 minutes per girl... So it REALLY doesn't seem like a ton of time. Especially since I'm not the tilt your head and smile kinda photog.

So am I over reacting, which I'm prone to do. Or is it a systemic ignorance that most significant others simply aren't cognizant of what is involved...

3 hours is about right unless its just a team shot. 11 girls they need to get relaxed retakes flash failures etc. prepare for the worst and hope for the best unless its just snapshots ;) hope you got a helper. don't forget they are young ladies and need to look cute and that also takes time.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
beforeEos Camaras said:
3 hours is about right unless its just a team shot. 11 girls they need to get relaxed retakes flash failures etc. prepare for the worst and hope for the best unless its just snapshots ;) hope you got a helper. don't forget they are young ladies and need to look cute and that also takes time.

I'm charging all of my batteries. As it turns out... there are a few who probably can't make it, so if 8 or so show up... then I probably have more than enough time. I wrote out my plan... settings... location, height of flash... so I think I can make quick transitions.

The wife was saying the girls could go and play outside between shots... and I'm thinking... yeah, if they want their hair disheveled and their uniform dirty. I think she is treating it more like a social gathering... and that's fine... but for me... it really isn't.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
jwilbern said:
My wife is a professional photographer who once used 7 rolls of film to get one flower photograph, which turned out to be one of her best sellers. However, people are not as patient as flowers.
It could be worse.... she might be into landscape photography and have an 8x10 and wooden tripod for you to carry a couple of kilometers along a trail to the top of a hill....

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
JClark said:
As some others have said, I think the general public doesn't understand the skill that goes into any craft, because for most people "good enough" is good enough. And the thing is, that last 5-10% - going from "good enough" to "great" - takes as long as going from utter crap to "good enough." :)

I think many people think they are in the next level... well before they are at the next level. The problem I see... is once you are "great"... then having to constantly produce "great". You can't have an off night...

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
jdramirez said:

In this day of instant everything, especially at that age, it could just be ADD...

I shoot the portraits for a small high school's yearbooks every year, and set up my portable studio in a room they provide. Once I'm ready to go (takes about an hour to set up and test), a staff coordinator sends in the subjects one at a time. That way, they're not all standing around waiting their turns. Perhaps your assistant (your wife?) could organize a way to keep them busy / occupied (but still stay neat and tidy) until it's time for each individual's shoot? (It really helps to have an assistant!)

I drive the camera in my studio setup from a laptop running EOS Utility. So once each subject is seated and the camera / tripod is adjusted as needed (height), I'm sitting at a table behind the tripod, running the camera from the app. I also have a 24" external display on the table, attached to the laptop and facing the subject. That way, they can review each shot nearly instantly (i.e., after the couple of seconds it takes to download), simultaneously with me. Seems to make the shoot go a lot faster, and each subject leaves the studio knowing I've captured at least one image they'll be happy with in the yearbook. (They get to pick their favorite later, from the proofs I provide to the coordinator.)

Upvote 0

Tabor Warren Photography

I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
Feb 2, 2012
Tulsa, OK
www.photosbytabor.com
I am certainly not the tilt-and-smile photographer either, but I would consider 90 minutes to be about right. I would get the lighting as perfect as possible, set up the first gal, run through the trial shots, and the rest should be *about* the same.

Also, my wife did not get it until she started shooting with me, she then was the first to leave her career as a CPA to do photography full time. Six months later, I left Vet Med to do the same. Maybe if she could shoot with you often, she would be bitten by the photo-bug.

Best of luck!
-Tabor

Upvote 0