Don’t trust your R in the rain :o|

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thanks for all the helpful tips and tricks!

The camera was left in pretty warm room in a sealed bag with rice overnight for 12 hours since it wasn’t really wet wet. It works just fine now and had cleared all up before I went to bed, but left it in there overnight.

I’m very happy it works of course, but I still can’t really believe that small amount of weather nearly took it out.. we have a lot of weather here and I’ve always found it exciting to shoot in the rain and snow, but with the R I can’t, the snow should be fine, but in the words of Blind Melon, no rain.

Yes, the lens was attached and it was absolutely no issue and none of the lids or battery and SD door or mount had any moisture. It was just the EVF.
Sorry about that, my friend. I hope it all works out. I love my R, but after building my lens stable I will probably use it as a backup to a higher level model. I am adverse, personally, to going out in the rain so this probably won't happen to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Yikes. A bit disappointing to hear to be honest. But, glad you were able to get it up and running again.

I typically only shoot in good weather - but once late last year I decided to heck with it, I'll take one of my 5D4s out to shoot an event that was happening on a day with light to moderate rain. I was a bit nervous but I wrapped the camera and lens...kept most water out of it but the back of the camera still got quite wet. Luckily the sealing held up and after drying, camera continues to work without any issues.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for all the helpful tips and tricks!

The camera was left in pretty warm room in a sealed bag with rice overnight for 12 hours since it wasn’t really wet wet. It works just fine now and had cleared all up before I went to bed, but left it in there overnight.

I’m very happy it works of course, but I still can’t really believe that small amount of weather nearly took it out.. we have a lot of weather here and I’ve always found it exciting to shoot in the rain and snow, but with the R I can’t, the snow should be fine, but in the words of Blind Melon, no rain.

Yes, the lens was attached and it was absolutely no issue and none of the lids or battery and SD door or mount had any moisture. It was just the EVF.
I am paranoid about these things, having spent too long in my chemistry youth with vacuum desiccators and silica gel, and would have left it longer. It wouldn't do any harm to leave it with rice again.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
New product idea: tiny ubmrella with hot shoe mount. Godox will clone it and add an RT transmitter :)
I had that idea yeeeaaars ago:LOL: my idea was to have a tilt mount so when carrying with my BlackRapid it could still cover.

I also had an idea that the top of my Lowepro backpack could have an umbrella sticking out on top. Inspector Gadget style .

But then I bought a 1-series instead.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
My guess would be the actual VF glass as that was facing up. Could also be the top of the body. But your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks--again! Clearly, I'm not able to completely let go of my fascination with the 50mm lens that is compelling me to just get the R. :p

And so glad to hear yours is good to go, ready for more action.

Upvote 0
Where do you think the water droplets got into the viewfinder? Through the hot shoe?
Last weekend I had EOS-R in rain for a short time (about 20-30min) but hot-shoe was covered by a piece of rubberized cover (got from Amazon about $5 for 5 pieces). Fortunately there was no leak into the camera. Perhaps $5 was the life saver investment! But I will be more careful with rain from now on.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Hi guys!

I’m a sad panda now...

Was out in a light drizzle today. I had my arm covering the camera most of the time and wiping it off. I know it’s nowhere near the level of weather sealing the 1dx2 has, but it was such a light rain I figured it would be a non issue , it wasn’t ... Drying it off in rice now, after drying it a bit with a hairdryer hopefully it’s not a write off, but I’m not that hopeful...

*edit* read that it should be in a sealed plastic bag, so did that after these shots.
Hoping you will give us a positive follow up later and hear that it's now up and running, creating stunning Viggo photos, once again.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I have shot a lot in heavy rain (Live in Vancouver BC area) using both the R and the RP and have not had any issues. That said I am more cautious with the RP then I am with the R and both never really get rained on for extended time as I use an umbrella when it really down pours.

Silly side note I was standing in a field on Saturday night holding my remote attached to the R trying to capture lightning (we get lots of rain but lightning is rare). When I looked around and realized I was the tallest thing in the field and I was holding a metal umbrella. I decided to pack up right after that:)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I have shot a lot in heavy rain (Live in Vancouver BC area) using both the R and the RP and have not had any issues. That said I am more cautious with the RP then I am with the R and both never really get rained on for extended time as I use an umbrella when it really down pours.

Silly side note I was standing in a field on Saturday night holding my remote attached to the R trying to capture lightning (we get lots of rain but lightning is rare). When I looked around and realized I was the tallest thing in the field and I was holding a metal umbrella. I decided to pack up right after that:)
Haha, I’ve done that also, my 1d4 and I with a tripod and umbrella and the top of an arched bridge :ROFLMAO: remember I called it a day when all the lights on the bridge and the traffic lights went out. As I walked down water flowed 10cm high and drowned my shoes.

Upvote 0