DPP and Lens optimizer issue

Had an odd experience today with DPP and my 6D, which just came back from an authorized repair dealer to tune the AF: I downloaded the images I shot today into (copy and pasted from card) into a folder) opened them up in DPP and went to use the Lens Optimizer -- but DPP won't show any lens information. Instead, it says "Lens data not available." . When I click on the button for Add/Remove Lens Data" it shows all of my lenses checked off BUT it won't run the Optimizer. In fact, I can't check off ANYthing in the Lens category (difraction correction, chromatic aberation, peripheral illumination, distortion).
For any other pictures in my folders DPP and the 6D works fine.
Repair couldn't have damaged something, could it?

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jay.
I know it is a huge P.I.T.A. but have you tried resetting the camera, it might be that it is not completely out of some sort of workshop mode?
Did you use more than one lens during the day? If it was just one lens it could be a purely coincidental issue with that lens!
Have you tried a different lens?
Just a few quick thoughts.
Contact the service centre and explain the issue, they may know exactly what they forgot to close down and how to sort you out over the phone!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jay.
Yes by reset I meant clear all settings, this does not undo firmware updates, and some custom functions will not be cleared either.
Just a thought, try a demo version of something like DxO (just because I use it and like it) and see if the lens correction works, at the very least you should be able to process the shots that DPP is not working on.
When I look at photo’s I upload to Flickr, I see lots of fields that contain plain text and lots with hex codes in them, perhaps one of these is where DPP gets its correction info?

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Hi Jay,
I have the same problem with my 70-200 + x2.
I can see in the EXIF the lens used, but no optimization in DPP.
In fact, the lens data has to loaded in the body (using lens registration tool and body connected to the PC by USB).
When I has a look, there was all my lenses but not the combo 70-200 + 2x...
I added it in my body and now, I can optimize in DPP.
May be, during the AF adjustment, they have removed all the stored lens in your 6D...

Upvote 0
I thought maybe if I downloaded the images direct to PC from the camera it would solve the problem. Nope.
So, EOS Utility has an option to register lenses. I have done that so far through DPP. Just updated it and re-registered lenses. Nope. Shot a new image and tried it after updating lesnes through EOS Utility. Nope. Going now back to repair centre.
Yes, I'm using the latest version of DPP.

Upvote 0
So...the repair centre said 'It couldn't be us." I called Canon Canada, who said 6Ds should only be serviced by it, not even by an authorized repair store. And they were baffled by the problem. So I have to take to Canon. Fortunately I'll be passing by there on Wednesday on the way to an airshow in Brantford (yeah, a mid-week air show. But a Lancaster, a B-25 and a Vampire are flying. Speaking of a Vampire, I knew a lawyer in the 1980s who used one as his commuter plane when he needed to fly to trials from Edmonton to Calgary).

Upvote 0
And the correct answer is ..... the repair centre had changed the camera setting to JPG, so of course I couldn't use DLO. It only works in RAW I didn't notice when I started shooting after picking the camera up. There was nothing wrong with the camera, or DPP
LESSON: After sending a camera in for repair make sure they haven't changed your personal settings.

Upvote 0