DPReview: Canon EOS R first impressions with Chris and Rishi

Jan 29, 2011
But why? Beside the EVF, the great thing is that mirrorless could be smaller. They even did make a new mount. And then the lenses are so big.... Come on Canon!
View attachment 180189

For the reason Canon state, the opportunity to make better glass. The R/RF line is about uncompromising glass, not size, the M line is about size. The RF 50 f1.2 is supposed to be markedly better in the IQ department than the EF version.

Personally I'm not interested in either of the above, my interest lies in the 'pro' R model and using the 11-24 on it with the filter adapter for video and the 35 f1.8 for walk around. The R is looking like a vloggers dream, if the 'pro' version has more frame rate options and more MP I'll be getting one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Funny, I was doing some video of classic cars and the shiny grills displayed kind of weird, which I assume would be even worse without the filter (I'm new to video). Likewise I've shot Cedar waxwings and strange patterns seem to appear in their feathers, again, I believe this would be worse with no AA filter. So, maybe it's not as one sided as it seems. I don't have any objection to the crop factor on my 1Dx2.

Jack

--

This shimmering you see on the grills is technically a form of Moire where high contrast edges at non-vertical and non-horizontal orientations cannot be rendered properly. This is actually more to do with the final display monitor and the human vision system than the camera sensor. The means you need WIDER dynamic range into 16-bits per channel HRD OLED territory to properly prevent the "fast rise times" of high contrast edges when you put that video through a waveform monitor for quality control purposes. There has to be more in-between pixels of a medium intensity which ensures a "Slower Luminance Signal Rise Time". Electronics can EASILY RESOLVE immediate differences between high contrast pixel values BUT the human vision system CANNOT, so the brain tries to compensate but will resolve into that weird shimmering moire effect.

The only way to REALLY fix the issue is lower the contrast ratio or get a wider dynamic range sensor and video display monitor at 16 bits per colour channel (aka RGB 48 bits per pixel).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
===

The BEST PART of this announcement is a .F.A.S.T.. F1.2 L-series lens which pretty much breaks the internet WIDE OPEN! The new Canon Mirrorless R-mount camera is GOOD but NOWHERE NEAR TRULY GREAT.....HOWEVER.....a 50mm F1.2 L-series ULM lens IS A TRULY GREAT ANNOUNCEMENT from the get go!

The camera is worth getting JUST FOR THAT LENS ALONE!!!! If any of you buy ANYTHING ELSE with this camera BUY THAT LENS !!!!! ANY camera is only as great as the photographer's skill and the lens he/she puts on it. Save your pennies for that F 1.2 lens!

HOLY CATSHIT BATMAN!!!!!

I agree with Harry!

Surely this is a sign of the coming apocalypse and Canon is doomed!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
But why? Beside the EVF, the great thing is that mirrorless could be smaller. They even did make a new mount. And then the lenses are so big.... Come on Canon!

Quite frankly, If I want a small camera SYSTEM, I'm going with an M or a 4/3..... What good is a smaller camera that really isn't smaller?DB1D07A8-0C89-4B08-B6B4-3EEFD09A29A7.jpeg

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
Too bad Canon still operates as if it doesnt have competition outside of itself. It's the end of 2018 and we still have cropped 4k, no 4k 60p, and no 1080p 120fps on a 3/4 year old sensor with an AA filter. Do we have to wait until 2022 for something better when by then I am sure technology will be miles ahead from every other brand and even in phones.
Why blame Canon for this? If the other brands are so great, why aren't they eating Canon's market-share (and lunch)? Instead of criticizing Canon for being complacent, you should criticize the other companies for failing produce products that take market-share. :confused:

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
MAN!! I'm so bumbed about this camera and I'm usually positive when everyone is negative about a camera release. :p
But the only 3 things I want Canon didn't do in this camera and EVERYONE else is.
IBIS - WHY Canon!?
Because it's less effective the longer the FL, and they have IS glass that does it better. Adding IBIS might help a bit, but is it worth the cost? To you, certainly, but to others? Probably not.

Upvote 0
Let's not give DPR and Rishi more attention, they are a thinly veiled anti-Canon review site who overemphasize Sony strengths (his obsession with dynamic range is just one example) while glossing over their weaknesses. Funny in this video it is Chris who mentions that Canon R will focus wide open stopped down, a critical Sony weakness never mentioned in Rishi's Sony reviews. Canon makes cameras for usability first and foremost. That means emphasis on auto-focus speed and accuracy, ergonomics, UI and menus, responsive and fully articulating touchscreen, closing the sensor when changing lenses, etc. Things that are not exciting for review sites, but important for real world use.
This. Sony and Nikon Z are going to focus stopped down. Think about if it is other way round. There will be big section talking about some focusing concepts and all.

Upvote 0
Canon have always stabilised glass. Why would they change that when it makes their lenses best in class?

Ah, where's the stabilisation for my 24-70/2.8 II we've got next to the 5DIV?

Next to no-one needs it. Plus cinema range protection.

Who apart from Canon cares about any protection. If you don't need it, stop suggesting others the same. If ppl want 120 fps nowadays, just give it to them.

Sounds like you should buy a Sony.
Bet you don’t though.

Sounds like you should think twice before posting a hilarious stuff....

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Who apart from Canon cares about any protection. If you don't need it, stop suggesting others the same.

Canon care about protecting their cinema line. My entire suggestion here isn't that that's good or bad, but that you should expect it, and complaining about it is pointless when it's been proven time and again, and that there are cameras from other companies that will offer what you want. Coming here to moan that Canon aren't making the perfect camera (for you) when they have a well established history of making the logical camera for them seems like an exercise in futility.

The bottom line is that there's now a healthy, competitive marketplace in mirrorless, and that's excellent for the consumer. I think, 24 hours removed the Canon position of a mid-range accessible body is a smart one, and while it's not perfect, a good entryway to FF Mirrorless for those that didn't jump yet, and a sign of very exciting things to come. I'm happy enough with that. Seems a lot of people aren't.

Upvote 0
I certainly don't know this business you describe, but from what little I do know and what I have read neither the Nikon nor Canon releases would be optimal for shooting weddings. Are you talking video only or stills and video? Most reviewers have indicated the Nikon's focusing was not optimal. That would concern me for a paid wedding shoot. But that is me.

I hear you but I have never really had much trouble with focusing since the 5D1 on. Most of my weddings (bluecoralphotography com) I'm still shooting EOS1V film cameras anyhow so anything newer is amazing for me haha! I use my 5D3's for low light.
But yes I'm mostly thinking video with these new cameras and commercial work (overoceanmedia com).

Upvote 0
I would assume that as the 24-70 2.0 and the 50mm 1.2 are both unstabilized, that a stabilized body is coming. When however, remains to be seen. It certainly won't be in the next six months, given the hype around this launch. They'll want to let the R breathe for a bit.

Yes I think your right. I think another body will be coming out so I will have to wait. I would love it if its a low MP body around 24mp (eat less HD space) and nice low light camera. Guess we can only wait and see.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2016
Quite frankly, If I want a small camera SYSTEM, I'm going with an M or a 4/3..... What good is a smaller camera that really isn't smaller?View attachment 180192

Well I agree. I have my Fuji's and love them for their size and great sharp compact primes. So that is fine. But I really like the files and the handling on my Canon 6D. Actually their is something magic with the raw files on the old 6D.... But I often just let the Canon stay at home, because of the weight and size. So really hoped for a new Canon mirrorless that was smaller - and especially with the new mount and new range to the sensor - small and compact lenses.
I mainly do street and reportage style photography. So it would have been so nice. I will now instead wait and hope for a Fujifilm x-pro3. The new sensor on the X-T3 looks promising. And their new autofocus seems to be much better than on the x-pro2.

Upvote 0
For all those people who say they won't be buying the R because it doesn't have 4 card slots (at least 1 of each type of card) or some bird called an ibis, there will be many thousands of others that WILL happily buy it for the fabulous photos it takes because the colours are so good, and focussing is so fast and accurate and because it never overheats and the lenses are just so good.
Together with some new and innovative controls, many tens of thousands of people will just love to own it.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Why blame Canon for this? If the other brands are so great, why aren't they eating Canon's market-share (and lunch)? Instead of criticizing Canon for being complacent, you should criticize the other companies for failing produce products that take market-share. :confused:
When I look at the world. I see humans as flawed and need guidance. Do you believe an imperfect population can make all the perfect choices. Brand name, marketing, and loyalty go a long way. Canon does a great job and makes good products but they could be doing way more we all know this.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
When I look at the world. I see humans as flawed and need guidance. Do you believe an imperfect population can make all the perfect choices. Brand name, marketing, and loyalty go a long way. Canon does a great job and makes good products but they could be doing way more we all know this.

So its the old argument that 'if people knew what I knew they would see I am right'. The poor deluded people unable to make up their own minds as to what they think is important in a camera.

Question: how do you know you are not one of the 'flawed people who need guidance'? ;)

Upvote 0