Dragonflies and Damselflies

I don't think it would have been possible without stacking... (y)
W.
Possibly with a camera with very very small sensor, definitely not with a FF sensor :p Aperture below f/20 will bring about diffraction, I wish that Einstein would have solved the wave-particle duality in another way :cautious:
Zerene automatically aligns all pictures in the stack; X, Y, rotation and size is adjusted for perfect fit. BUT if the camera shifts position sideways or vertically, there will be changes in the perspective that the stacking software cannot solve. Not to mention any motion blur ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Possibly with a camera with very very small sensor, definitely not with a FF sensor :p Aperture below f/20 will bring about diffraction, I wish that Einstein would have solved the wave-particle duality in another way :cautious:
Zerene automatically aligns all pictures in the stack; X, Y, rotation and size is adjusted for perfect fit. BUT if the camera shifts position sideways or vertically, there will be changes in the perspective that the stacking software cannot solve. Not to mention any motion blur ;)
You are stacking the odds in your favour!

Upvote 0
Found a dragonfly in Kuwait this morning - how on earth it survived the birds, who only knows! Erik or anyone identify it?
Nice pictures!
Oh.. my reference only covers the local species.. :)Sympetrum striolatum has similar colors http://www.trollslandeforeningen.se/storre-angstrollslanda/
Or more likely a Sympetrum Meridionale? http://www.dragonflypix.com/speciespages/sympetrum_meridionale_sc.html check picture "2 / 20; PhotoID: Dr017"

While searching, I stumbled upon a scientific report which investigates why certain Sympetrum species are attracted by black polished gravestones!!
https://arago.elte.hu/sites/default/files/DragonflyGravestonePol_FWB_0.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Birds have become so scarce this time of year and the heat keeps them hidden in the thick foliage, so what does a bird photographer do? Well, I have suddenly become hooked on dragonflies and damselflies. Portraits can be fun and you can sneak up on them easily. And it's perfect for the opportunistic photographer with lightweight gear, and you don't need very long telephotos. Dragonflies in flight are something different - they can be really difficult to track and focus on. I thought I could never capture them but the 100-400mm II on a 5DIV or 5DSR has proven to be brilliant. So, I am starting a new thread just devoted to dragonflies and damselflies. I'll start with a couple of Banded Demoiselles in flight. They are tiny and fly very erratically. I must admit I didn't even know their name or that they even existed a week ago. But, I am now addicted.View attachment 179469View attachment 179470
Birds have become so scarce this time of year and the heat keeps them hidden in the thick foliage, so what does a bird photographer do? Well, I have suddenly become hooked on dragonflies and damselflies. Portraits can be fun and you can sneak up on them easily. And it's perfect for the opportunistic photographer with lightweight gear, and you don't need very long telephotos. Dragonflies in flight are something different - they can be really difficult to track and focus on. I thought I could never capture them but the 100-400mm II on a 5DIV or 5DSR has proven to be brilliant. So, I am starting a new thread just devoted to dragonflies and damselflies. I'll start with a couple of Banded Demoiselles in flight. They are tiny and fly very erratically. I must admit I didn't even know their name or that they even existed a week ago. But, I am now addicted.View attachment 179469View attachment 179470
Hi AlanF,
Amazing pics! How much time to spend to capture these two perfect shots?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder if you could use Zerene for improving S/N? Take a rapid burst of 10 shots without changing focus, stack and the S/N should be 3x better without any change of DoF.

Upvote 0
I wonder if you could use Zerene for improving S/N? Take a rapid burst of 10 shots without changing focus, stack and the S/N should be 3x better without any change of DoF.
I doubt it. Zerene does not "mix" pixel data from different pictures in the stack (if it did it would reduce noise). It selects the sharpest picture for each spot and copies pixel by pixel from that picture..
But if you do manual retuch with the "pro" brushes available in the more expensive version, there will be a gradual smoothing at least around the edges of the tool. Might be worth experimenting with.. And there are features that I have never tried. I just found some interesting settings under preferences :p

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shot, Erik.
0057.gif

Upvote 0
A happy dragonfly.. it is actually the same individiual as the one with ferocious look on previous page. :p
I think it is a female Yellow-wing Darter Sympetrum flaveolum
[...]
Very nice shot Erik, ... she's starting to show her age; her front pair of wings tattered at the ends...
Funny how many dragonfly variants seemingly have pupils and eyelids - where it's actually all facets; also clearly visible in your shot :unsure::)
W.

Upvote 0