Dec 31, 2018
And flailing wildly his arm .Wow wow what is that thingie what follows me :p
Ill make full images when feeling i got good :p changed it to full image

Last edited:

Nat_WA

EOS 7D mk.II
Aug 15, 2017
Netherlands
Black-tailed skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum) - stumbled across it when looking for a Bluethroat (bird - for those only aware of dragon-/damselflies ;))

Due to terrain (and lens I was carrying) I could only approach it from side or top...

7DmkII, S 60-600mm at 400mm and 350mm respectively, f/7.1
W.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Can't say I ever looked for this thread but there sure are impressive photos here. Some, certainly exceed the beauty of what we have here in Alberta.

Jack

AlanF

Everyone sits in the prison of his own ideas. A E
Aug 16, 2012
Can't say I ever looked for this thread but there sure are impressive photos here. Some, certainly exceed the beauty of what we have here in Alberta.

Jack
You should join in Jack. I didn't appreciate the beauty and onterest of these insects until I started photographing them last year as it helps to see these larger than life -size images.

Pape

EOS RP
Dec 31, 2018
I am sure they suprice you jack. i am sure there are all kinds of fancy species on alberta too . I seen tens different kind of them even i am 64 degree north.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
You should join in Jack. I didn't appreciate the beauty and onterest of these insects until I started photographing them last year as it helps to see these larger than life -size images.
Thanks Alan, I agree and in fact have taken a fair number of shot of these guys and who knows, with my fading memory, I may even have posted something in this thread. Here's one that in my circle didn't garner much praise, but I liked it. I found that at certain times, especially when they were sexually active, they were easier to shoot in flight but my, they are as challenging as shooting swallows catching mosquitoes! Hovering is about the only time my AF could catch them.

Jack

Reactions: Pape

AlanF

Everyone sits in the prison of his own ideas. A E
Aug 16, 2012
RP, 70-300mm 300mm 5 picture focus stack,could used smaller aperture ,messy backround . but i turn brain dead on photographing situation
Nice one! I have never done a focus stack. Erik does them. It seems a very useful technique for dragonflies.

Reactions: Pape

Pape

EOS RP
Dec 31, 2018
Nice one! I have never done a focus stack. Erik does them. It seems a very useful technique for dragonflies.
Yeah its good for 100-400 and 70-300 ,dragonflys get big with min focus distance. and they like sit very still. smaller insects can get all sharp ,just with small aperture.
and these lenses got just tiny bit focus breathing,makes stack easier

Last edited:

kodakrome

EOS RP
Oct 25, 2015
RP, 70-300mm 300mm 5 picture focus stack,could used larger aperture ,messy backround . but i turn brain dead on photographing situation :p
Very nice! I've never attempted to do a focus stack with this kind of shot, but maybe I'll give it a try.