Dragonflies and Damselflies

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Birds have become so scarce this time of year and the heat keeps them hidden in the thick foliage, so what does a bird photographer do? Well, I have suddenly become hooked on dragonflies and damselflies. Portraits can be fun and you can sneak up on them easily. And it's perfect for the opportunistic photographer with lightweight gear, and you don't need very long telephotos. Dragonflies in flight are something different - they can be really difficult to track and focus on. I thought I could never capture them but the 100-400mm II on a 5DIV or 5DSR has proven to be brilliant. So, I am starting a new thread just devoted to dragonflies and damselflies. I'll start with a couple of Banded Demoiselles in flight. They are tiny and fly very erratically. I must admit I didn't even know their name or that they even existed a week ago. But, I am now addicted.bandeddemoiselle_inflight3Q7A6186-DxO_VVG.jpgbandeddemoiselle_inflight_3Q7A6233-DxO_bVVVG.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here are two from yesterday of which I am quite proud. Again on the 5DSR + 100-400mm II. These are much closer, much larger and far more difficult to capture because they are close.commondarter_flying_3Q7A5877-DxO_darter_flying.jpgcommondarters_M&F_3Q7A5905-DxO__flying_ovipositing_.jpgThe first is a male Common Darter in mid flight. The second is of a male and female Common Darter in the process of ovipositing - spraying eggs into the water. The male guards the female. What is remarkable is that by shear fluke you can see the eggs being released from the female.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Birds have become so scarce this time of year and the heat keeps them hidden in the thick foliage, so what does a bird photographer do? Well, I have suddenly become hooked on dragonflies and damselflies. Portraits can be fun and you can sneak up on them easily. And it's perfect for the opportunistic photographer with lightweight gear, and you don't need very long telephotos. Dragonflies in flight are something different - they can be really difficult to track and focus on. I thought I could never capture them but the 100-400mm II on a 5DIV or 5DSR has proven to be brilliant. So, I am starting a new thread just devoted to dragonflies and damselflies. I'll start with a couple of Banded Demoiselles in flight. They are tiny and fly very erratically. I must admit I didn't even know their name or that they even existed a week ago. But, I am now addicted.

We've had some dragonflies and damselflies before in this forum, but not that many "in flight"... So hard to get and keep them in view and in focus!
Great shots Alan, and very nice to see the 'banded' with its special wings.
The one with the Darters oviposting is also quite special! V. well done.
Wiebe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Very interesting new thread, Alan.
And several great shots above to get it started.

I can add a few shots of (in Danish) Blåbåndet Pragtvandnymfe - in Latin Calopteryx splendens from June 2016.
All made with Canon 6D and Tamron 150-600 (Mk I).
IMG_2681.jpg

A comment on technique: On the following three shots, I focused on the bud of the plant, as I had noticed, that the insects returned to that place regularly.
IMG_2908-2.jpgIMG_2956.jpgIMG_3021.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Alan!

Really great shots you made here!
I tried such (DIF) myself this summer but miserably failed :(
Even though I know that those demoiselles have a territorial behavior and start from and return to a certain raised hide.

Dragonflies in flight are something different - they can be really difficult to track and focus on. I thought I could never capture them but the 100-400mm II on a 5DIV or 5DSR has proven to be brilliant.
As I have similar equipment (5D3 and 100-400 II) I'd really like to know more about your settings and photo technique here.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Very interesting new thread, Alan.
A comment on technique: On the following three shots, I focused on the bud of the plant, as I had noticed, that the insects returned to that place regularly.
Thanks for those hints, PK. Also great shots.
I've tried similar things but the demoiselles were to fast for me, in an out of the framing :(

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan!

Really great shots you made here!
I tried such (DIF) myself this summer but miserably failed :(
Even though I know that those demoiselles have a territorial behavior and start from and return to a certain raised hide.

As I have similar equipment (5D3 and 100-400 II) I'd really like to know more about your settings and photo technique here.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for those hints, PK. Also great shots.
I've tried similar things but the demoiselles were to fast for me, in an out of the framing :(

Neutral on tracking, manual speed 1/3200s, wide open, auto iso and centre 9 points on focussing. We old'uns are pretty fast with our hands and feet.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Neutral on tracking, manual speed 1/3200s, wide open, auto iso and centre 9 points on focussing. We old'uns are pretty fast with our hands and feet.
Same settings here, although I've tried 1/2000 to reduce high ISO values.
So it seems that next time I've got to work more on patience, fast refexes and hands ;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You don't need the fanciest of equipment. Here is a female Banded Demoiselle taken by me with the 5DSR and 100-400mm II at 400mm, and one from the opposite side by Mrs point-and-shoot at 100mm with the M5 and EF-M 18-150mm (which I really do think are great). The colours are quite different because of the different backgrounds.Banded_demoiselle_female_2B4A0633-DxO_damselfly.jpgBanded_demoiselle_female_IMG_5070-DxO_.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0