Dragonflies and Damselflies

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice, it seems to enjoy it's lunch :) I'm fascinated about their color-scheme, it seems as if the body fluids are color-matched to look good behind the transparent body section? Yeah I know how evolution is supposed to work but sometimes I get the feeling that there was a designer (or possibly an engineer) involved, who did some experiments just for fun :p
By the way, I see that you have 2x TC III in your equipment list. How does it work together with EF100-400? I know there will be no AF but besides that, does it add any resolution compared to 1.4x TC?
I don't use it with the 100-400mm, though I did use it once with liveview and it did add resolution - but I wouldn't recommend it. I bought the 2xTC to go with a 300mm f/2.8. Now, I use it with a 400mm DO II, where it is not too bad.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice picture, Erik.
d055.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sitting ducks are much easier to shoot :p I just wish the dragonflies could hold their wings steady while I shoot focus stacks.. This yellow-spotted whiteface didn't so the right wings became a mess after stacking.
And why are the leading edges of the wings angled upwards? Any aircraft wings intended to give good lift at low speed have the leading edges angled downwards, either permanently or when deploying leading edge slats. But since dragonflies have been around for 200 million years I guess they know what they are doing? :unsure:

F36A5998_ZS_Dmap_11p_ret_DxO_full

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Another sitting duck, or a yellow-spotted whiteface to be more exact. :p Possily the same individual, this time it held the wings steady but moved the tail so I could not use the last picture in the stack.. I noticed another odd thing, the rib patterns in the wings are actually not identical on right and left side, at least when it comes to the smallest sections. I wonder if the pattern is unique for each individual then, like our fingerprints..?

F36A9544_ZS_DMap_9p_ret_DxO_4000

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0