Dragonflies and Damselflies

Another sitting duck, or a yellow-spotted whiteface to be more exact. :p Possily the same individual, this time it held the wings steady but moved the tail so I could not use the last picture in the stack.. I noticed another odd thing, the rib patterns in the wings are actually not identical on right and left side, at least when it comes to the smallest sections. I wonder if the pattern is unique for each individual then, like our fingerprints..?
I'd expect the fine detail of the (the 'rib patterns' as you call them) to have a randomness within the larger (genetic) picture, thus indeed be unique to the individual. In nature it wouldn't be efficient to "code" everything to the last micron... ;) and species that are too fixed in their build cannot adapt to changing circumstances :unsure:
W.

Upvote 0
.. In nature it wouldn't be efficient to "code" everything to the last micron... ;) and species that are too fixed in their build cannot adapt to changing circumstances :unsure:
W.
That sounds very reasonable :p... As I understand, one of the remaining mysteries in biology is how each cell knows which function it should be specialized to. Sure, the instructions for all the alternatives are stored in DNA and RNA in each cell but where and how the "blueprint" for the complete creature is coded is not yet understood..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Why can't they choose a better background..? Black-tailed skimmer

F36A0584_ZS_DMap_3p_ret_DxO_full
Don't laugh Erik, I spotted one this afternoon and got in one shot against a horrible background! I wasn't going to post it but I noticed other photos on the net against horrible surfaces, and then you posted!

3Q7A2131-DxO_dragonfly_blacktailed_skimmer.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Don't laugh Erik, I spotted one this afternoon and got in one shot against a horrible background! I wasn't going to post it but I noticed other photos on the net against horrible surfaces, and then you posted!
Interesting, maybe it is coded in their genes to choose worst possible background? :p Actually, their camouflage seems to work pretty well on gravel

Upvote 0