Dragonflies and Damselflies

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Managed to get some banded demoiselles in flight with the old 5DSR and 100-400mm II. Erik knows how difficult these shots are. These little beauts flitter around like fast butterflies and don't hover like dragonflies and are small. But, the 5DSR set to AF with the 9 centre points does give some keepers - the dof is just a few mm.

3Q7A2546-DxO_banded_demoiselle_flying+0.5.jpg3Q7A2565-DxO_banded_demoiselle_flying+0.5.jpg3Q7A2620-DxO_banded_demoiselle_flying+0.5.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well done, I've never managed to get those in flight.. it needs some superhuman abilities I guess :p
How did you keep the AF from locking on the background?
The background was relative diffuse, a river with some lily leaves. The AF should focus on the nearest object and I kept concentrating on getting them in the middle of the viewfinder. Most of the discarded images were just out of focus, varying from not being tack sharp to blur. As we know, even static shots aren’t easy to get in sharp focus overall.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
could try 50mm lens and finding place where they swarm :p and just spray around :p
preventing camera locking backround can use camera setting where it doesnt start hunt focus if too much away from focus . and prefocus more near where actual shoot is ?
I know you are joking, but random spray and pray would be very inefficient as there were never more than 2 in the field if view. 400mm on FF is optimal for me. A longer focal length would make it to difficult for me to keep in the viewfinder, and a shorter focal length would give smaller images. Yes, I did prefocus. The 100-400mm II has blisteringly fast AF. The Sigma 150-600 I don’t think would have worked. The 5DIV would have given me more keepers but at lower resolution.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am checking out gear for our big trip and tried my other 100-400mm II on the 5DIV, having spent yesterday FoCal'ing all combinations of 2 lenses x 2 1.4xTCs + 2 bodies. I have to admit the reproducibility of AF of the 5DIV is simply outstanding with shot after shot absolutely spot on. Here are a female banded demoiselle, a male banded demoiselle and a female emperor draginfly ovipositing.

2B4A0136-DxO_female_banded_demoiselle_cv.jpg2B4A0213-DxO_banded_demoiselle_cv_vg.jpg2B4A0307-DxO_female_emperor_dragonfly_ovipositing.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
That's a very good attempt. How did you set up the RP AF for it? How many failures for 1 success?
just 1 shoot, zone af . I rarely see flying dragonflies near me so havent got chanses shoot more. trying stay places where isnt mosquitos :) so not densely dragonflies either.

looks llike only wingtip got to focus .lucky shot i guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
just 1 shoot, zone af . I rarely see flying dragonflies near me so havent got chanses shoot more. trying stay places where isnt mosquitos :) so not densely dragonflies either.
I am impressed. Was it hovering or was flying past? I am very interested to find out how well the mirrorless do for nature shots. That was a very good shot as it is very difficult to get a whole dragonfly sharp.

Upvote 0