Dragonflies and Damselflies

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi ISv.
My guess would be that it is from his 300 f/2.8 + 2x converter days. :unsure:

Cheers, Graham.
Actually it doesn't mater - 600mm (effective - I should better ask "what camera") and speed 1/320 are what they are! My first series (the orange-yellow dragons) are at effective 750mm (crop camera, the actual focal length is 500mm) at speed 1/8000. You can't make the clear blue sky blurred but in two of the photos you see greenish background low in that photos - it's not a grass, it is small trees. Blur is coming from the panning and distance. In the second series it's again effective 750mm at speed 1/2000 (catching them at relatively slow motion) - so high to get the wings at least slightly blurred (at these photos the Dragons look like motionless and I don't like it). Panning on very unstable tripod because of the ground, VR on, Markins Q20 ball-head (I don't use a gumball: heavy for hiking).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The first skimmer I could "catch" here at my location.
I suppose it is a male black-tailed skimmer (orthetrum cancellatum) but it could also be a white-tailed skimmer (orthetrum albistylum).
Couldn't tell them apart.
Funny that the "white-tailed" also has a blue tail and a black tail tip. AFAIK the "white" comes from the female abdomen.

Edit: I now think that it is a scarce chaser (libellula fulva). If soemeone knows for sure, please let me know ;)

Edit:
It is a black-tailed skimmer (orthetrum cancellatum)

Skimmer.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful pictures. well done, Alan.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I suppose it is a male black-tailed skimmer (orthetrum cancellatum) but it could also be a white-tailed skimmer (orthetrum albistylum).
Funny that the "white-tailed" also has a blue tail and a black tail tip. AFAIK the "white" comes from the female abdomen.

View attachment 190690
Very good!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Nice picture.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0