Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
pierlux said:
how to resolve the controversy
Only two possibilities:
1. Canon designs or buys a sensor equal or better than exmor.
2. Canon to file for bankruptcy and will stop designing sensors and selling cameras.

I vote for "1." ;)

PS.: And even if "1." would happen soon, the sensor wouldn't be good enough to them... I suppose.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Maximilian said:
pierlux said:
Only two possibilities:
2. Canon to file for bankruptcy and will stop designing sensors and selling cameras.

I vote for "1." ;)

PS.: And even if "1." would happen soon, the sensor wouldn't be good enough to them... I suppose.

When the G7 X came out, immediately the complainers started. Now that its revealed that its a Sony sensor, they look pretty dumb, having already said how poor it is.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Maximilian said:
pierlux said:
Only two possibilities:

I vote for "1." ;)

Option 1 wouldn't work, DRones are anti-Canon as much as anything. There is no possibility of Canon making something good enough to satisfy them.

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
Option 1 wouldn't work, DRones are anti-Canon as much as anything. There is no possibility of Canon making something good enough to satisfy them.

No.
Anti-Canon = everything Canon does is bad.
Canon fanboy = everything Canon does is good.
Neutral = Canon is best at many things but not everything.

Anti-Canon peoole wouldn't care if Canon used Sony Sensors or not. They would just buy/promote Nikon or Sony cameras and be done with.
The people that care to complain about Canon, do so because they recognize Canon has the best cameras, only does not have the best sensors. They get frustrated because they would like to have the best of all worlds, but they cannot, they have to choose, either the best camera (read AF, UI, ergonomics, reliability, etc) and best lenses, or the best sensor (read DR, low light sensitivity, noise).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
racebit said:

Ok, so that makes me Neutral. :)
Speaking of "Fair and Balanced", where *IS* dilbert today? He missed the first page of the high MP sensor thread . . .

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi dstppy.
Just wondering, are you the guy that goes to a seance and tries to summon the devil! :eek:

Cheers, Graham.

dstppy said:
neuroanatomist said:
racebit said:

Ok, so that makes me Neutral. :)
Speaking of "Fair and Balanced", where *IS* dilbert today? He missed the first page of the high MP sensor thread . . .

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
pierlux said:
Only two possibilities:

I vote for "1." ;)

+1. It's interested that everything that Nikon beats Canon at is unimportant to good photography but everything that Canon beats Nikon at is critical. It's assured that as soon as Canon surpasses Nikon/Sony in DR, MP DXOmark scores and resolution (any they will at some point) those will become important features. Unless you shoot Nikon, at which point Nikon shooters will argue that 36MP is more than enough and existing DR is plenty, and DXOmark favor Canon.

Upvote 0
This has become a dreary topic, to say the least. It's bleeding into various threads. There seems no reasonable resolution (?!?). How can there be? People have expressed their views ad infinitum. It's come to the point of thrashing personalities, which is unfortunate and counter-productive. I can see little more to be said about it. People have various opinions which often clash. Why don't they just move on and, if they have to keep flogging a dead horse, why don't they establish a thread specifically for this topic and leave it there. I was the vice-principal of a largish elementary school in a former incarnation. This discussion has taken a turn that reminds me of some of the more objectionable recess behaviour I was called upon to deal with.

Upvote 0
dpc said:
why don't they establish a thread specifically for this topic and leave it there.

Because this currently is the most pressing issue for about 50% of the people here. People can cope with artificially dumbed down camera software - magiclantern alleviates some of that pain. People can deal with ergonomics. People can deal with lenses - most are fine and many 3rd party alternatives are available cross platform. But people cannot deal with an image which cannot be processed in the way they like because of high shadow noise. Then they look over to their neighbor and despite all the shortcomings of the other camera systems his image shows a higher resolution and less noise. Many of us often hit this barrier.

This is not the reason why there is complaining... that will never stop... but it is the reason why this one topic is so prevalent.

Upvote 0
heptagon said:
dpc said:
why don't they establish a thread specifically for this topic and leave it there.

Because this currently is the most pressing issue for about 50% of the people here. People can cope with artificially dumbed down camera software - magiclantern alleviates some of that pain. People can deal with ergonomics. People can deal with lenses - most are fine and many 3rd party alternatives are available cross platform. But people cannot deal with an image which cannot be processed in the way they like because of high shadow noise. Then they look over to their neighbor and despite all the shortcomings of the other camera systems his image shows a higher resolution and less noise. Many of us often hit this barrier.

This is not the reason why there is complaining... that will never stop... but it is the reason why this one topic is so prevalent.

Well, I guess the solution is obvious then. Buy into a camera system that meets your needs. I'm not sure how you determine that 50% of the people here (wherever 'here' is) find this their most pressing issue. That aside, all the complaining in the world isn't going to get you what you want Canon to do. They'll do what they think is right for their company. That may not satisfy you, but that's the way of the world. My primary issue is with the vitriolic nature of some of the posts around this topic. Completely unnecessary. My secondary issue is the hopeless character of this debate. And should you wonder if I'm some kind of Canon 'fanboy', I could care less what camera system anyone has. When I first got into digital photography it was my intention to go Nikon and I only bought into Canon because I got a better deal. Having said that, I'm happy enough with what I have. Anyway, that's all I have to say on the matter.

Upvote 0