DSLR Sliders, Jibs, Supports and More

In the next few days I will be buying some if not all the following: a slider, a shoulder support and/or stabiliser, probably a Ninja external monitor and if it is feasible, a jib (compact crane).

I travel internationally with all my gear a lot and do not want to pay excess luggage (nor have to buy any new luggage to fit it all in), so whatever I buy I need it to be as light and compact as possible, while also doing the job properly without worring about its quality etc.

Any recommendations on brands, particular products or suggestions?

For example, in your experience is there a minimum length for a slider? A max?

Is the Ninja the best external monitor (to help see focus and get a better idea of what I am shooting etc?)

The camera I will mostly be using is an 1D X fitted with a 70-200L f/2.8 ii and at other times a 17-40L. My tripod is fine in terms of strength, and the head I use is a Manfrotto MVH502AH.

Unfortunately, not everything you recommend will be available where I live, but I hope to at least get an idea of what not to buy, and what to look out for etc.

Thanks.

i find a short slider best, the ramping and uniformity of movement is easier to control. The trick is to have a foreground object to emphasise the movement, or to slide out from behind so ething large and close to the camera to do a reveal. add a microball or compact ball head i to the mix and you can use the 502 to tilt the slide, and the microball to compensate keeping the camera level but the movement skewed.

there are sliders than cen be adapted into shoulder rigs, but I haven't used them so cannot vouch.
I like the cowboy slinger, cheap, comfortable, compact, basic, functional, but I tend to shoot with lens and camera only.

If you want to save some serious weight or space, and this takes a leap of confidence.... don't take tripod legs, or settle for a monopod (manfrotto do one with a ball foot which is good for video, can mimic a slider up to a point, and as you alrwady have the 502 head, you only need the leg and foot part) anyway, back to tripod legs...

Not absolutely neccessary, get a manfrotto superclamp and 3/8 spigot. Get a manfrotto 438 (i think) mini leveller.

Now railings, chair backs, tables street furnature etc become your tripod legs... the monopod is steady enough for b-roll etc, the clamp can be improvised, levelled and your 502 head put on it. (or even slider and 502 head)

An extreme solution perhaps... but workable.
Improvisation and confidence are the key.

Upvote 0
Thanks Tinky, I agree improvisation is always key when you are limited to certain tools due to travel.

I always travel with tripod legs as I do not just do moving video but other things as well, plus stills etc. That can't leave my luggage.

I am very happy with the tripod I have as it is strong enough for a 1D X plus 400 f/2.8 ii etc but also has one leg that can break off as a monopod that can also support that same weight.

Do you have any experience with jigs? Any suggestions on slider brands etc?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I'm not much of a dancer, so can't help you with jigs, jibs on the other hand...

I use a b-hague jib, mainly for height. Doesn't compact, not fluid to do rises with etc I've hired in better arms from kessler and libec, but generally for bigger cams, most of my stuff is run and gun, so not bothered so much in the past.

I use a cheapo chinese slider called a koolertron. It uses terrible sloppy friction bearings, which actually work quite well if you pad them with electrical tape to eliminate the wobble. I would spend more money on something with igus bearings, glidetrack might be the one stop shop for your slider and travel jib.

But get a clamp too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 364
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
expat,
I can't recommend much, but my experience so far:
First, I assume you're mostly in Asia, so for flying, try Cathay. Last November, we flew to and from US to HK, and HK to NZ. The allowed luggage was 2 pieces each person at 23 kg (50 lbs) each, plus the usual carry on. That beats United's single luggage.
Second, I never used a slider, but I made a screw driven motion carriage for macro photography, it's just over a foot long, weights too much. I may reduce the linear bearings down later this year to make it simpler, and may change the drive to accommodate a clutch to move manually. (See first photo).
Third, my suggestion to a larger view screen would be a set up comprising of a CamRanger and an iPAD. (See second and third photo). You may go for a retina mini iPAD or an iPAD Air to reduce weight. Get an adaptor for the iPAD to read SD (!) card if you use SD card for your cameras. I use a HyperDrive hard drive (installed with an SSD) with built in multiformat card reader so I can transfer images back an forth with the iPAD. The iPAD doubles as a larger screen for live view shoots and a display later of shots. I think this setup is a multifunction purpose rather than a dedicated monitor for the camera.
Hope this helps.
-r

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I've only recently made the jump into video. Needed to learn it for business purposes. Still very much in the learning stage.

I bought a Rhino Carbon Fiber Slider http://rhinocameragear.com/store/rhino-slider-carbon-core-2ft after reading several reviews. While my slider technique still leaves much to be desired, I have been very pleased with the Rhino.

Next thing is probably going to get me crucified but I would ditch the 1Dx and take a 70D. The combination of vari-angle screen, touch-screen and dual pixel autofocus is fantastic for video. I do wish it had a headphone jack, to monitor audio, but I intend to record audio separately and then use the on-camera audio purely for syncing with the separately recorded audio.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
I've only recently made the jump into video. Needed to learn it for business purposes. Still very much in the learning stage.

I bought a Rhino Carbon Fiber Slider http://rhinocameragear.com/store/rhino-slider-carbon-core-2ft after reading several reviews. While my slider technique still leaves much to be desired, I have been very pleased with the Rhino.

Next thing is probably going to get me crucified but I would ditch the 1Dx and take a 70D. The combination of vari-angle screen, touch-screen and dual pixel autofocus is fantastic for video. I do wish it had a headphone jack, to monitor audio, but I intend to record audio separately and then use the on-camera audio purely for syncing with the separately recorded audio.

Shall crucify you for the af, but the vari-screen is a god send, a larger screen would be nice for my interviews at f2.0 or f1.4, but then I'm not travelling by plane so much. so tend to take a mains monitor for these kind of shoots,

Upvote 0
unfocused said:

Thanks, lion rock and unfocused.

I am not new to video, just upgrading what I do. The 1D X will not be going anywhere, although I understand what you mean about the dual pixel AF - perhaps the 1D X ii will have something similar. For audio I use the Tascam DR-60D which I am very pleased with, though the videos with jibs, sliders etc won't need sound.

Upvote 0
Tinky said:
I. use the dr60d too, love the security of audio in two places, and the dual tracking with varying levels.

I wish in hindsight I had bought shares in duracell at the same time.

That has never been an issue for me, as I always run it off the mains. Worth getting the cables to do that if you do not already have.

Upvote 0