Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=14171"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=14171">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>From Magic Lantern

</strong>The folks at Magic Lantern have no cracked the EOS 5D Mark II and <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">EOS 6D</a> and made the cameras capable of shooting in “dual ISO mode” which increases dynamic range to 14 stops. We’ve seen this <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/07/normal-raw-vs-dual-iso-raw-example-video/" target="_blank">previously for the EOS 5D Mark III</a>.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/08/magic-lantern-cracks-dual-iso-on-5d2-and-6d-for-14-stops-of-dynamic-range/" target="_blank">Read more at Planet5D</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Re: Dual ISO Makes its Way to the EOS 5D Mark II & EOS 6D

neuroanatomist said:
agierke said:
forgive the naive question....this is for video purposes only correct? or their still applications for this as well?

Definitely useful for stills, provided the loss of resolution isn't an issue for your needs.

Lol I came on here to ask the same question! Has anyone tried it for stills? Am not a DR chaser but just curious. Guess I should just try it and see.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de

Canon Rumors said:
The folks at Magic Lantern have no cracked the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 6D

Oh no, not again - ml doesn't "crack" anything, but they just modify the camera to use additional firmware from the card, and only this small part could be part "hack" if you are really keen to label it. All ml is original quality software that just uses canon hooks just like your browser uses your os' hooks to write text or display the window.

These differences might seem small to some, but it is keeping a lot of people from using ml which is regrettable b/c it's a good reason to stay with canon and more users might mean more support for ml, meaning faster/better code.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

neuroanatomist said:
agierke said:
forgive the naive question....this is for video purposes only correct? or their still applications for this as well?

Definitely useful for stills, provided the loss of resolution isn't an issue for your needs.

As said before in other threads... Dual pixel technology is just begging for this.....

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

FatDaddyJones

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
Dec 24, 2010

Canon used to be the trendsetter, cutting edge technology leader. Here lately, they've been trying to just play catchup. Hey Canon, why does it take a dual ISO hack just to match the native DR from your competitor's sensor? My Nikon buddy used to be jealous of my equipment, but his work with his new D800 is blowing me away. I'm not saying my Mark III isn't awesome, but I can't wait to see the possibilities with this dual pixel technology with not just AF but DR also.

Upvote 0

This is intriguing but I have to admit ever since I bought my first 5DII a few years ago, I've been scared you-know-what-less to even think about putting ML on my bodies. I'm now up to a 5DIII and still can't imagine putting unwarranted third party software on such an expensive device. The prospect of turning my 5DIII in to a $3000 paperweight when something goes wrong is just too terrifying a prospect to contemplate. And lest anyone accuse me of being a weak-kneed sissy on the subject, I have a master's degree in software engineering and work daily with custom-built, multi-million dollar software systems for the U.S. Air Force, some designed and written by me, some by others. So I know the risks. Software has often been described as the single most complex construct every devised by the mind of man. The level of complexity and unpredictability in even the simplest software solutions can reach mind boggling proportions. Once a software program advances beyond the typical, single line "Hello World" level of complexity, it can quickly become next to impossible to identify every possible execution path through the code, much less have the time and money to test all of those execution paths with every possible range of input and output parameters. There are "best practice" approaches to keep the complexity level - and thus the testatbility, predictability, and maintainability - to within reasonable levels. But in the end, it's still a might big risk to take if Canon is going to slam the door in your face when you come calling with a bricked and useless camera that got that way because you put a piece of unauthorized third party software on it.

I'm not saying anyone who uses ML should stop, but before I took that plunge, I sure would like to hear about the experiences - both good and bad - from a whole hell of a lot of people who have actually used it.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
agierke said:

Since the trolls have already gotten in before the lock, can you wow us with the loss-of-resolution specifics? That way it can be ignored and people can continue to argue :)

Upvote 0

gbchriste said:
This is intriguing but I have to admit ever since I bought my first 5DII a few years ago, I've been scared you-know-what-less to even think about putting ML on my bodies. I'm now up to a 5DIII and still can't imagine putting unwarranted third party software on such an expensive device. The prospect of turning my 5DIII in to a $3000 paperweight when something goes wrong is just too terrifying a prospect to contemplate. And lest anyone accuse me of being a weak-kneed sissy on the subject, I have a master's degree in software engineering and work daily with custom-built, multi-million dollar software systems for the U.S. Air Force, some designed and written by me, some by others. So I know the risks. Software has often been described as the single most complex construct every devised by the mind of man. The level of complexity and unpredictability in even the simplest software solutions can reach mind boggling proportions. Once a software program advances beyond the typical, single line "Hello World" level of complexity, it can quickly become next to impossible to identify every possible execution path through the code, much less have the time and money to test all of those execution paths with every possible range of input and output parameters. There are "best practice" approaches to keep the complexity level - and thus the testatbility, predictability, and maintainability - to within reasonable levels. But in the end, it's still a might big risk to take if Canon is going to slam the door in your face when you come calling with a bricked and useless camera that got that way because you put a piece of unauthorized third party software on it.

I'm not saying anyone who uses ML should stop, but before I took that plunge, I sure would like to hear about the experiences - both good and bad - from a whole hell of a lot of people who have actually used it.

Magic Lantern is safe as you can get. As far as I've been able to tell, there aren't any bricks as a result of Magic Lantern. Not saying it can't happen, but as this is loaded in memory and memory gets wiped when you hard re-boot your camera (taking the battery out), the odds of it happening are pretty slim.

Will I guarantee it? No - but that's because I'm not a Magic Lantern developer and I don't know what is in the code. But my research hasn't found any bricked cameras because of Magic Lantern.

Upvote 0

planetMitch said:
gbchriste said:

Magic Lantern is safe as you can get. As far as I've been able to tell, there aren't any bricks as a result of Magic Lantern. Not saying it can't happen, but as this is loaded in memory and memory gets wiped when you hard re-boot your camera (taking the battery out), the odds of it happening are pretty slim.

Will I guarantee it? No - but that's because I'm not a Magic Lantern developer and I don't know what is in the code. But my research hasn't found any bricked cameras because of Magic Lantern.

Direclty from the ML FAQ Page (bold text in original text at http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#is_it_safe] [url]http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#is_it_safe[/url])

Is it safe?

No. Magic Lantern was created by reverse engineering an undocumented system that controls hardware. Therefore, we can't be certain that it's 100% safe.

Magic Lantern does not replace Canon code (which is stored in ROM), but it does change the settings (which are saved to a non-volatile memory). If Magic Lantern would set incorrect values for certain settings, this may cause the camera not to boot (even without ML).

The same risk is present if you use third party software for USB remote control. These programs use the same API for changing camera settings (properties), and Canon code does not always check the validity of the settings before saving them to NVRAM. Here's a proof. Even developers of USB control software, who use Canon's own SDK, agree with this.

Imagine that your config file gets corrupted and you can't just delete it and start from scratch. We consider this a design flaw in Canon software. We did encounter such problems during development, but we were able to recover from them. For technical details, see Unbricking.

Probably the safest way to run Magic Lantern (or any third party camera control software) is to use custom modes - in these modes, Canon code does not save user settings to NVRAM.

In practice, we are doing our best to prevent these situations, and thousands of users are enjoying it without problems. However, this does not represent a guarantee - use it at your own risk.

Actually, using Magic Lantern we have successfully unbricked a 5D Mark II damaged by a USB remote controller app.

Upvote 0

We sent a 50D off to get an IR filter removed, and now you have to remove the battery before it turns back on...

So, there might be little bugs when you mess with it. I like to let other people try it out first too. I can't afford too many $2000 mistakes.

But, if it works, I might be interested in this. I have a 5Dm2 and would like more dynamic range.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011

sjprg said:
My question IS; Why if ML can do it, Why won't Canon? not why can't Canon? As I've said for years Can/NIK keep feeding us dribbles instead of state of the art. If they used bit slice ADCs they could do much better also.

I think part of the problem for Canon is explaining the loss of resolution, and the complicated process of generating an image afterwards. - It is possible that the Digic IV may not have had enough grunt to build the code into the camera to combine the two images afterwards without too much of a delay after taking a shot, or Canon didn't want to build it into DPP. Then there is the complication of explaining to people that they need both files. - Just too many ways for "dumb" users to get it wrong, creating a support/marketing nightmare for Canon.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.