DxO Labs in receivership?

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
If Canon buy DxO do they limit it to Canon cameras, or do they then support all cameras with DPP?
Isn’t DPP superior to some if not all of the other camera manufacturer’s offerings already? And it is free!
What if Nikon or Sony buy DxO and limit it to their cameras, how do we all feel then?
Are we sure DxO Labs is up for sale, or is this speculation based on them being in whatever this French situation is equivalent to bearing in mind we have had some information that it is not actually ‘receivership’ as such?

Cheers, Graham.

AlanF said:
Canon should buy DxO PhotoLab, incorporate it into DPP and have software that is far superior to any other company's.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
mppix said:
Talys said:
Chaitanya said:
Not a good sign that Lightroom might be missing another competitor(Apple killed of its Aperture) which might mean Adobe will slack off even more and be more appaling.

In my opinion, Adobe is like Canon in that it simply moves at its own pace, mindful of the competition, but just doing its own thing both in pricing and featureset.

Personally, I have been happy with Adobe's recent direction and their Lightroom product. The $10/month PS/LR is a deal and a half for me as I have a few PCs that I want to use both on.

Like Canon, Adobe pretty much owns their market and play from a position of strength. In the long run, i don't see any paid software as meaningful competition. Lightroom is simply everywhere but open-source solutions such as Darktable or RAWtherapee may improve sufficiently to merit serious consideration.

So far, I"m finding On1 RAW 2018 to be a VERY viable alternative to LR....without the subscription burden.
They seem to be offering quite a few upgrades/updates for free so far this year too.

They have a 30 day trial....give it a shot.

I really like the luminosity masks and other masking tools for working in RAW files...neat stuff.

cayenne

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Valvebounce said:
Hi Alan.
If Canon buy DxO do they limit it to Canon cameras, or do they then support all cameras with DPP?
Isn’t DPP superior to some if not all of the other camera manufacturer’s offerings already? And it is free!
What if Nikon or Sony buy DxO and limit it to their cameras, how do we all feel then?
Are we sure DxO Labs is up for sale, or is this speculation based on them being in whatever this French situation is equivalent to bearing in mind we have had some information that it is not actually ‘receivership’ as such?

Cheers, Graham.

AlanF said:
Canon should buy DxO PhotoLab, incorporate it into DPP and have software that is far superior to any other company's.

Buy it, restrict it to Canon only and provide for free.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
RGF said:
AvTvM said:
YES, i am 100% callous vs. companies like flickr. F' them all! I loved my ass off when Kodak went down. When Nokia went down. Will rejoice when Adobe finally swims goes belly-up. And maybe I will even live to see stupid Canon go down. Will love laugh very hard then.
From the bottom of my heart.
;D 8)

I guess you have never been part of a company that went belly up. Having been through this once (which is more than enough for a person), it is gut wrenching. Destroys your world, at least for a while.

Depending on the country and the laws, employees can lose retirement plans, their job, of course, their medical insurance, and all that goes with those losses. Their families suffer as well. Its not a pretty thought.

I suspect that the company will re-emerge, I think that they have something like Chapter 11 where all debts are cancelled and the company is acquired by the banks and resold. It becomes a strong company because they have income and no debts, except likely money owed to maintain pensions. The creditors and owners are the ones who lose. DXO is privately held, so there are no shareholders to lose their investment.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Depending on the country and the laws, employees can lose retirement plans, their job, of course, their medical insurance, and all that goes with those losses. Their families suffer as well. Its not a pretty thought.

Well... They're a french company, so retirement plans and medical insurance are covered by the State. Unemployment benefits is decent when fired because the company failed. It's not ideal, and it's difficult (benefits are set at around 60% of last salary for up to two years or something like that) but it should be survivable for most of the employees (admin staff over 50 may have a rough time ahead though).

After that,for the moment, they have been put under judicial administration. A judge will look at the company and decide if it's salvageable. If it is, he'll help them restructure their debts,etc... If it's not, he will put the company's asset in an auction to reimburse the creditors. We'll know in a few months.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Djaaf said:

Well... They're a french company, so retirement plans and medical insurance are covered by the State. Unemployment benefits is decent when fired because the company failed. It's not ideal, and it's difficult (benefits are set at around 60% of last salary for up to two years or something like that) but it should be survivable for most of the employees (admin staff over 50 may have a rough time ahead though).

After that,for the moment, they have been put under judicial administration. A judge will look at the company and decide if it's salvageable. If it is, he'll help them restructure their debts,etc... If it's not, he will put the company's asset in an auction to reimburse the creditors. We'll know in a few months.

There is very little information about what is going on, I saw one comment that a offer had been made to reorganize them, presumably someone with money to pay the bills.

The French do have lots of Social protection for Employees, there have been suggestions to reduce it, but those are extremely unpopular. Of course, the Government does not print money to provide it, it comes from taxes on businesses. That makes it difficult for them to compete, and then they need Government support or they fail. I doubt that DXO was or will get Government support.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am writing to you on behalf of DxOMark Image Labs. Posting a clarification here about our company in view of recent events.

DxOMark Image Labs was spun off from DxO Labs in September 2017. It has been ever since a privately-owned, 100% independent company with a new CEO. We have no links with DxO Labs in terms of ownership anymore. Therefore, the current judicial proceedings with DxO Labs have no impact on our activities including the image quality benchmark DxOMark.

Sincerely,
The DxOMark Image Labs team

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
snoke said:
It becomes a strong company because they have income and no debts, except likely money owed to maintain pensions.

Only USA have pension like this. Europe has government pension.

Civil servants, school teachers and state employees have government pensions but most in the UK have private pension schemes.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
The French do have lots of Social protection for Employees, there have been suggestions to reduce it, but those are extremely unpopular. Of course, the Government does not print money to provide it, it comes from taxes on businesses. That makes it difficult for them to compete, and then they need Government support or they fail. I doubt that DXO was or will get Government support.

Germany corporate taxes are only slightly below the French one, and German companies are highly competitive, with an outstanding trade surplus.

Most of the money anyway come from income taxes and VAT (it's 20% in France), not corporate ones.

Still in most Western European countries you don't lose healthcare if you lose your job, nor pension funds are usually managed by the companies themselves - still, you have to reach the retirement age, and without a job your pension may not reach a decent monthly sum.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
DxOMark Image Labs said:
Hi,

I am writing to you on behalf of DxOMark Image Labs. Posting a clarification here about our company in view of recent events.

DxOMark Image Labs was spun off from DxO Labs in September 2017. It has been ever since a privately-owned, 100% independent company with a new CEO. We have no links with DxO Labs in terms of ownership anymore. Therefore, the current judicial proceedings with DxO Labs have no impact on our activities including the image quality benchmark DxOMark.

Sincerely,
The DxOMark Image Labs team

Thats my understanding, but the owners are likely the same. Apparently, the split was done quitely and not announced right away.

Usually when splits are done like that and then one of the units defaults, it looks very suspicious.

I wonder if the owners will end up in court.

Most of us here are concerned about the image editing software, DXO Photolab. Its seen as a option to Adobe Lightroom and many own it. Obviously, no firm guarantee that it will continue to be updated can be made.

DXOMark is not something that consumers purchase, and is not of great value to most of us.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Pure Photo N.I said:
Wonder if this means that Nik will dissapear :(

As of now, no one knows for sure what is going to happen, I predict that, since DXO Photolab is a valuable asset, that at worst (or best), it will be purchased and continue to be developed along with Nik.

Obviously, its a concern for purchasers, but the software will not go away.

Upvote 0
Wow a lot of BS and even some trolling going on...

French Gov can help by delaying taxes to the company or suspend loans monthly payment or even provide financial assistance and recapitalization if needed.

Being "en redressement" doesn't mean bankruptcy, it means that there an administrator nominated to help the company deals with difficulties, paying suppliers, and managing the projects. This admin has the final cut on the decisions. Most of the time there is a reduction of the scope, or the ending of deficit-making products/projects, and a centering on the most profitable business activities.
Again, I strongly suspect the DxO One to be a total fiasco, and the main cause of cash loss. Creating such a new device required to invest massively in the ecosystem. I surely lack information, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see very soon the end of DxO One program.

Currently I manage tech business, product and system engineering projects, and provide consulting to companies. The moment I saw the product, it screamed "Waaaaste" of money/time. Iphone marketshare has been shrinking for years, and the photo quality has increased tremendously (Dxomark was the first to embrace this reality, and began testing smartphones...was it not a hint??) I really love the company, I strongly support the softwares. Again, it's not because I am not a client of a product that it won't have success, but still, never saw a DxO one in real...never.

For now this is the first step for a company that is in bad shape, "redressement", if it fails (meaning can't pay anyone but the employee) it's default, then "liquidation judiciaire" at the very end. The french law is made to protect the employees and the business, AND the capacity of the company to pay tax...off course

Upvote 0