DxO processing to Lightroom

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Though I use DxO regular, I am not too familar with the export to lightroom.
Here is what I want:
- I open and edit a RAW-photo in DxO (I like to lensprofile adjustments in DxO), I make some additional adjustments
- I would like to transfer the RAW-file including the adjustments I did in DxO to Lightroom for some minor tweaking; like applying specific presets (pre-defined adjustments) only available in LR

Currently I can export JPG, TIFF and DNG and store the photo on the HD
I can export to Lightroom as well but again as JPG, TIFF or DNG - or without the adjustments I made in DxO

How can export the RAW-file with my DxO adjustments as RAW-file?

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
candyman said:

You cannot, that's the catch and why I use LR only - keeping the non-destructive "raw" workflow.

Explanation: DxO has its own raw converter, so you get "demoisaiced" ~100mb files instead of the ~20mb raw cr2. You can export it as dng, but make no mistake - this is not "raw" anymore either.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Marsu42 said:
Nelu said:
You can export from DxO to the DNG format:

Read. My. Lips. No. New. Taxes. This. DNG. Is. Not. Raw.
And that`s what I said: DNG, I didn`t say raw.
The beauty of raw is that it cannot be touched by any software. Once it is, it becomes something else: jpeg, tiff, DNG, whatever.
Frankly, I only shoot in raw and also keep my files and backup files in raw as well.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Nelu said:
Marsu42 said:
Nelu said:
You can export from DxO to the DNG format:
Read. My. Lips. No. New. Taxes. This. DNG. Is. Not. Raw.
And that`s what I said: DNG, I didn`t say raw.

Right :), so you carefully eluded the op's question or topic :p

Nelu said:
The beauty of raw is that it cannot be touched by any software. Once it is, it becomes something else: jpeg, tiff, DNG, whatever.

Sure it can: The 5d3 produces in-camera raw files by assembling multiple single raw shots, you could do the same on the desktop though nobody saw a need yet. Magic Lantern merges two interlaced raw shots to one 16 bit raw. You can modify the raw's metadata to your delight with exiftool. You can forge a raw file to be come photog of the year, no problem there.

The term "raw" simply means "sensor data", in case of bayer mosaic data - no more, no less. It isn't "sealed", and Canon botched their attempt to add a digital signature.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Marsu42 said:
candyman said:

You cannot, that's the catch and why I use LR only - keeping the non-destructive "raw" workflow.

Explanation: DxO has its own raw converter, so you get "demoisaiced" ~100mb files instead of the ~20mb raw cr2. You can export it as dng, but make no mistake - this is not "raw" anymore either.

I was already afraid it would be like that. I guess I have to transfer those specific presets of LR to DxO - manually that is....
Thanks Marsu42
[/size]
[/size]btw JPG is compressed and lost a lot of info so does DNG hold more info than JPG?

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
candyman said:
btw JPG is compressed and lost a lot of info so does DNG hold more info than JPG?

Um, you seem to be confusion metadata with image data? In any case, the best answer is "depends" - you can attach as much metadata to jpeg as to dng, and there's also "lossy dng" though it has better quality (and higher file size) than jpeg.

One advantage of dng over tif/jpeg is better standardization as it's a more recent format, that's probably the reason why dxo added it (and of course for marketing to make people think dxo can write "raw" dng).

Upvote 0