arthurbikemad said:
RGF said:
AlanF said:
SecureGSM said:
D850 + EF mount = 5DsR II ;)

AlanF said:
D850 + EF mount = killer combination.

Here's hoping!

Probability is less than 0.00000000000001% (might add a few more zeros).

Would be great if Canon could come close to matching the sensor in the D850. Then again, the D850 may be Nikon's last hope to gain market share. Otherwise they company may be going out of business.

It's an odd one, Nikon make the best DSLR in the world (so some may say) but they struggle to survive, perhaps this is why DXO pity them ;) As for 5D4 close to the 850, my 5D4 don't seem half bad and my "low res" 1DX2 seems to kicks its arse at times.

Perhaps the answer is for Canon to buy out Nikon ::)

Canon is better at market research and pricing products. I will freely admit that when I went from Nikon to Canon, it wasn't because Canon had the best $5,000 camera. At the time, I was looking for a sub $1,000 body option, and Canon had not only had better options in that price range, but also visibly nicer colors. Plus, I really wanted the EFS17-55/2.8, which ended up putting me over budget anyways. But just like the 70-200 2.8 IS II and the 100-400 II, these have been lenses that have made it so that I wouldn't consider switching away from Canon; when I bought them, and for a long time afterwards, they have just the best pieces of glass I've ever used, and they were priced at a level which was expensive, but acceptable for me at the time of purchase.

Who made the best camera that I couldn't afford and couldn't foresee buying did not impact my buying decision at all -- I didn't even investigate who had the best sensor.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV,Nikon%20D850

bit less than 1.2 stops of DR difference at the base ISO. more like a 0.8 of a stop and only at ISO 65 :)

High ISO performance of 5D IV is noticeably better though.
In addition, DPAF performance of the Canon in comparison to Nikon is simply "off the chart" :D
Aha!

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Maximum PDR: 10.83 EV Low Light ISO: 5011 Low Light EV: 10.65
Nikon D850 Maximum PDR : 11.63 Low Light ISO: 4115 Low Light EV: 10.36

if
ahsanford said:
If DXO data is accepted:

• The D850 has more dynamic range (at base ISO) and greater color depth. The differences, in fairness, are not very large. For instance, 1.2 stops of base ISO DR will not let you leave the ND grads at home / abandon the practice of compositing multiple shots for tripod landscape work. Further, the gap between Canon and Nikon has been dramatically reduced here -- the D800/D800E/D810 models were a wowzer-like 2.5-3 stops better than the 5D3 on this front.

• Though the D850's high ISO score isn't quite up to the 5D4's, it's not far off. I haven't seen a 45 MP file downsampled to the 30 MP of the 5D4 for comparison yet -- it's possible at downsampled D850 file might be cleaner than a 5D4 file.

So it's a little better depending on how you look at it:

Detail: Considerably better
Base ISO DR: Slightly better
General DR away from Base ISO: Similar
High ISO noise: Slightly worse (45 MP) to perhaps equivalent (30 MP downsample)

But there's nothing in the sensor data that I've seen thus far that the D850 will be an overall better camera in real world use. The D850 sensor captures more detail and conditionally outperforms the 5D4 in a few areas, but that drives right past AF, handling, LiveView/video use (where DPAF is a nontrivial consideration), etc.

As I said before, the D850 (like the D500 before it) is a spec sheet juggernaut, but it needs to work well in real use and reviews are needed to get into that. That said, I have much more faith in Nikon than Sony to deliver the potential of that spec sheet.

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
SecureGSM said:
http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV,Nikon%20D850

bit less than 1.2 stops of DR difference at the base ISO. more like a 0.8 of a stop and only at ISO 65 :)

High ISO performance of 5D IV is noticeably better though.
In addition, DPAF performance of the Canon in comparison to Nikon is simply "off the chart" :D
Aha!

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Maximum PDR: 10.83 EV Low Light ISO: 5011 Low Light EV: 10.65
Nikon D850 Maximum PDR : 11.63 Low Light ISO: 4115 Low Light EV: 10.36

if
ahsanford said:
If DXO data is accepted:

• The D850 has more dynamic range (at base ISO) and greater color depth. The differences, in fairness, are not very large. For instance, 1.2 stops of base ISO DR will not let you leave the ND grads at home / abandon the practice of compositing multiple shots for tripod landscape work. Further, the gap between Canon and Nikon has been dramatically reduced here -- the D800/D800E/D810 models were a wowzer-like 2.5-3 stops better than the 5D3 on this front.

• Though the D850's high ISO score isn't quite up to the 5D4's, it's not far off. I haven't seen a 45 MP file downsampled to the 30 MP of the 5D4 for comparison yet -- it's possible at downsampled D850 file might be cleaner than a 5D4 file.

So it's a little better depending on how you look at it:

Detail: Considerably better
Base ISO DR: Slightly better
General DR away from Base ISO: Similar
High ISO noise: Slightly worse (45 MP) to perhaps equivalent (30 MP downsample)

But there's nothing in the sensor data that I've seen thus far that the D850 will be an overall better camera in real world use. The D850 sensor captures more detail and conditionally outperforms the 5D4 in a few areas, but that drives right past AF, handling, LiveView/video use (where DPAF is a nontrivial consideration), etc.

As I said before, the D850 (like the D500 before it) is a spec sheet juggernaut, but it needs to work well in real use and reviews are needed to get into that. That said, I have much more faith in Nikon than Sony to deliver the potential of that spec sheet.

- A

Dude, those 0.8 is what makes your images stand out, it's a winning ticket to Pulitzer and every single photo contest, don't you know? :) All images taken with the cameras having less DR are shame of photography, and must be consigned to oblivion. I'm pretty sure DpR would approve this message.

Upvote 0