EDIT. I really like OLY OMD cameras as well as my Canon gear.

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
because if you start playing around with them, you will end up with a couple of them, some pro and premium lenses, and start to get rid of your much larger DLSR hardware.

I now own the OMD-EM1 MK1 with grip, OMD-EM5 MKII with grip, and the OMD-EM1 MKII
as well as a couple pro line lenses and the 25mm F1.8 premium lens.

Bought the older EM1 MK1 and EM5-MKII with grips dirt cheap at a local cam store, and then after a few weeks of using them, I decided to purchase the EM1 MKII as well.

I have come to the conclusion that for every day shooting, I will be an Oly user, but will keep my EOS R for astro use.

traded in my 80D, 1D MKIV and my 7D and will keep the Eos R

IF you love your big Canon's and Nikon's and large lenses, you might not after giving m4/3rds an honest try out.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
because if you start playing around with them, you will end up with a couple of them, some pro and premium lenses, and start to get rid of your much larger DLSR hardware.

I now own the OMD-EM1 MK1 with grip, OMD-EM5 MKII with grip, and the OMD-EM1 MKII

Bought the older EM1 MK1 and EM5-MKII with grips dirt cheap at a local cam store, and then after a few weeks of using them, I decided to purchase the EM1 MKII as well.

I have come to the conclusion that for every day shooting, I will be an Oly user, but will keep my EOS R for astro use.

IF you love your big Canon's and Nikon's and large lenses, you might not after giving m4/3rds an honest try out.
Got both. Like both. Different tools for different jobs.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I own the E-M5 Mark II and the 12-40 f/2.8 Pro lens. It's just too small for me and does not do well in low light. My wife loves it, but she's a tiny girl under 5' and always shoots on auto. It does ok in good light. She won't however, allow me to buy the longer zoom. The build on the body and lens seem robust, but the ergonomics are terrible in my hands. I am very impressed with the lens build quality... all metal I think.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I own the E-M5 Mark II and the 12-40 f/2.8 Pro lens. It's just too small for me and does not do well in low light. My wife loves it, but she's a tiny girl under 5' and always shoots on auto. It does ok in good light. She won't however, allow me to buy the longer zoom. The build on the body and lens seem robust, but the ergonomics are terrible in my hands. I am very impressed with the lens build quality... all metal I think.

So to get an M5 mark II I need to buy an Olympus?

Upvote 0
CFB - I fully appreciate the concern about 'too small.' At times I feel the same way, hence I have add-on grips for most of my M4/3 bodies. Buttons can be small and close together as well. If I know I'll need to work fast but wear gloves I'll more likely use my Canon gear. As to low light performance -- yup, it is a smaller sensor so there is that; but, I find up to ISO 3200 (on the G9) acceptable for most situations. (My stuff usually gets reproduced fairly small or used on-line.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
CFB - I fully appreciate the concern about 'too small.' At times I feel the same way, hence I have add-on grips for most of my M4/3 bodies. Buttons can be small and close together as well. If I know I'll need to work fast but wear gloves I'll more likely use my Canon gear. As to low light performance -- yup, it is a smaller sensor so there is that; but, I find up to ISO 3200 (on the G9) acceptable for most situations. (My stuff usually gets reproduced fairly small or used on-line.)
Too tiny for me. ;) No grip known to man is gonna fix that.

Attachments

• comp6.jpg
    comp6.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 169
  • comp7.jpg
    comp7.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Had one, used it, hated it, sold it.

View attachment 187051

Our camera club went through a bit of an Oly fad. Sparked mostly by one person. He passed away, may he rest in peace, and the members who had bought the Oly gear mostly sold it all within six months. Realized what great images they were getting from cropped dSLR's, that with the right lenses the gear wasn't too burdensome, and went back to their Canons and Nikons. I think one woman in her early 70's with a bad shoulder kept the Oly, but has been using her iPhone much more than the 4/3 camera.

Furthermore, it's my opinion that the cropped sensors on the Canon M bodies probably far outshine the 4/3 sensor in any body. But that's just superstition, I suppose.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Furthermore, it's my opinion that the cropped sensors on the Canon M bodies probably far outshine the 4/3 sensor in any body. But that's just superstition, I suppose.

I completely agree. I went original Canon M to Olympus OM, was shocked at how mediocre the IQ was in any kind of low light, to Canon M5 with the 22 and the 18-150. If they bring out an M5 II I would be an early adopter.

In my opinion M4/3 is a non starter and the Canon M line of APS-C cameras the perfect combination of system size to IQ.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Rumblings from a paranoid online shopper always alert for paid influencers.

Plan for influencing.

1) Remember to be patient to establish trust.
2) Open an account on a forum focused on a competitor's products.
3) Claim to be a user/owner of competitor's products.
4) Prove it with a flickr page.
5) After a few months, have an epiphany, a "woke" moment, and discover the truth about your secret sponsor's gear.
6) Post a gushing little advertisement with a click-baity subject line, and suggestions such as "IF you love your big Canon's and Nikon's and large lenses, you might not after giving m4/3rds an honest try out." Be sure to use a little awkward phrasing to sound more authentic!

No offense intended to the original OP, but see what I'm getting at here?

An alternate narrative might be that a photographer was approached by Olympus in the past few months to start promoting their gear in various online forums.

And another narrative? We have a typical, innocent photographer who had a genuine conversion experience and has felt compelled to share with others.

Everywhere we turn, as shoppers, voters, etc., we have to sort out narratives!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes there are a few 'influencers' who have been conspicuous in their system changes and total disingenuousness about simple laws of physics that annoy the hell out of me. The two most egregious that spring to mind are Andy Rouse and Art Morris, bt so many people follow them and base purchasing decisions on what they and the like say, I find it very sad.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Plan for influencing.

5) After a few months, have an epiphany, a "woke" moment, and discover the truth about your secret sponsor's gear.
6) Post a gushing little advertisement with a click-baity subject line, and suggestions such as "IF you love your big Canon's and Nikon's and large lenses, you might not after giving m4/3rds an honest try out." Be sure to use a little awkward phrasing to sound more authentic!

An alternate narrative might be that a photographer was approached by Olympus in the past few months to start promoting their gear in various online forums.

And another narrative? We have a typical, innocent photographer who had a genuine conversion experience and has felt compelled to share with others.

Everywhere we turn, as shoppers, voters, etc., we have to sort out narratives!!!

Well said!:)

Upvote 0

If I love my big Canon's and Nikon's what? It doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Let me be clear--my above post is pure conjecture. If I were running an ad agency's social-media department, I'd be looking at ways to influence in forums where people clearly have an interest in the type of product being marketed--and indicate having enough income to buy stuff. The older, ham-fisted approaches aren't working well anymore (if they ever did), so, subtlety and patience are more important now.

Really, this could be a genuine conversion experience being shared here by somebody who loves ALL kinds of camera gear, with a kind of bewildering obliviousness involved in being on a largely Canon user site while boasting an impressive list of Oly gear in the profile blurb under the avatar. I'm not saying, please believe me, that this is a "Canon fans only" site. Just wondering what kind of discussion might be expected about a brand--and a format--that is mentioned so little here.

Truly, this is conjecture on my part, something I do when I have too much time on my hands or I am procrastinating painting, and not meant to be an attack on integrity. Just throwing it out there so the OP understands how his/her sudden shift in posting topics can be perceived as odd. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011

Plan for influencing.

Too much work for too little effect.

More likely, it's just our fellow forumite that got way too excited with their new toy right after the purchase. Give them time to do some low-light work and to realize that until Adobe comes up with content-aware noise correction, there is no replacement for displacement.

Upvote 0