EF 100-400 Replacement in 2013? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see no reason to either be excited or care about Canon lens releases anymore. With Nikon taking the lead in inflated pricing with the 80-400mm by charging a mind-blowing $2700, Canon is certain to do the same.

Since upgrading to FF, I've bought and returned a 24-70 F4 IS and a 35mm IS. I bet you can guess what I went with instead ;D I have also scrapped plans to buy the 70-200mm F2.8 IS L v2, targeting the Tamron F2.8 VC instead.

The days where Canon and Nikon could command massive margins over 3rd party due to higher quality are gone. H*ll, they can't even get rebates right. That last round increased pricing on half the items.

Upvote 0
shutterlag said:
I see no reason to either be excited or care about Canon lens releases anymore. With Nikon taking the lead in inflated pricing with the 80-400mm by charging a mind-blowing $2700, Canon is certain to do the same.

Since upgrading to FF, I've bought and returned a 24-70 F4 IS and a 35mm IS. I bet you can guess what I went with instead ;D I have also scrapped plans to buy the 70-200mm F2.8 IS L v2, targeting the Tamron F2.8 VC instead.

The days where Canon and Nikon could command massive margins over 3rd party due to higher quality are gone. H*ll, they can't even get rebates right. That last round increased pricing on half the items.

My daughter would say: +1

Upvote 0
shutterlag said:

so what other 100-400mm lens you have in mind.... ::)

it´s great when you have alternatives... no question.
but i don´t really see one for the 100-400mm, do you?

sigma? not the existing sigma lenses. nah.. sorry.

Upvote 0
shutterlag said:

As we can see, other 3rd party manufacturers can produce good lenses too. The new Sigmas or Tamrons show that. Some of you, who are technical fetishists, will say that the Canon lenses are about 5% better... But will this matter? If Canon will raise their pricing, I have other options.
That is like the mobile phone bubble. Do you realley need the iPhone 5? Or will an 3 or 4S be enough for you too?

I like the technical progress too. But there will be an limit if there is an big gap in price and performance.

Upvote 0
hamada said:
shutterlag said:

so what other 100-400mm lens you have in mind.... ::)

it´s great when you have alternatives... no question.
but i don´t really see one for the 100-400mm, do you?

sigma? not the existing sigma lenses. nah.. sorry.

Today there is no real alternative to the 100-400. Canon knows that. But I´ll be glad, thath the other manufacturers will react on this situation.

Upvote 0
shutterlag said:

I love my Canon gear for sure. But the Sticker price shock is wearing me down too.
Now I'm keeping a much closer eye on the competition than I ever did before, including bodies and whole systems. I can't say that I'm going to jump ship, but a few years ago even the thought of considering it never entered my mind. I guess I was confident that Canon would always be the best value gear (FF) for me. But the competition is fierce in every arena today, and Canon needs to to go all in to stay ahead.

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
Now I'm keeping a much closer eye on the competition than I ever did before, including bodies and whole systems. I can't say that I'm going to jump ship, but a few years ago even the thought of considering it never entered my mind. I guess I was confident that Canon would always be the best value gear (FF) for me. But the competition is fierce in every arena today, and Canon needs to to go all in to stay ahead.

well i am unable to guess what your talking about.
micro four third?

because when i look at nikon... i see exactly the same happen.
just look at the AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 II or the new 80-400mm.

ok the D800 looks like a good deal at first.
but beside the great sensor in the D800 i think the 5D MK3 is overall the better camera.

sony? ;D

pentax?

you don´t even know how long they will stay commited to DSLR cameras.

Upvote 0
hamada said:
daniela said:
Today there is no real alternative to the 100-400. Canon knows that. But I´ll be glad, thath the other manufacturers will react on this situation.

so in 2 years we maybe have an alternative... ;)

Maybe. Just think of the new Sigmas. Why should this not be possible?

Upvote 0
daniela said:
hamada said:
daniela said:

oh i hope it is.

only.. it´s a long time. :(

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
hamada said:
JPAZ said:
So, let me be sure I understand this (of course it is all speculation). My recent $1100 refurb 100-400 will be obsolete once this is released and I'll run out and spend 3 times that much for the replacement? ???

Somehow, I don't think so.....

you have to.. or you will be banned from this forum.

btw: your signature is to short... fix that.. buy more gear!!

So true. Same here. After waiting for a couple of years, I bought a refurbished 100-400 about a year and a half ago. It's a great lens and I'm in no hurry to replace it. I'll think about a new model – when the price drops and it shows up on the refurbished site, along with a 15% off sale. Meanwhile, I can enjoy this one for another 3-4 years.

Upvote 0
hamada said:
daniela said:
hamada said:
daniela said:

True. But I think it will be the same time, you have to save up money to buy the expensive Canon lenses...

oh i hope it is.

only.. it´s a long time. :(

True. But I think it will be the same time, you have to save up money to buy the expensive Canon lenses...

Upvote 0
I love my Canon gear for sure. But the Sticker price shock is wearing me down too.
[/quote]

I think the game changer will be the Sony FF NEX system. It just leaked that the A58 will be the last SLT model. That can mean only one thing- they learned well from their success with the RX-1. FF A-mount mirrorless is on the way. It'll be interesting to see how Canon and Nikon react to that. I expect Sony will implement a global shutter as well, so no more rolling shutter for video people.

Upvote 0
shutterlag said:
It'll be interesting to see how Canon and Nikon react to that.

Of course they are aware of the development and are doing a lot of r&d (that is missing in the traditional dslr segment), but my guess is that at least Canon will try to milk the old school dslr users dry as long as their luck lasts, and only introduce emerging tech in p&s formats.

People who like to experiment will buy Sony anyway, budget buyers will go for Nikon, and Canon cannot and probably doesn't want to beat the competition at their respective own games.

Upvote 0
shutterlag said:

I think the game changer will be the Sony FF NEX system. It just leaked that the A58 will be the last SLT model. That can mean only one thing- they learned well from their success with the RX-1. FF A-mount mirrorless is on the way. It'll be interesting to see how Canon and Nikon react to that. I expect Sony will implement a global shutter as well, so no more rolling shutter for video people.
[/quote]

I was personally surprised how good the image quality of the NEX-7 in combination with an 18-55mm is. Maybe this would be an lightweight alternative for mountain hiking. Half of the weight of my Canon gear. 24MP and an very ggod image quality. And I can use filters too

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.